Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:34 pm

My interviewer pulled out her iPad and worked on a brief while simultaneously interviewing me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:59 pm

her: how many interviews have you had today?
me: 13
her: wow that's a lot - this must feel like speed dating
me: I don't know, I've never been speed dating
awkward silence
her: me neither

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:59 pm

During a callback one of my interviewer's phone keeps ringing during the first 10 minutes of the interview. The phone stops ringing for 5 minutes but all of a sudden there's this mad thump on the door. The door opens, and in rushes this man (I'm assuming he was a partner) screaming: "Why didn't you take my fucking call?!?!" Interview ended extremely early.

KingofSplitters55

Postby KingofSplitters55 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:During a callback one of my interviewer's phone keeps ringing during the first 10 minutes of the interview. The phone stops ringing for 5 minutes but all of a sudden there's this mad thump on the door. The door opens, and in rushes this man (I'm assuming he was a partner) screaming: "Why didn't you take my fucking call?!?!" Interview ended extremely early.

lol

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:During a callback one of my interviewer's phone keeps ringing during the first 10 minutes of the interview. The phone stops ringing for 5 minutes but all of a sudden there's this mad thump on the door. The door opens, and in rushes this man (I'm assuming he was a partner) screaming: "Why didn't you take my fucking call?!?!" Interview ended extremely early.

Offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:28 am

californiauser wrote:

Offer?

Offer this morning.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:16 pm

This is a great read as I sit here between interviews.

Had a fire alarm test in the building during one of my interviews; strobe/warning lights and alarm noises certainly made it more interesting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:43 pm

Me: What made you choose [firm name] over other firms?
Partner: (in a snarky bitter tone) I didn't. I was part of a merger.
Me: Oh..well then, I guess the better question is - What makes you stay at [firm name]?
Partner: I get paid a lot. I honestly wouldn't show up here if I didn't get paid so much.
[awkward silence]
Me: Heh - well....I appreciate your honesty?

Best ding of my life. Stuffiest firm in DC that I would not recommend to my worst enemy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:50 pm

Went into the screener interview. Interviewer started by saying "So I have to do a conference call in fifteen minutes, I hope you don't mind if I cut you off early."
Me: "uhh... okay."
Rush through the interview, he quickly asks questions, looks anxious generally, I try to rush through my own because he's making me anxious.
I ask like two questions. He answers the second one very quickly, then says "I have to make the call now. Have a good day!" Gets up and walks to the door before I can get out of my chair.

Dinged.

Cerberaus

Postby Cerberaus » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:58 pm

I've been trying to break into another market and had several interviews with firms from that city. After three screener interviews with firms from that city, I got sick of hearing that they only hiring applicants from said city. The fourth time that happened, I got a bit cheeky:

Interviewer: We tend to only hire people from [insert city name] because we want to know that they will stay.

Me: Has it ever happened that someone uprooted their lives, went to the beautiful state of [X] started work at your firm, and then realized they made a horrid mistake three months later only to run back to wherever they came from?

Interviewer: No, we do a pretty good job of retaining associates, but we only hire people from [insert state].

Me: Then why are you here?

Interviewer: We are looking for someone that grew up in our state and is now going to school here.

Me: That type of person seems like the kind you don't want: he or she probably left for a reason. At any rate, it hurts you in the long run to exclude other candidates... I then continued arguing with him. At the end, I said that if he was intent on hiring people from that city, he should include that in the listing so as no to waste people's time.

I got a callback!

LA Spring

Postby LA Spring » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:59 pm

This is as bad as it gets. To set the stage, the day before I had been offered by my SA firm (so I felt no real pressure). On top of that I had just left a really good interview with a V20 firm. Five minutes into my interview the screener yawns. A moment later she yawned again and unenthusiastically went ahead with some mundane questions like where I saw myself in ten years. A few minutes later I felt my cell vibrate, I glanced at the screen and it was someone I had wanted to talk to. I politely excused myself for a couple minutes. A few days later I received a rejection stating that while the firm had openings, it wasn’t anything that they would consider me for. Evidently, the screener was exceptionally pissed!

RaceJudicata

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:14 pm

LA Spring wrote:This is as bad as it gets. To set the stage, the day before I had been offered by my SA firm (so I felt no real pressure). On top of that I had just left a really good interview with a V20 firm. Five minutes into my interview the screener yawns. A moment later she yawned again and unenthusiastically went ahead with some mundane questions like where I saw myself in ten years. A few minutes later I felt my cell vibrate, I glanced at the screen and it was someone I had wanted to talk to. I politely excused myself for a couple minutes. A few days later I received a rejection stating that while the firm had openings, it wasn’t anything that they would consider me for. Evidently, the screener was exceptionally pissed!

Ya think? Usually, a bad interviewing story stems from an honest mistake/slip of the tongue or a rude/arrogant hiring person, not by full on rudeness on the part of the interviewee.

North

Postby North » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:22 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Ya think? Usually, a bad interviewing story stems from an honest mistake/slip of the tongue or a rude/arrogant hiring person, not by full on rudeness on the part of the interviewee.

so

checkers

Postby checkers » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:24 pm

LA Spring wrote:This is as bad as it gets. To set the stage, the day before I had been offered by my SA firm (so I felt no real pressure). On top of that I had just left a really good interview with a V20 firm. Five minutes into my interview the screener yawns. A moment later she yawned again and unenthusiastically went ahead with some mundane questions like where I saw myself in ten years. A few minutes later I felt my cell vibrate, I glanced at the screen and it was someone I had wanted to talk to. I politely excused myself for a couple minutes. A few days later I received a rejection stating that while the firm had openings, it wasn’t anything that they would consider me for. Evidently, the screener was exceptionally pissed!

Yeah, that's a dick move. You're wasting their time and you think that's funny?

North

Postby North » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:34 pm

checkers wrote:Yeah, that's a dick move. You're wasting their time and you think that's funny?

Lol who cares. I don't get the indignation on behalf of a biglaw firm interviewer

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:35 pm

Yawning is not a conscious decision, and OCI is grueling for people who have to interview candidate after candidate with a list of stock questions. Weird chip on your shoulder, dude.

anyriotgirl

Postby anyriotgirl » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:35 pm

North wrote:
checkers wrote:Yeah, that's a dick move. You're wasting their time and you think that's funny?

Lol who cares. I don't get the indignation on behalf of a biglaw firm interviewer

It just seems like the type of thing that would make a law firm huffy enough to threaten not to come back next year, fucking over future classes

RaceJudicata

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:36 pm

Sounds like it was a screener - in which case, he took the spot of someone who would have made an actual effort to get the job. Obviously this happened in the past, and who cares.

But I'd be pissed if I didn't get a screener and some person that did took this approach. Anyway.... back to the good stories!

North

Postby North » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:40 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Sounds like it was a screener - in which case, he took the spot of someone who would have made an actual effort to get the job. Obviously this happened in the past, and who cares.

But I'd be pissed if I didn't get a screener and some person that did took this approach. Anyway.... back to the good stories!

Okay yeah I agree with this one.

Anyway, iirc LAspring is a demonstrated douche so no surprises here

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:24 pm

Why in the name of everything holy would you have your phone on vibrate at all (instead of silent), have it anywhere where you could feel/hear it vibrate, and even consider looking at it? I don't care if your wife is pregnant and due that day, you keep that shit put away.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:39 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I don't care if your wife is pregnant and due that day, you keep that shit put away.

Way to take it too far

"Your first born child can wait!"

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:50 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I don't care if your wife is pregnant and due that day, you keep that shit put away.

Way to take it too far

By going into the interview, you are saying "for X number of minutes, this interview is literally the most important thing in my life." If it truly isn't, you shouldn't be in there.

Postby 071816 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:51 pm

Danger Zone wrote:

Way to take it too far

I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE DYING OF A HEART ATTACK MID INTERVIEW. KEEP THAT SHIT UNDER WRAPS, PAL.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:55 pm

Interviewer: (looking at my resume and other information they requested) I must say, you somehow overcame such a poor academic performance in law school to have such a position as you currently have, along with your body of work and reputation. This firm only hires those with excellent academic credentials.

Me: My current employer didn't hire me to take law school exams. They hired me to be a lawyer. Did I misread your job opening stating you were looking to hire someone to take law school exams?

The interviewer huffed and puffed and it went downhill from there. This was not the response they were looking for.

North

Postby North » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewer: (looking at my resume and other information they requested) I must say, you somehow overcame such a poor academic performance in law school to have such a position as you currently have, along with your body of work and reputation. This firm only hires those with excellent academic credentials.

Me: My current employer didn't hire me to take law school exams. They hired me to be a lawyer. Did I misread your job opening stating you were looking to hire someone to take law school exams?

The interviewer huffed and puffed and it went downhill from there. This was not the response they were looking for.

Awesome.

Return to “Legal Employment”