DOJ Honors 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know it's still early, but has anyone's travel itinerary for their interview been faxed to them yet?

I'm always nervous that they didn't receive my travel survey. I wish they would let us email them instead of fax.

My first choice was the week of the 15th so hopefully the travel itinerary will come on the earlier side -- I'll be sure to post as soon as I get it.

I just got mine a few minutes ago by email. Strange.

Well, they did say that the travel itinerary info (if you have to fly/train outside your normal commuting area) would come by e-mail, but that then the central schedule stuff would be faxed (with another copy of your itinerary). Did you get the time of the interview by e-mail, or just the other travel stuff?

That would make sense. Thank you for explaining it. I received the flight information only. I have not yet received the fax with the rest of the information.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Well, they did say that the travel itinerary info (if you have to fly/train outside your normal commuting area) would come by e-mail, but that then the central schedule stuff would be faxed (with another copy of your itinerary). Did you get the time of the interview by e-mail, or just the other travel stuff?

That would make sense. Thank you for explaining it. I received the flight information only. I have not yet received the fax with the rest of the information.

Good to know they're moving on it all, anyway! :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:36 pm

Anyone have information on how EOIR 1 year vs 2 years works? I heard they are transitioning to 2 years, but idk if this depends on the individual court, or if its a OCIJ vs other divisions issue. Or if they are all 2 years now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know it's still early, but has anyone's travel itinerary for their interview been faxed to them yet?

I'm always nervous that they didn't receive my travel survey. I wish they would let us email them instead of fax.

My first choice was the week of the 15th so hopefully the travel itinerary will come on the earlier side -- I'll be sure to post as soon as I get it.

I just got mine a few minutes ago by email. Strange.

Well, they did say that the travel itinerary info (if you have to fly/train outside your normal commuting area) would come by e-mail, but that then the central schedule stuff would be faxed (with another copy of your itinerary). Did you get the time of the interview by e-mail, or just the other travel stuff?

They also said to start watching the fax machine on October 9th, so I hope they don't fax documents before then without warning.

anon5

Postby anon5 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:14 pm

Someone posted this question on Avue:
"EOIR's guidance states that applicants should not submit "a heavily-edited law review article or a judicial opinion." Does this mean that a lightly-edited judicial opinion is appropriate? Or, does "heavily edited" only refer to law review articles, and EOIR does not wish to review any judicial opinions?"
But it hasn't been answered yet.

Anyone have any thoughts? I was hoping to submit a lightly-edited judicial opinion, but don't want them to think I can't read instructions.

For the record, last year, I submitted an opinion and they didn't say anything about it. But I don't specifically remember the guidance saying anything like it does this year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:20 pm

anon5 wrote:Someone posted this question on Avue:
"EOIR's guidance states that applicants should not submit "a heavily-edited law review article or a judicial opinion." Does this mean that a lightly-edited judicial opinion is appropriate? Or, does "heavily edited" only refer to law review articles, and EOIR does not wish to review any judicial opinions?"

Anyone have any thoughts? I was hoping to submit a lightly-edited judicial opinion, but don't want them to think I can't read instructions.

For the record, last year, I submitted an opinion and they didn't say anything about it. But I don't specifically remember the guidance saying anything like it does this year.

I am also curious about this. I have one that was only edited by me that I would love to use.

Also, I received the fax not long after receiving the email (a few hours ago). I would go ahead and start checking the fax to be on the safe side.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:45 pm

So are we just supposed to trust that if the fax went through and came back as OK that DOJ received it? I'm a worrier and I don't trust antiquated stuff like fax machines.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So are we just supposed to trust that if the fax went through and came back as OK that DOJ received it? I'm a worrier and I don't trust antiquated stuff like fax machines.

The travel memo says that if they don't receive your fax, they will contact you. I don't know that I trust the coordinators any more than I trust fax machines, however.

anon1313

Postby anon1313 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have information on how EOIR 1 year vs 2 years works? I heard they are transitioning to 2 years, but idk if this depends on the individual court, or if its a OCIJ vs other divisions issue. Or if they are all 2 years now.

Would like insight on this question as well, especially as it relates to the EOIR OGC position - whether the position is 1 or 2 yrs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:07 am

Got my e-mailed itinerary this morning, too. In case it helps anyone, it seems that if you have interviews in two different parts of the country, they'll consolidate them into one trip with an overnight stay, rather than 2 same-day trips. (I had assumed the latter would be cheaper, avoiding the hotel, especially since the 2 cities I'm going to are across the country from another. But obviously I was wrong.)

Edited to add: now I've received a second itinerary... identical to the first, but has me leaving 2 hours earlier. No idea what this means. Argh!

Edited again: it means they changed my itinerary to get me there earlier, apparently. I don't know why they thought this was necessary, since the first one had me arriving at 9:15 am for a 1 pm interview, whereas now I arrive at 6:30 am for a 1 pm interview. I will get to know the airport well. Good times.

(I realize I am lucky to have this problem!)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got my e-mailed itinerary this morning, too. In case it helps anyone, it seems that if you have interviews in two different parts of the country, they'll consolidate them into one trip with an overnight stay, rather than 2 same-day trips. (I had assumed the latter would be cheaper, avoiding the hotel, especially since the 2 cities I'm going to are across the country from another. But obviously I was wrong.)

Edited to add: now I've received a second itinerary... identical to the first, but has me leaving 2 hours earlier. No idea what this means. Argh!

Edited again: it means they changed my itinerary to get me there earlier, apparently. I don't know why they thought this was necessary, since the first one had me arriving at 9:15 am for a 1 pm interview, whereas now I arrive at 6:30 am for a 1 pm interview. I will get to know the airport well. Good times.

Are you traveling the first week of the three weeks available? How does your itinerary line up with your travel survey preferences? Same question goes for anyone else who has gotten their travel dates already.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:35 pm

Huge favor to ask of people selected for USAO interviews. Could you PM me so I can ask some stats questions? Would really appreciate it and it would be confidential.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got my e-mailed itinerary this morning, too. In case it helps anyone, it seems that if you have interviews in two different parts of the country, they'll consolidate them into one trip with an overnight stay, rather than 2 same-day trips. (I had assumed the latter would be cheaper, avoiding the hotel, especially since the 2 cities I'm going to are across the country from another. But obviously I was wrong.)

Are you traveling the first week of the three weeks available? How does your itinerary line up with your travel survey preferences? Same question goes for anyone else who has gotten their travel dates already.

Yes, and I got all my first travel choices, actually. (I ranked dates pretty much at random but I figured I might as well get the interviews over with so I can concentrate on work again. That said, once they're done, I'll obsess about wanting to hear back, so my work is going to suffer either way...) Damn, I hope I don't use up all my good interview karma on getting the dates I preferred!

anon5

Postby anon5 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:16 pm

So how are you EOIR people that were waiting for a response re: lightly-edited judicial opinions handling it, since we haven't gotten any kind of response?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:25 am

anon5 wrote:So how are you EOIR people that were waiting for a response re: lightly-edited judicial opinions handling it, since we haven't gotten any kind of response?

So, here's the statutory analysis lawyer in me coming out: because the longer instruction reads, "The sample should be an original piece that has not been extensively edited by a third party (e.g., not a heavily-edited law review article or a judicial opinion).", and the portion in the parens modifies the general instruction, and the part in the parens also uses "e.g." (for example) rather than "i.e." (that is), I figured the point was to avoid editing by a third party, not a judicial opinion per se. So I submitted an order I wrote for the court where I'm clerking now. (My judge, god bless them, is not so much into editing, so this one was approved unchanged.) Also, to me "judicial opinion" implies some kind of appellate decision, which are generally edited to hell and gone. So I think the point was they want to see *your* writing, not that they care about the genre.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon5 wrote:Someone posted this question on Avue:

I am also curious about this. I have one that was only edited by me that I would love to use.

Also, I received the fax not long after receiving the email (a few hours ago). I would go ahead and start checking the fax to be on the safe side.

How long after receiving the email with your flight information did you get the fax? I got the email with my flight information early this morning, but still have not received the fax.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How long after receiving the email with your flight information did you get the fax? I got the email with my flight information early this morning, but still have not received the fax.

It was about 4 hours later, I think.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:42 pm

Anyone know what to expect for antitrust NYC interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have information on how EOIR 1 year vs 2 years works? I heard they are transitioning to 2 years, but idk if this depends on the individual court, or if its a OCIJ vs other divisions issue. Or if they are all 2 years now.

All OCIJ positions with the immigration courts are two year clerkships. One year is not an option and if you leave early without permission you get a note in your file regarding the circumstances re: your departure, as you would be violating your 2-year signed agreement. Prior to the 2010 hiring cycle it was a 1 year clerkship, but now it's a two year clerkship. (This year the Memphis Immigration Court is keeping a clerk for a 3rd year but I'm not sure why. 3rd year is highly unusual and definitely not required.)

I'm not sure about the other divisions in EOIR (namely BIA, OCAHO, OLAP, and OCG) since those are new positions. I am also curious how long those are if anyone finds out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:03 am

Is everyone nervous, excited, terrified, elated? I can't wait to go interview, but I am trembling with anxiety.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is everyone nervous, excited, terrified, elated? I can't wait to go interview, but I am trembling with anxiety.

Got my travel itinerary today. Very excited! Not too anxious yet but I suspect I will be as the time draws near.
I'll prep a lot to help reduce anxiety.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:39 pm

I still haven't received my travel information... should I be concerned?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I still haven't received my travel information... should I be concerned?

Somewhere in all the info it says not to contact them about not getting your travel info unless you haven't received it by October 24. It also says that you may not receive it until the Wednesday before the week you're traveling. So while I totally understand wanting to know when you're interviewing, I don't think you have anything to worry about for a while.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:57 pm

I got EOIR travel info this morning for San Diego.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:22 pm

How do you handle thank yous for panel interviews where the coordinator wouldn't give you the names in advance and you don't remember them all?

Return to “Legal Employment”