Clerkship Offer Etiquette

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerkship Offer Etiquette

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:48 am

I know the prevailing wisdom is that federal clerkships once you get an offer you cannot say no to.

Is this true for state courts also? Like a state superior court or trial court?

Anonymous User

Re: Clerkship Offer Etiquette

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:07 pm

Would love to get a consensus view on this as well. I believe if you are the fence about taking it or are sure you won't accept if offered, it's best to decline the interview and cut the process off right there. I think it's awkward to tell the judge you're entertaining offers at the same level except in the case of some high-level COA interviews where the judge clearly knows you're interviewing with others (could be dead wrong on this as well).
Other than that I wouldn't do anything that jeopardizes your credibility with a judge that would put you in a negative light should you appear in front of them down the line regardless if it's state or federal court.

Anonymous User

Re: Clerkship Offer Etiquette

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:10 pm

I'm in an awkward position now where I have several court-level clerkships but also a few other promising higher paying job callbacks but which won't happen till October/November.

I'm worried because obviously without anything lined up I want to just get a job as my number one priority, but at the same time don't want to be forced into accepting a state clerkship.

Return to “Legal Employment”