Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Tanicius

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Tanicius » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewer: (looking at my resume and other information they requested) I must say, you somehow overcame such a poor academic performance in law school to have such a position as you currently have, along with your body of work and reputation. This firm only hires those with excellent academic credentials.

Me: My current employer didn't hire me to take law school exams. They hired me to be a lawyer. Did I misread your job opening stating you were looking to hire someone to take law school exams?

The interviewer huffed and puffed and it went downhill from there. This was not the response they were looking for.

Dude, you insulted the very reason that interviewer got his job.

....Bravo.

KingofSplitters55

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:45 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interviewer: (looking at my resume and other information they requested) I must say, you somehow overcame such a poor academic performance in law school to have such a position as you currently have, along with your body of work and reputation. This firm only hires those with excellent academic credentials.

Me: My current employer didn't hire me to take law school exams. They hired me to be a lawyer. Did I misread your job opening stating you were looking to hire someone to take law school exams?

The interviewer huffed and puffed and it went downhill from there. This was not the response they were looking for.

....Bravo.

Telling the truth to someone who thinks law school grades mean something was worth it though I bet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:04 pm

KingofSplitters55 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:

....Bravo.

Telling the truth to someone who thinks law school grades mean something was worth it though I bet.

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:19 pm

Cerberaus wrote:I've been trying to break into another market and had several interviews with firms from that city. After three screener interviews with firms from that city, I got sick of hearing that they only hiring applicants from said city. The fourth time that happened, I got a bit cheeky:

Interviewer: We tend to only hire people from [insert city name] because we want to know that they will stay.

Me: Has it ever happened that someone uprooted their lives, went to the beautiful state of [X] started work at your firm, and then realized they made a horrid mistake three months later only to run back to wherever they came from?

Interviewer: No, we do a pretty good job of retaining associates, but we only hire people from [insert state].

Me: Then why are you here?

Interviewer: We are looking for someone that grew up in our state and is now going to school here.

Me: That type of person seems like the kind you don't want: he or she probably left for a reason. At any rate, it hurts you in the long run to exclude other candidates... I then continued arguing with him. At the end, I said that if he was intent on hiring people from that city, he should include that in the listing so as no to waste people's time.

I got a callback!

Niice. Ballsy

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:07 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I don't care if your wife is pregnant and due that day, you keep that shit put away.

Way to take it too far

"Your first born child can wait!"

By going into the interview, you are saying "for X number of minutes, this interview is literally the most important thing in my life." If it truly isn't, you shouldn't be in there.

This is absurd, Rink. I am absolutely not missing the birth of my child if I'm in an interview. In fact - and I know this might not get much agreement - if my boss said "this project you have to get done tonight is so important that I will fire you if you leave to witness the birth of your child," then I guess I'll be looking for a new job in the morning.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:11 pm

I also think you could probably go into an interview and explain that you may get a call about the impending birth of your child, so that's why you're keeping your phone on and you just might have to cut things short.

rnoodles

Postby rnoodles » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:24 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I don't care if your wife is pregnant and due that day, you keep that shit put away.

Way to take it too far

By going into the interview, you are saying "for X number of minutes, this interview is literally the most important thing in my life." If it truly isn't, you shouldn't be in there.

This is absurd, Rink. I am absolutely not missing the birth of my child if I'm in an interview. In fact - and I know this might not get much agreement - if my boss said "this project you have to get done tonight is so important that I will fire you if you leave to witness the birth of your child," then I guess I'll be looking for a new job in the morning.

FWIW, I agree with unam.

star fox

Postby star fox » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:27 pm

Ehh, you'll see the kid right after.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:29 pm

UnamSanctam wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

Way to take it too far

Oh I agree 100%. Would quit without a second thought (or at least just leave and wait to see if the asshole followed through on the threat). I would like to think that nearly anyone would do the same, though biglaw has a way of removing peoples' spines.

DJ JD

Postby DJ JD » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:32 pm

Is this like post-grad or did you have like a 1LSA or something?

Either way, this was possibly the best thing I've read; ever.
Last edited by DJ JD on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:04 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I also think you could probably go into an interview and explain that you may get a call about the impending birth of your child, so that's why you're keeping your phone on and you just might have to cut things short.

how is this a real discussion that we are now having

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:24 pm

El Pollito wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I also think you could probably go into an interview and explain that you may get a call about the impending birth of your child, so that's why you're keeping your phone on and you just might have to cut things short.

how is this a real discussion that we are now having

I feel kind of bad. I didn't submit my post originally because I recognized that Rink was just being hyperbolic. But then she doubled down on it so I wrote it again and submitted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:43 pm

Had to evacuate a callback today because of a gas leak. We'll see if I get an offer...

lawman84

Postby lawman84 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:28 pm

My interviews all went smoothly except one. I generally do well in interviews (I am an upbeat person with a good sense of humor and I smile a lot naturally) and honestly had never had a bad interview prior to this one last week. This interview was a complete disaster. It happened to be the with the highest ranked firm (on Vault) I was interviewing with (not that it matters). Every single answer I gave just appeared to be the wrong answer. Never had an interview where my personality just did not mesh with the interviewer's...but in this one, that was definitely true. It was tense and awkward. Also, the interviewer spent probably 25% of the interview scolding me for an answer I gave.(admittedly, it was a bad answer)

Can't blame the interviewer. Just can't win them all.

Worst part is that the scolding happened within the first few minutes of the interview so the second half of the interview was like being a passenger on the Titanic.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:48 pm

Did a whole interview with fogged glasses... tried wiping them a few times, but didn't work. Essentially could not see their faces the entire interview lol (glasses have fogged a little before, but never entirely and for the entire interview). Haven't heard anything yet.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:31 pm

rnoodles22 wrote:
UnamSanctam wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:

Way to take it too far

FWIW, I agree with unam.

I can also understand the warning the interviewer, but in that case I'd have my phone set so that only predetermined numbers would ring through. But the OP of the story was not expecting a child; he was just being an idiot.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did a whole interview with fogged glasses... tried wiping them a few times, but didn't work. Essentially could not see their faces the entire interview lol (glasses have fogged a little before, but never entirely and for the entire interview). Haven't heard anything yet.

lol could the attorneys tell?

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:52 pm

Br3v wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did a whole interview with fogged glasses... tried wiping them a few times, but didn't work. Essentially could not see their faces the entire interview lol (glasses have fogged a little before, but never entirely and for the entire interview). Haven't heard anything yet.

Sole line on screener evaluation report was probably: "Ding. Did not make eye contact a single time in 20 minutes"

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:53 pm

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Br3v wrote:

Sole line on screener evaluation report was probably: "Ding. Did not make eye contact a single time in 20 minutes"

:lol:

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:56 pm

I might have posted this 2 years ago, but I did my first two days of 2L OCI with a fever bad enough to make me drip with sweat. I had to carry a tissue to mop my forehead and explain that I was sick (*interviewers backing away gingerly*) and that's why it looked like I'd just sprinted a mile in the dreadful Chicago August humidity.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:56 pm

I forgot the firm's name during the interview. Completely blanked. Made certain questions sound a little awkward...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:11 pm

Somehow the conversation of recently severed long term relationships was brought up during a callback lunch. I mentioned I had recently ended a three-year relationship and a second-year associate said he recently had ended a three-year relationship, also. For some reason, I said (thinking it would be funny), "what I forgot to tell everyone is that me and (second year associate) were actually dating." Not sure why I said that.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Somehow the conversation of recently severed long term relationships was brought up during a callback lunch. I mentioned I had recently ended a three-year relationship and a second-year associate said he recently had ended a three-year relationship, also. For some reason, I said (thinking it would be funny), "what I forgot to tell everyone is that me and (second year associate) were actually dating." Not sure why I said that.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

lawman84

Postby lawman84 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Somehow the conversation of recently severed long term relationships was brought up during a callback lunch. I mentioned I had recently ended a three-year relationship and a second-year associate said he recently had ended a three-year relationship, also. For some reason, I said (thinking it would be funny), "what I forgot to tell everyone is that me and (second year associate) were actually dating." Not sure why I said that.

I would have laughed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:02 am

The interviewer didn't/wouldn't smile. Not even the slightest hint.

Return to “Legal Employment”