DOJ Honors 2013 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Pufer

Bronze

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Post by Pufer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Pufer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Are there any current EOIR clerks out there? If so could you PM me? I would love to get a little more information. Thanks!
Can't PM you if you're posting anonymously.

-Pufer
Are you a current JLC?
Yah. AA.

-Pufer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:11 pm

I've been going through all the prior posts and not sure of the answer...

Have any EOIR - OCIJ finalists received offers for the Northeast region? If so, when were your references checked? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:55 pm

Have any EOIR-OCIJ applicants received offers for the West Coast/9th Circuit?

hefferlump

New

Post by hefferlump » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:21 pm

And if you have, feel free to get in touch! I'm in the 9th Cir!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have any EOIR-OCIJ applicants received offers for the West Coast/9th Circuit?
Yes I know at least 3 offers in the 9th circuit thus far (all at different courts).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:38 pm

Anyone know what forms we have to fill out for clearances for EOIR? I know the SF-85P, but do we have to fill out the SF-85P-S with all the drug questions also?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what forms we have to fill out for clearances for EOIR? I know the SF-85P, but do we have to fill out the SF-85P-S with all the drug questions also?
Current AA here - two years ago I had to fill out an SF-86 which had drug questions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know what forms we have to fill out for clearances for EOIR? I know the SF-85P, but do we have to fill out the SF-85P-S with all the drug questions also?
Current AA here - two years ago I had to fill out an SF-86 which had drug questions.
Hmm. I was told that we had to do an SF-85P. This is so stressful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Well maybe they changed it. Maybe a 1st year JLC can tell you which form they filled out last year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anon5

New

Post by anon5 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You've already gotten info on paperwork for the background check? I haven't heard anything since I accepted my offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:46 pm

anon5 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You've already gotten info on paperwork for the background check? I haven't heard anything since I accepted my offer.
I have not received any information since accepting my offer. I have several skeletons and so am concerned about how much of that will be relevant to the background check and whether I should even bother continuing the process.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have not received any information since accepting my offer. I have several skeletons and so am concerned about how much of that will be relevant to the background check and whether I should even bother continuing the process.
As long as you are honest you will be fine. A friend of mine accepted a position at Dept of State and was very concerned due to prior drug use but he was fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have not received any information since accepting my offer. I have several skeletons and so am concerned about how much of that will be relevant to the background check and whether I should even bother continuing the process.
As long as you are honest you will be fine. A friend of mine accepted a position at Dept of State and was very concerned due to prior drug use but he was fine.
How much drug stuff, if you don't mind me asking?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:43 pm

I have got the paperwork for my background check. Not for EOIR, but the paperwork seems to be directed at all Honors hires (e.g. it refers to different specific components, including EOIR), and you have to fill out the SF-86, which does have drug questions. [Sorry, didn't look at the forms closely enough.]
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have got the paperwork for my background check. Not for EOIR, but the paperwork seems to be directed at all Honors hires (e.g. it refers to different specific components, including EOIR), and you have to fill out the SF-86, which does have drug questions.
Do you know if the drug history questions go back 7 or 10 years?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have got the paperwork for my background check. Not for EOIR, but the paperwork seems to be directed at all Honors hires (e.g. it refers to different specific components, including EOIR), and you have to fill out the SF-86, which does have drug questions.
Why don't you just look up a SF-86 form?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Why don't you just look up a SF-86 form?
I have, but I have heard that there is a version that goes back 10 years, whereas the SF-86 I've found goes back 7.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:37 pm

There's also a thread on background checks on TLS started sometime recently. I also remember the OCIJ I interviewed with gave me a contact for someone to call regarding background checks. I'd suggest calling about details.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's the current form, which asks for 7 years. Sorry to be vague - I'm really boring (plus old) so it's not an issue for me, so I didn't pay very close attention. Plus I completed the form through an incredibly annoying online interface, so it looks a little different from the paper form, and once you're done you can't go back and look at it again, so I can't confirm for absolutely sure that's correct. But I remember someone here mentioning they'd changed the requirement recently, so I'm pretty sure it's 7.

Also, when you get an offer letter and the background check materials, they'll give you info about who to contact with questions about the background check, and they emphasized that you should call if you have any questions or concerns, so I would get in touch with them if you think there will be problems.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:44 am

Seriously hand to god what the hell. There are so many of us waiting for jobs on this thread. Make your own f'ing thread for *accepted offers/background checks,* what is wrong with you? Remember three days ago when you were frantically checking this thread for a job. Yeah, that's how it is for most of us. So - please - make a proper thread for those of you who have accepted/are awaiting background checks.

Thank you so much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:11 am

Is Antitrust included among those specific components? It just doesn't make sense for it or Civil Rights, and a lot of other components. SF-86 is supposed to be for jobs related to national security. Even using an SF85P-S (supplemental) requires authorization from the OPM and a specific reason that the material therein is needed and relevant. And I've heard the supplemental is not very common-- like I am certain DEA uses it but am not aware of others.

Also,
Seriously hand to god what the hell. There are so many of us waiting for jobs on this thread. Make your own f'ing thread for *accepted offers/background checks,* what is wrong with you? Remember three days ago when you were frantically checking this thread for a job. Yeah, that's how it is for most of us. So - please - make a proper thread for those of you who have accepted/are awaiting background checks.
This thread is titled "DOJ Honors 2013," not "DOJ Honors *Application Process/ Waiting Thread 2013*" We ARE in the proper thread, and you can go make "your own f'ing thread" for people who are still waiting on EOIR/OCIJ if you want a thread where that is the only thing discussed.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:05 am

Look, I don't want to upset anyone - I'm just sharing information to answer a question, which is what I thought the thread was about.
Anonymous User wrote: Is Antitrust included among those specific components? It just doesn't make sense for it or Civil Rights, and a lot of other components. SF-86 is supposed to be for jobs related to national security. Even using an SF85P-S (supplemental) requires authorization from the OPM and a specific reason that the material therein is needed and relevant. And I've heard the supplemental is not very common-- like I am certain DEA uses it but am not aware of others.
You know, I looked at the forms again and I have to backtrack a bit. The checklist I have is called "Honors Program Forms Checklist," but that checklist doesn't actually specify SF-86 - it talks about what you have to fill out *in addition to completing the e-QIP process* (online form). For me, what I filled out through e-QIP was the SF-86 so I equated the two in my head. But there's a form on the checklist that you have to fill out (credit release) marked "not required if SF-86 is completed," so clearly the SF-86 isn't automatically mandatory. (However, if you do fill out the SF-86, it looks at the last 7 years.) Then Crim, EOIR, Tax, and USTP have component-specific forms to fill out, too. Sorry to mislead.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:12 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Look, I don't want to upset anyone - I'm just sharing information to answer a question, which is what I thought the thread was about.
Anonymous User wrote: Is Antitrust included among those specific components? It just doesn't make sense for it or Civil Rights, and a lot of other components. SF-86 is supposed to be for jobs related to national security. Even using an SF85P-S (supplemental) requires authorization from the OPM and a specific reason that the material therein is needed and relevant. And I've heard the supplemental is not very common-- like I am certain DEA uses it but am not aware of others.
You know, I looked at the forms again and I have to backtrack a bit. The checklist I have is called "Honors Program Forms Checklist," but that checklist doesn't actually specify SF-86 - it talks about what you have to fill out *in addition to completing the e-QIP process* (online form). For me, what I filled out through e-QIP was the SF-86 so I equated the two in my head. But there's a form on the checklist that you have to fill out (credit release) marked "not required if SF-86 is completed," so clearly the SF-86 isn't automatically mandatory. (However, if you do fill out the SF-86, it looks at the last 7 years.) Then Crim, EOIR, Tax, and USTP have component-specific forms to fill out, too. Sorry to mislead.
Thank you so much for the info. I think several of us ITT are more nervous about that aspect than the actual application.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:29 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”