Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
El Pollito
party fowl

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby El Pollito » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:43 pm

I like how all the people who think they're ballsy probably have decent grades at good school and are likely getting offers in spite of their personalities.

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:09 pm

El Pollito wrote:I like how all the people who think they're ballsy probably have decent grades at good school and are likely getting offers in spite of their personalities.

Grades just get you in the door. THE OFFERS ARE ABOUT MOXIE.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:24 pm

my phone rang twice during an interview once - I had silenced it but its been glitchy recently. partner acted like it was nothing and I almost bought that he sincerely didn't care, but of course, I did not receive an offer. could have been that or any number of other things

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:51 pm

jbagelboy wrote:my phone rang twice during an interview once - I had silenced it but its been glitchy recently. partner acted like it was nothing and I almost bought that he sincerely didn't care, but of course, I did not receive an offer. could have been that or any number of other things

If you knew it was being glitchy, you didn't just power it off...why?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:52 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:my phone rang twice during an interview once - I had silenced it but its been glitchy recently. partner acted like it was nothing and I almost bought that he sincerely didn't care, but of course, I did not receive an offer. could have been that or any number of other things

If you knew it was being glitchy, you didn't just power it off...why?

Really?

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:02 pm

I mean it was pretty dumb.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:03 pm

I know I just enjoyed the advice giver.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:29 pm

El Pollito wrote:I like how all the people who think they're ballsy probably have decent grades at good school and are likely getting offers in spite of their personalities.

Or that this shit makes a difference...

2. Whenever I felt pressure or unprepared for a question, I would break eye contact and my face would become red. I knew this was bad when I was doing it but I just couldn't help it.

3. For some dumb reason, I said yes whenever I was offered water and took sips way too much. Like way too much. Also fidgeted in my seat a lot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:27 pm

zweitbester wrote:

Or that this shit makes a difference...

2. Whenever I felt pressure or unprepared for a question, I would break eye contact and my face would become red. I knew this was bad when I was doing it but I just couldn't help it.

3. For some dumb reason, I said yes whenever I was offered water and took sips way too much. Like way too much. Also fidgeted in my seat a lot.

It did make a difference. Acting really uncomfortable is a negative.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:36 pm

It isn't black or white. And naturally as a self-centered person (not a criticism; we are all fixated on ourselves), we tend to magnify the severity of our actions. Yeah, nervousness and being uncomfortable to the point of total silence will hurt. I don't think anyone will disagree with that. But taking 5 sips instead of 1 sip of water... who the fuck cares???????

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:50 pm

zweitbester wrote:

It isn't black or white. And naturally as a self-centered person (not a criticism; we are all fixated on ourselves), we tend to magnify the severity of our actions. Yeah, nervousness and being uncomfortable to the point of total silence will hurt. I don't think anyone will disagree with that. But taking 5 sips instead of 1 sip of water... who the fuck cares???????

Not to mention bad interview moments like those are boring as shit to read. Kept waiting for the punchline...

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
zweitbester wrote:

Not to mention bad interview moments like those are boring as shit to read. Kept waiting for the punchline...

Accidental anon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:03 pm

Had an OCI recently:

My resume lists that I was singer for 15+ years.

Interviewer: Oh, could you sing something for us?
Me: Hahah... (they don't laugh) um...really?
Interviewers: ...dead stares. (longest 15 seconds ever) Oh...uh...I guess that might disturb the others outside. So, do you have any questions for us? (only 5 minutes into the interview)
I asked as many questions as I could think of and couldn't run down the clock. No knock at the door.
Me: Alright, thank you for your time.

No call.

heavoldgotjuice

Postby heavoldgotjuice » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:08 pm

If I listed that I was a singer for 15 years, or was a magician for X amount of years, or whatever performance related thing, then I'd be prepared to do something relevant to what I listed. I mean, its obvious that most law students did not sing for 15 years, so he wanted to see if you shined. Would've been great if you could've "knocked him out the park" with some crazy National Anthem-style song

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:09 pm

heavoldgotjuice wrote:If I listed that I was a singer for 15 years, or was a magician for X amount of years, or whatever performance related thing, then I'd be prepared to do something relevant to what I listed. I mean, its obvious that most law students did not singer for 15 years, so he wanted to see why you shined. Would've been great if you could've "knocked him out the park" with some crazy National Anthem-style song

Nope

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:10 pm

heavoldgotjuice wrote:If I listed that I was a singer for 15 years, or was a magician for X amount of years, or whatever performance related thing, then I'd be prepared to do something relevant to what I listed. I mean, its obvious that most law students did not sing for 15 years, so he wanted to see if you shined. Would've been great if you could've "knocked him out the park" with some crazy National Anthem-style song

You do know that singers have to warm up, right? Like it could be bad if she just started singing cold. Both performance wise and bad on the vocal chords.

heavoldgotjuice

Postby heavoldgotjuice » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:16 pm

I don't give a shit, Id sing. Also, if the roles were reversed, Id probably ask the person to sing for me.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:16 pm

heavoldgotjuice wrote:I don't give a shit, Id sing. Also, if the roles were reversed, Id probably ask the person to sing for me.

That's because you sound like an idiot.

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:17 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
heavoldgotjuice wrote:I don't give a shit, Id sing. Also, if the roles were reversed, Id probably ask the person to sing for me.

I was going to say something else, but, as always, you said it better.

heavoldgotjuice

Postby heavoldgotjuice » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:26 pm

FKASunny wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:

So instead of showing that you know or can do something on your resume which is unique, you would do as OP did and stare blankly? or ask for time to warm up?

Sounds more idiotic in my HUMBLE FUCKIN opinion

FKASunny

Postby FKASunny » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:29 pm

heavoldgotjuice wrote:
FKASunny wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:

So instead of showing that you know or can do something on your resume which is unique, you would do as OP did and stare blankly? or ask for time to warm up?

I mean, obvs he didn't play it off well. My guess is that he thought they were serious when they weren't.

I had an interviewer ask me about the intricacies of fiddling once he realized that he wasn't going to call me back. Having something interesting and intelligent to say about your talent is important, but performing showtunes on the spot is not an appropriate response.
Last edited by FKASunny on Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:29 pm

heavoldgotjuice wrote:
FKASunny wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:

Under that scenario, a former chef had better be prepared to cook. You do know that the things on your resume are there so that you can talk about them and how the experience might be relevant. A resume isnt a freaking menu of talents that can be called upon at the interview.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:30 pm

heavoldgotjuice wrote:
FKASunny wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:

QED

heavoldgotjuice

Postby heavoldgotjuice » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:36 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
QED

mod edit: don't draw dicks in the on-topics

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:38 pm

You're doing the work for me at this point.

Return to “Legal Employment”