DOJ Honors 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else still not gotten their component-specific email (but has been selected for an interview)?

Yes. What 3 components did you select? Civ, Crim, and USAO here.

Actually just got my email, so nevermind. (It wasn't one of your components).

Also, I just saw this on the Community Tab of Avue: Deana Willis posted something that said everyone should have their component-specific email (except for US Trustee and specific sections of EOIR), so I think you should have received your email by now...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:58 pm

anon5 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those selected for OCIJ, do you interview with a particular location, or do you interview wherever is closest to where you currently live for all potential locations?

They interview in Falls Church, VA (EOIR HQ), San Diego, New York, and San Antonio. Whatever is nearest to you.

Thanks! Do you know if that still holds true if you are interviewing for multiple components?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:00 pm

evm003 wrote:Has anyone gotten an email regarding ENRD? I'm in the same boat as some of the above posters - was "application received" last night but this morning I am "components referred." I wonder if/hope ENRD is behind schedule.

That'd be nice because I applied to ENRD too, but I'm not going to hold out hope. One disappointment is bad enough.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
evm003 wrote:Has anyone gotten an email regarding ENRD? I'm in the same boat as some of the above posters - was "application received" last night but this morning I am "components referred." I wonder if/hope ENRD is behind schedule.

That'd be nice because I applied to ENRD too, but I'm not going to hold out hope. One disappointment is bad enough.

Someone posted earlier today that they'd got an e-mail telling them they'd been selected by ENRD. Unfortunately Deana Willis posted this afternoon that if your status hasn't changed to selected for an interview, you haven't been chosen at this time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:11 pm

Still nobody that can confirm criminal?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Still nobody that can confirm criminal?

Criminal was sent today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:23 pm

Can't confirm it; however...
[A] few minutes ago we issued a general email message to everyone currently selected for interview. Again, the specific notification messages identifying the selecting components probably will go out tomorrow. All the hiring components (except OSG) are moving forward, but as soon as we notify folks, we'll see withdrawals start hitting the system as people who accepted other positions update their application status. As the components get greater clarity, they will likely supplement their interview lists.
- Deana Willis (Tue Sep 25, 2012 02:17 PM)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:39 pm

My status switched from "received by DOJ" to "Application referred to components" today. No interview email yet... are they reviewing in batches?

Edit: I'm an ENRD-only person

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My status switched from "received by DOJ" to "Application referred to components" today. No interview email yet... are they reviewing in batches?

Edit: I'm an ENRD-only person

Sorry to bear bad news, but the DOJ OARM person posted that if you don't have notice that you've been selected to interview at this point, you haven't been selected for an interview. (Though there is the possibility slots will open later as people accept offers; I guess nothing is really over until mid-October when all interview lists are finalized.) There was a post earlier ITT that ENRD has sent its e-mails.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:04 pm

I got the component specific criminal invite just after lunch today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon5 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those selected for OCIJ, do you interview with a particular location, or do you interview wherever is closest to where you currently live for all potential locations?

They interview in Falls Church, VA (EOIR HQ), San Diego, New York, and San Antonio. Whatever is nearest to you.

Thanks! Do you know if that still holds true if you are interviewing for multiple components?

Can confirm multiple components selection within EOIR. OCIJ and OGC interviews. At what point do we 1) find out which OCIJ courts are hiring (and how many); 2) get to express preference about geography. I'm interested in NE/DC only. I read that we fill out preference sheet at interview.

Listed: 1) EOIR 2) NSD. Didn't make the NSD cut.

For the interested - stats below
T2 law school
Grades: modest
Clinical Immigration work (award winning)
Post law school immigration fellowship
Military Intelligence Vet
Masters degree (thesis addressed immigration policy)
DoD Honors Legal Internship
Other fed govt legal internship

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:17 pm

What are you all doing with your SA offers? Any suggestions on how to phrase an extension request?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:33 pm

anyone have any stats of how many people that actually interview per division? i know they have the number of positions available but not sure what the odds are.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone have any stats of how many people that actually interview per division? i know they have the number of positions available but not sure what the odds are.

Unfortunately I think quite a few. In 2010, HLS alone had 40 interviewees.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone have any stats of how many people that actually interview per division? i know they have the number of positions available but not sure what the odds are.

I heard between 5 and 10 people per spot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can confirm multiple components selection within EOIR. OCIJ and OGC interviews. At what point do we 1) find out which OCIJ courts are hiring (and how many); 2) get to express preference about geography. I'm interested in NE/DC only. I read that we fill out preference sheet at interview.

I think preferences are at interviews; I wonder if it is city specific or the same as the online form (regions only). Hopefully cities.

I've been selected for multiple components within EOIR but I don't know if that means all of my interviews happen in D.C., or if I interview with OCIJ in my city and then go to D.C. for other components.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

But how many of those were EOIR vs other components.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

But how many of those were EOIR vs other components.

No idea. This is a very rough proxy, but shows very few grads doing EOIR.
http://www.law.harvard.edu/current/care ... llows.html

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've been selected for multiple components within EOIR but I don't know if that means all of my interviews happen in D.C., or if I interview with OCIJ in my city and then go to D.C. for other components.

I got the impression that if you have an interview with components in DC, you interview for OCIJ in DC as well, though I can't remember exactly why I think that. Mostly because they emphasize that if you have multiple interviews they'll all be on the same day, and I can't see why they'd want to pay to transport people to both DC and the regional OCIJ when they can pay for one flight/whatever to DC. (There is a statement, "Candidates selected by more than one EOIR branch should report first to OCIJ [in Falls Church]." But it's not entirely clear.) I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've been selected for multiple components within EOIR but I don't know if that means all of my interviews happen in D.C., or if I interview with OCIJ in my city and then go to D.C. for other components.

I got the impression that if you have an interview with components in DC, you interview for OCIJ in DC as well, though I can't remember exactly why I think that. Mostly because they emphasize that if you have multiple interviews they'll all be on the same day, and I can't see why they'd want to pay to transport people to both DC and the regional OCIJ when they can pay for one flight/whatever to DC. (There is a statement, "Candidates selected by more than one EOIR branch should report first to OCIJ [in Falls Church]." But it's not entirely clear.) I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Yup! I live in a city where they are interviewing for OCIJ so it's no big deal for me either way, but I am curious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are you all doing with your SA offers? Any suggestions on how to phrase an extension request?

Are you thinking of SLIP? The Honors Program is for permanent jobs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are you all doing with your SA offers? Any suggestions on how to phrase an extension request?

No, I mean FT offer from my summer firm. Obviously I need to tell them what's going on and why I haven't responded, but I don't know how.

anon5

Postby anon5 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think preferences are at interviews; I wonder if it is city specific or the same as the online form (regions only). Hopefully cities.

I've been selected for multiple components within EOIR but I don't know if that means all of my interviews happen in D.C., or if I interview with OCIJ in my city and then go to D.C. for other components.

I interviewed with OCIJ last year (and will again this year) and can confirm that you do in fact get to express preference for specific cities. Your interviewer will provide you a map with all the courts that have openings/they're hiring for. You get to list up to 5 specific locations. There is then the opportunity to check a box that says that you're willing to go anywhere. I was told last year that they make decisions about whether to hire someone and then look to their location preferences and what is still available at that point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anyone else EOIR OGC? Wonder how many are interviewing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No, I mean FT offer from my summer firm. Obviously I need to tell them what's going on and why I haven't responded, but I don't know how.

Oh, sorry! My bad - I use different terms in my head. I think you pretty much just have to bite the bullet and ask for an extension. You could probably just say you have other interviews pending and you want to pursue all your options? Of course if you want to ask per the NALP guidelines about public interest, then you might have to specify you're waiting on Honors. FWIW, if Honors doesn't work out and you end up accepting at the firm, I don't think that later anyone at the firm will remember or care about the reason for you getting an extension on your offer.

Return to “Legal Employment”