DOJ Honors 2013 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:51 pm

My status finally changed to Selected for Interview. Had gotten the email a while ago and posted then, but if anyone cares, my status finally did change.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:59 pm

Has anyone applied to or received an interview for the Environmental Division? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:08 pm

Civil rights?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:12 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:T10
School Doesn't Rank
EOIR
Target: Anywhere

Lots of immigration and refugee law experience.

Still at Application Received. I'm not going to panic yet though as I imagine they are still doing elibility review.
Got e-mail about interview.

For everyone who didn't get it yet, don't lose hope! It didn't say anything about all the e-mails going out at once and it's possible they're still coming :).
Per DOJ "As a follow-up, a few minutes ago we issued a general email message to everyone currently selected for interview. Again, the specific notification messages identifying the selecting components probably will go out tomorrow."

Sounds like everyone who has been selected for an interview has been sent a general email message. So, as of now, no email = no interview. :(

mmg3327

New

Post by mmg3327 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think both ATR and Crim only interview those that rank them #1.
Does anyone know if this is true? I ranked the U.S. Attorney's Office #1 and Crim #2. Haven't been "referred to components." Haven't received an interview e-mail. Now I'm worried that Crim didn't even bother reading my application....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:53 pm

I don't think anyone has had an e-mail yet from a specific component (though tell me if I'm wrong). I think the people who are identifying components know that's the component that picked them because they only ranked one component.

(edited to add: for the person asking about ENRD - I did apply to them. But I don't know if they picked me or not.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Grades: Top 10%
Journal: Law Review and Secondary IP Journal
Department: Antitrust
Geographic Target: DC or San Francisco

Experience: All public interest. Been working in antitrust at the AG's office in a big state since the start of 2L year (except for a couple months this summer doing non-antitrust government work in DC) and am still there. Got to check the box for intellectual property experience and coursework; I'll have taken 4 IP classes at the end of this semester. No economics degree.

Found out today that they called my supervisor at the AG's. Sometime between yesterday and right now, my status changed to "referred to Components." So excited. =D
Got the interview email today!!! =D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:43 pm

Anyone with crim received an email?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone with crim received an email?
Had Crim as my top and two other litigating components listed.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:03 pm

Can someone clarify what the litigating components are?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can someone clarify what the litigating components are?
Antitrust
Civil
Civil Rights
Criminal
Tax

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:34 am

I wonder what they mean when they say we will be notified of the components today. Under EOIR there are five hiring components. I wonder if we will know which one or just that we were selected by EOIR. It would be great to be able to send different writing samples for different components. If not, I definitely will not complain. I'm just excited and curious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:I wonder what they mean when they say we will be notified of the components today. Under EOIR there are five hiring components. I wonder if we will know which one or just that we were selected by EOIR. It would be great to be able to send different writing samples for different components. If not, I definitely will not complain. I'm just excited and curious.
+1. I am interested to find out if you're assigned to a component generally, or a branch within the component. (e.g. Do I interview with Civil or do I interview with Federal Programs Branch.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:41 am

Yesterday, my status was "application received", and I figured the game was up and it was time to move on. Today my status is "referred to components".

I have no idea what's going on anymore.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Yesterday, my status was "application received", and I figured the game was up and it was time to move on. Today my status is "referred to components".

I have no idea what's going on anymore.
I'm in the same boat and logged in just to say that.

I'm assuming, since I didn't get an email, that this means I was not selected. I'll wait until October for the official ding.

If you want to be optimistic, then maybe it is from people denying interview spots. She did say that could happen.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I wonder what they mean when they say we will be notified of the components today. Under EOIR there are five hiring components. I wonder if we will know which one or just that we were selected by EOIR. It would be great to be able to send different writing samples for different components. If not, I definitely will not complain. I'm just excited and curious.
+1. I am interested to find out if you're assigned to a component generally, or a branch within the component. (e.g. Do I interview with Civil or do I interview with Federal Programs Branch.)
Yeah, I totally wonder this too. I had assumed it would just be the general component, but that was based on going through this for SLIP, when I was interviewed by a division that didn't make you rank any internal components, so it really doesn't transfer. I think (from digging around for travel info) that for EOIR, if you're interviewing for an immigration courts position, you go to one of a bunch of field offices that's closest to you, rather than DC - which sort of suggests that if it's not an courts position, you go to DC, and you'd know who's interviewing you.

But I suppose speculation is sort of dumb since we'll find out soon enough! (I'm just totally curious, too.)

evm003

New

Post by evm003 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:19 am

Has anyone gotten an email regarding ENRD? I'm in the same boat as some of the above posters - was "application received" last night but this morning I am "components referred." I wonder if/hope ENRD is behind schedule.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:53 am

evm003 wrote:Has anyone gotten an email regarding ENRD? I'm in the same boat as some of the above posters - was "application received" last night but this morning I am "components referred." I wonder if/hope ENRD is behind schedule.
Same, finally referred to components this morning. Only applied to ENRD.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:29 am

I also switched to referred to components today. I applied to ENRD and two others.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
evm003 wrote:Has anyone gotten an email regarding ENRD? I'm in the same boat as some of the above posters - was "application received" last night but this morning I am "components referred." I wonder if/hope ENRD is behind schedule.
Same, finally referred to components this morning. Only applied to ENRD.
I did not apply to ENRD and I was referred to components.

mmg3327

New

Post by mmg3327 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:50 am

I don't think being switched to "referred to components" today means anything. Deana Willis made it pretty clear that everyone gets referred to the components, but that it was going to take time yesterday to update everyone's status. If you got selected for an interview (and I didn't), you'd see that on your application status.

My (purely speculative) guess is that most of the people who had their status switched from "application received by DOJ" to "referred to components" submitted their apps on Sept. 4, the day of the deadline, rather than before and that DOJ is just now updating those statuses.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:53 am

This is pure anecdote, but I know of at least one instance of status changing to "referred to components" when someone from the component actually looks at the application.
mmg3327 wrote:I don't think being switched to "referred to components" today means anything. Deana Willis made it pretty clear that everyone gets referred to the components, but that it was going to take time yesterday to update everyone's status. If you got selected for an interview (and I didn't), you'd see that on your application status.

My (purely speculative) guess is that most of the people who had their status switched from "application received by DOJ" to "referred to components" submitted their apps on Sept. 4, the day of the deadline, rather than before and that DOJ is just now updating those statuses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:22 am

mmg3327 wrote:I don't think being switched to "referred to components" today means anything. Deana Willis made it pretty clear that everyone gets referred to the components, but that it was going to take time yesterday to update everyone's status. If you got selected for an interview (and I didn't), you'd see that on your application status.

Well, I applied on the 4th (as in, 2 hours before the deadline on the 4th) and went to "referred to components" last week. So I don't think it's only that. I thought Deana Willis said everyone was referred to components, but the online status didn't always reflect that - so maybe a particular component made their decisions yesterday, changed those they'd selected to "selected for interview," and belatedly changed those they hadn't selected to "referred to components" today? But that, too, is pure speculation. (I wonder if anyone went straight from "received" to "selected for interview"?)

When I applied to SLIP one year, I never got "referred to components" before the interview notifications went out - I stayed at "application received" (and I didn't get an interview). I don't know if the status later changed to "referred to components," though, because I didn't go back and check. (And it was SLIP, not HP, so not necessarily the same.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:28 am

Got the interview e-mail yesterday. Status finally changed today from "Referred to Components" to "Selected for Interview." Now if only they'd send out the components email!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:00 pm

Got notification that I have an interview with one of the USAOs. Am kind of shocked, honestly. (Though I have experience which is kind of relevant for the district in question.)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”