Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:37 pm

Not a terrible interview moment, but I also walked out of an interview once during 2L OCI at UT. My dog was in surgery to remove a tumor at the time and I went to the interview anyway. The firm was a mid-size Austin firm and so I asked about their summer program their plans for growth (i.e. if I summer for you do I have a shot of working for you beyond that?). The answers to those questions were that they have four SAs a year (2 each half) and that they typically add a new associate every other year. I'd been on the fence about the firm to begin with, and that cleared everything up for me. As one of the interviewers asked some banal interviewing 101 question, I just said "I'm sorry, I can't do this right now. Thank you," and went home to be with my SO.

My worst interview moment was actually an admissions interview at NU. Flew up morning of (had to wake up stupid early), had game planned the whole thing, first question was exactly what I expected:

Interviewer: "Tell me a little about yourself."
Me: "Well, I grew up in [tiny Texas town no one outside area ever heard of before] which is a couple hours outside of . . ."
Interviewer: [disapprovingly interrupting and glaring at me] "I'm from Dallas, I know where [town] is."
Me: [shock and fatigue turns brain off for remainder of interview]

Karl123456

Postby Karl123456 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:16 am

Interviewer (shakes hand) hi, nice to meet you
Me: Sup' bro
No CB

Me: Ask Question
Interviewer: That's a good question. (One line answer). But I want to talk to you about the firms dating policy. You are allowed to date your supervisors. (Five minutes on dating policy, workplace relationships, etc.).

She seemed flirtatious throughout the interview. Remember one comment on how I managed to balance law school with personal life, since I looked like I went to the gym a lot.

Got a CB on that one.

MrProhibition

Postby MrProhibition » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:20 pm

At the end of a long day of screeners, I asked interviewer how his [insert some fluffy major] has helped him in the practice of law. The interviewer responded with that he was like an electrical engineer or something. So of course, I tried to recover. I said "oh my mistake, I meant your minor." After a long pause, he simply told me that he did not have that minor. Later, I realized I confused him with the next interviewer I had... woops. On the bright side, I was able to ask the same question again in the next interview, but this time in reference to a minor rather than major, AND received a callback from that. Needless to say, no callback from the other screener.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:25 pm

MrProhibition wrote:At the end of a long day of screeners, I asked interviewer how his [insert some fluffy major] has helped him in the practice of law. The interviewer responded with that he was like an electrical engineer or something. So of course, I tried to recover. I said "oh my mistake, I meant your minor." After a long pause, he simply told me that he did not have that minor. Later, I realized I confused him with the next interviewer I had... woops. On the bright side, I was able to ask the same question again in the next interview, but this time in reference to a minor rather than major, AND received a callback from that. Needless to say, no callback from the other screener.

holy shit this is hilarious how did this ever happen to you

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:36 pm

Karl123456 wrote:Interviewer (shakes hand) hi, nice to meet you
Me: Sup' bro
No CB

Me: Ask Question
Interviewer: That's a good question. (One line answer). But I want to talk to you about the firms dating policy. You are allowed to date your supervisors. (Five minutes on dating policy, workplace relationships, etc.).

She seemed flirtatious throughout the interview. Remember one comment on how I managed to balance law school with personal life, since I looked like I went to the gym a lot.

Got a CB on that one.

#2 is funny if true

MrProhibition

Postby MrProhibition » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:38 pm

PennBull wrote:
MrProhibition wrote:At the end of a long day of screeners, I asked interviewer how his [insert some fluffy major] has helped him in the practice of law. The interviewer responded with that he was like an electrical engineer or something. So of course, I tried to recover. I said "oh my mistake, I meant your minor." After a long pause, he simply told me that he did not have that minor. Later, I realized I confused him with the next interviewer I had... woops. On the bright side, I was able to ask the same question again in the next interview, but this time in reference to a minor rather than major, AND received a callback from that. Needless to say, no callback from the other screener.

holy shit this is hilarious how did this ever happen to you

Just an unfortunate set of circumstances. The worst part was that it seemed throughout the rest of the interview that the guy was personally offended that I would ever think he could be whatever major I named.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:22 am

I interviewed with both Boston and NY firms during OCI. I had one interview at the end of the day with a NY firm and I was so tired. The guy asked me whether I preferred NY or Boston and whether I preferred the Yankees or Red Sox. I started talking about how awesome Boston was and how I root for the Red Sox. Then my brain slowly remembered that I was interviewing with a NY firm. No call back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:36 am

I interviewed with both Boston and NY firms during OCI. I had one interview at the end of the day with a NY firm and I was so tired. The guy asked me whether I preferred NY or Boston and whether I preferred the Yankees or Red Sox. I started talking about how awesome Boston was and how I root for the Red Sox. Then my brain slowly remembered that I was interviewing with a NY firm. No call back.

God forbid an interviewer ask me a question about sports that's more in-depth than this since I don't give a shit about them. OCI is such a farce.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:41 pm

Interviewer asked me about what I did before law school- easy enough. I told him I was previously a software developer and one of the big projects I worked on was building social networking integration with Facebook, Twitter, etc. into our platform. Interviewer goes on for a 20 minute rant about how Facebook is a capitalistic scam and brainwashes people. Did not get an offer.

smallfirmassociate

Postby smallfirmassociate » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Interviewer goes on for a 20 minute rant about how Facebook is a capitalistic scam

while all of his law firm clients operate on egalitarian principles

Ugh.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:34 pm

smallfirmassociate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Interviewer goes on for a 20 minute rant about how Facebook is a capitalistic scam

while all of his law firm clients operate on egalitarian principles

Ugh.

LOL seriously. People with power are often hypocritical, shitty assholes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:10 pm

Interviewer: "So what do you know about our office?"
Me: "... Well... I know you guys do (some area of the law)..."
Interview: "... Before we keep this interview going on a misconception, we don't do that. So let me tell you what we actually do."

.........I still got an offer from this office............ The offer was actually more awkward than the interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:38 pm

Where do I even start?!?!?

Interview 1

After discussing qualifications and likely day-to-day of interns (DA office)...
Interviewer: Just so you know, you will likely have to make copies and get coffee. We all do at some point, right?
Me: Sure.
Interviewer: But it will mostly be you.
Me: Okay.

I withdrew my application shortly after (not because of this exchange; I like getting coffee).

Interview 2

Most awkward interview ever. After mentioning heritage, interviewer asks for writing sample, which was not required for original application. Interviewer takes me to a different office to see another attorney. After interview is done with second attorney, attorney tells me I'm good to go. I leave. 20-30 minutes later, interviewer calls (I was driving, so I didn't see the call and went to voicemail) and leaves a message asking if anyone offended me and if that's why I left so suddenly. I call the office, secretary tells me interviewer is in a meeting now, but I should come back.

I come back. Interviewer still in meeting, so I wait in lobby this time for about 40 minutes. I am 45 minutes away from missing doctor's appointment on the other side of town (at this point I've been dealing with this interview for over three hours since I didn't go over the fact that I was not allowed into the building for 40 minutes when I arrived because no one added my name to the list of guests), so I ask receptionist if she can check with secretary because I can't stay much longer.

Secretary comes to get me and takes me back to offices and leaves me with two attorneys who are having lunch. One asks questions, I answer, and then awkward silences follow as they chew on their meals. Finally, I mention to the attorneys that I need to leave. So one of them takes me back to interviewer's office, knocks and opens the door, person in there with interviewer (I'm assuming the meeting from earlier) jumps and says something along the lines of "how dare you, don't you see we're busy?" Attorney apologizes and mentions I need to go. Interviewer waives me off. I leave and (not ashamed to share) cry on my drive to the doctor (mostly because I was still confused as to what had just happened).

Even more bizarre: offer. I declined.

Interview 3

Me: So you have been with X firm for many years, what it is about XYZ firm that keeps you here?
Interviewer A: Well, both of my kids are in college, so it's not like I can leave now. Many of my friends working in government are happy and will retire before I do-if I ever do. I will likely work here until I die.
Me: ..........

Later

Interviewer B: So I noticed that you're from (x country). Are you a citizen?
Me: Yes, I am. For many years now.
Interviewer B: How did you get to the US?
Me: Well, there's a lot of violence in my country, and my family was looking for better opportunities. My dad was eventually able to get a job transfer since he works for a multinational, so here I am.
Interviewer B: No, no. How did you get here?
Me: Hmm, we took a plane?
Interviewer B: I see.

No offer. Wouldn't have taken it anyway.

MCFC

Postby MCFC » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:18 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:21 pm

A V5 interviewer declined to shake my hand and rolled their eyes when they saw my transcript.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A V5 interviewer declined to shake my hand and rolled their eyes when they saw my transcript.

Damn.

V10 interviewer informed me that of all the schools he was told to go to for undergrad, mine wasn't on that list.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:46 pm

This might be a re-post from a similar thread awhile back, but

At a call back at a Satellite Office of Big Firm in my really really small hometown market

Interviewer: Mr. Law Student, you went to local school X for undergrad
Me: Yep, I did
Interviewer: And I see you go to Harvard Law, how is that?
Me: Some BS answer about the challenge and whatever
Interviewer: So why did you go to Harvard over local TTT (no offense to those who attend, just using it for shorthand)
Me: ....blank look.....

I have no idea how much time actually passed between that question and whatever nonsense I spit out in response to that.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:03 pm

Later

Interviewer B: So I noticed that you're from (x country). Are you a citizen?
Me: Yes, I am. For many years now.
Interviewer B: How did you get to the US?
Me: Well, there's a lot of violence in my country, and my family was looking for better opportunities. My dad was eventually able to get a job transfer since he works for a multinational, so here I am.
Interviewer B: No, no. How did you get here?
Me: Hmm, we took a plane?
Interviewer B: I see.

No offer. Wouldn't have taken it anyway.

Wow. How about none of that is any of your fucking business you law-breaking asshole.

Glad things worked out for you otherwise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:33 pm

Walk in. Hiring partner pulls out my writing sample. Has about five typos circled. Asked if I knew how to spell treatment correctly. Extremely awkward and seems to go terribly. Offer.

RaceJudicata

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:49 pm

Had an interview with two similarly aged, somewhat similar looking guys. Did research ahead of time, prepared to ask good questions tailored to each person individually.... Shake hands, get introductions, etc...

Well, at some point between shaking hands and sitting down i forgot who was who. End up just going for it, and throughout the entire interview referred to "john" as "Bob", and "Bob" as "John". They didn't bother to correct me until handing their business cards on the way out the door.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:20 pm

Here's one of mine from last year. I'm not sure if I can really convey in text how awful it was in person.

Context: last interview of the first day, and I'm just running out of social energy. Had yet to really master interview-speak, so my answers were a bit cookie-cutter: throw in a "self-starter" here, a "problem-solver" there, in that awkward way of trying to make bad or neutral things sound good at every opportunity.

Interviewer: I noticed you went to _____ for undergrad, how'd you like it?
Me: something something, learned a lot about myself, really enjoyed being around so many smart people and learning from them, whatever etc etc
Interviewer: Oh, my nephew is an incoming freshman, got any advice for him?
Me: I would encourage him to, uh, not do my major
Interviewer: Huh, why?
Me: Well, I enjoyed the subject a lot, and it was really the thing I was most intellectually interested in, etc etc. But the department is small relative to how many students want to do it, and as a result everything is very unstructured and disorganized. I think the only people who were really happy in (the major) were the independent, self-starter types.

(silence for about 20 seconds as I realize I've just accidentally declared myself as not an independent, self-starter type)

No callback. The most horrifically socially-awkward person in our class got one from the same firm - have not lived that one down.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:07 pm

Is Jones Day asking people their LSAT scores again?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:25 pm

PennBull wrote:Is Jones Day asking people their LSAT scores again?

No one ever asked me

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:52 pm

I was interviewing with the New York office of a multi-office firm and was asked why I wanted to work in New York. I said "Because New York is the most sophisticated legal market in the world with the most sophisticated clients." As my interviewers visibly cringed, I remembered they were from the Menlo Park office, interviewing on behalf of the New Yorkers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:01 pm

" we send all of our summer associates abroad"
"*chuckle*..that's nice of you, what's her name?"
Interviewer cracks up, thought I crushed it

No cb

Return to “Legal Employment”