DOJ Honors 2013 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:27 am

I didn't check my status, but I did need to update my reference info for OCIJ, and I contacted the admin assistant whose contact info the ACIJ I interviewed with had given me for if I had any questions about the process (because, the ACIJ said, the AA knew way more about the logistics than she did). Her last name was Kuiken and she did get back to me to say they would update my file (though I emailed so it took about 10 days - now I'd phone). (if you didn't get given her contact info I would NOT try contacting her, but presumably you were given someone's contact info?). If you didn't get any other info, I would try the recruiting people listed on the DOJ web page (Inez Patton and a second person I forget).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:In case it hasn't been clarified yet for candidates who are finalists at two EOIR components - the components will coordinate and issue ONE offer. (I know this because a friend who was a double finalist received an offer last week, and she asked.)
Thank you for sharing this!! I totally wondered about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I didn't check my status, but I did need to update my reference info for OCIJ, and I contacted the admin assistant whose contact info the ACIJ I interviewed with had given me for if I had any questions about the process (because, the ACIJ said, the AA knew way more about the logistics than she did). Her last name was Kuiken and she did get back to me to say they would update my file (though I emailed so it took about 10 days - now I'd phone). (if you didn't get given her contact info I would NOT try contacting her, but presumably you were given someone's contact info?). If you didn't get any other info, I would try the recruiting people listed on the DOJ web page (Inez Patton and a second person I forget).
Thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:54 pm

I don't know if there's any non-immigration people left on here, but it's worth a shot: anyone hear from the Chicago USAO?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Of course it's risky. I acknowledged that. If she is risk averse, then go with the firm job. Bragging, hardly. But it's proper to point out the other opportunity she had in lieu of OCIJ. Turning down a lot of money says a lot about a person, whether you agree or not. It's all about credibility in pursing public service...govt workers want to see that you're dedicated to the mission of public service - they always ask, "why govt". pointing out opportunities one has passed up is wholly relevant and increases credibility.
I don't know, if you're trying to get out of OCIJ and have to explain why you want to do something else, I don't know that talking about the other kind of work you also decided you didn't want to do is going to make you look dedicated to public service - it's going to make you look like you keep trying things and deciding you don't like them.
It seems OP may have decided on a course of action, but I think this point needs addressing. The idea that one is more or less "stuck" in a practice area and it's impossible to switch.

First, one's first job out of law school is not career determinative, even if it is a 2yr clerkship with an Immigration court. Every lawyer will tell you that. Admittedly, even after the first job it would be challenging to switch directions, but it's far from impossible and people do it all the time. All the time. I encourage all doubters to do a bit of LinkedIn stalking and follow a few lawyer's professional trajectories.

That's like saying if you get your first job as a PD (State Prosecutor) doing misdemeanors, all you'll ever do is criminal litigation. As if all other opportunities are foreclosed because of 2 yrs of low-level defense work. Complete and utter non-sense.

Similarly (perhaps even OP), takes the firm job and gets placed in the corporate securities group, that's like saying she'll never have the chance to real estate, white collar criminal, or tax law (assuming she's interested in these areas). Especially, if only working in this group for a couple years. I suggest everyone chill out and realize that the path to one's goals/dreams isn't necessarily a straight line.

I refuse to believe that if someone takes their first job out of law school in an area for which they may not want to practice forever, then all bets are off - they're doomed to work in that area for the rest of their legal careers. C'mon on folks. You're smarter than that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It seems OP may have decided on a course of action, but I think this point needs addressing. The idea that one is more or less "stuck" in a practice area and it's impossible to switch.

First, one's first job out of law school is not career determinative, even if it is a 2yr clerkship with an Immigration court. Every lawyer will tell you that. Admittedly, even after the first job it would be challenging to switch directions, but it's far from impossible and people do it all the time. All the time. I encourage all doubters to do a bit of LinkedIn stalking and follow a few lawyer's professional trajectories.

That's like saying if you get your first job as a PD (State Prosecutor) doing misdemeanors, all you'll ever do is criminal litigation. As if all other opportunities are foreclosed because of 2 yrs of low-level defense work. Complete and utter non-sense.

Similarly (perhaps even OP), takes the firm job and gets placed in the corporate securities group, that's like saying she'll never have the chance to real estate, white collar criminal, or tax law (assuming she's interested in these areas). Especially, if only working in this group for a couple years. I suggest everyone chill out and realize that the path to one's goals/dreams isn't necessarily a straight line.

I refuse to believe that if someone takes their first job out of law school in an area for which they may not want to practice forever, then all bets are off - they're doomed to work in that area for the rest of their legal careers. C'mon on folks. You're smarter than that.
I don't think people are always stuck in a practice area, or that careers run in a straight line. Obviously people change gears all the time. But I think there's usually some kind of thread that ties career changes together (e.g. going from USAO to become a criminal defense lawyer is a significant switch, but there's a logic to that path). Also, I do think changing gears in a firm - switching practice groups - is easier than changing gears in the federal government, where jobs tend to be much more specialized (so a person working for the EPA isn't just specializing in environmental law, they're specializing in specific sections of specific environmental statutes). Particularly here, where the JLC is *so* immigration-specific, and provides a range of valuable but relatively narrow skills.

Of course changing gears isn't impossible, but most of the people here are probably fairly risk-adverse, career-wise ;), so when faced with a route of less resistance - going to the big firm and lateraling into DOJ laters - many people here would favor that.

The last thing is that this is a person who has stated they know they have no interest in practicing immigration law. I think most people who change gears go into a field thinking it *is* an area in which they'd like to practice, and changes develop sort of organically from that. Doing Biglaw for 3-5 years to pay off debts may be an exception, in that a lot of people do that with a plan to switch to another area later, but there are lots of ways to make that time serve a lot of potential future careers. It still seems a little counterproductive to pick an immigration law clerkship over a big firm to get into a different area of DOJ - I mean, it's not crazy, given that the JLC is in DOJ, but it doesn't seem like the most sensible path.

All that said - sure, it's not going to doom the OP for life, and it's certainly their job to take or not take.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know if there's any non-immigration people left on here, but it's worth a shot: anyone hear from the Chicago USAO?
Also non-immigration, though I don't have any info for you (sorry). Anyone hear from AFMLS?

Anonymous User

USTP

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:06 pm

Who were your interviewers? Also, what are exit options from a major field office like NY or DC? Smaller field offices?

Anonymous User

Re: USTP

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Who were your interviewers? Also, what are exit options from a major field office like NY or DC? Smaller field offices?
Sorry for any confusion. This is USTP only.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:02 pm

OCIJ/BIA #16 update- Rec'd an offer from OCIJ. They're still coming! Good luck all!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:23 am

OCIJ/BIA #16:

Congratulations!

Would you mind sharing the region/location of the offer? Were all of your references contacted? When did you receive the offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:52 am

Congratulations, #16!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:I don't know if there's any non-immigration people left on here, but it's worth a shot: anyone hear from the Chicago USAO?
I'm also waiting to hear from them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:OCIJ/BIA #16:

Congratulations!

Would you mind sharing the region/location of the offer? Were all of your references contacted? When did you receive the offer?

Region was not in my top 5. Southwest. My references were contacted and I heard from them on Friday. I wish you the best!

nifkin

New

Post by nifkin » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:43 am

If any EOIR-OCIJ finalists on the board chose the mid-atlantic region (PA, MD, VA, NJ) as their preferred location, will you PM me? Just want to compare notes as this waiting is making me a little crazy!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:54 pm

EOIR/OCIJ Finalist #7 here -- offer received late this morning. 1st choice location (Mid-Atlantic). References contacted before Thanksgiving; last one submitted late last Thurs. Offers are still trickling out!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:EOIR/OCIJ Finalist #7 here -- offer received late this morning. 1st choice location (Mid-Atlantic). References contacted before Thanksgiving; last one submitted late last Thurs. Offers are still trickling out!
Super jealous! Congrats and thanks for the update!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:19 pm

Hi, sorry to ask again but has anyone had or heard of (1) references being checked for or (2) an offer an offer for EOIR OGC/OCAHO/OLAP? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:35 pm

Has anyone - other than the one Arizona applicant - heard from ANY U.S. Attorney's Office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi, sorry to ask again but has anyone had or heard of (1) references being checked for or (2) an offer an offer for EOIR OGC/OCAHO/OLAP? Thanks!
I've posted here before... nothing from OGC (EOIR). References haven't been contacted.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:20 pm

Any word from Antitrust SF?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Were you selected as a finalist?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Were you selected as a finalist?
Nope -- hoping that's not a de facto ding

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:34 pm

Different poster than above, but similar topic.

Has anyone here been named a USAO finalist?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Different poster than above, but similar topic.

Has anyone here been named a USAO finalist?
I got one of the offers already referred to, and yes, I was named a finalist, the week before Thanksgiving. (Not sure if you wanted to hear from someone with an offer, but in case it's helpful.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”