Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ymmv

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby ymmv » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Screener with a Michigan firm (my home state). I'm going to school in CA and worked my 1L job in San Jose. The interviewer proceeds to ask me about my 1L job which is typical. He asks what I thought was "where is San Jose"? Me, feeling real awkward (like WTF, this guy doesn't know where a pretty big known city is) responds, "um, like an hour south of SF". He's responds, "no, I obviously know that, I used to live in SJ, where IN San Jose is your 1L job". Felt like a real idiot there. No CB.

Another screener. We start the interview going back and forth with pretty generic stuff. He's asking me some typical questions, blah, blah, blah. All of the sudden, he asks "so what's your handicap"? I'm thinking he's asking about my weakness, so I blurt some response out. I forgot I had golf listed in my interests section. Interviewer responds, "no, your golf handicap". Still haven't heard back.

So what's it like interviewing with the Marx brothers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:30 pm

sublime wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Accidentally swearing at lunch with junior associates after one of them did... :cry:

is this like... actually a big deal though?

I swore after my interviewer did, context appropriate.

Once or twice in interviews I did use low level curse words though, or insinuated them.

I don't think it is a big deal, but certainly something that is better avoided. Like almost everything else, a lot of it is reading your interviewer.

Yeah, had cso tell me that the interviewer at a v25 firm all but told him I would have had a callback but he was stunned that I cursed in the interview. Still have no idea what I said

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:16 pm

Had a really astoundingly bad interview yesterday, two particular gems:

Interviewer: Had any other interviews?
Me: A couple. [noncommittal shrug]
Interviewer: Well, at least this is good practice, right? I never participated in OCI, until I wanted to get a job.
Me: . . . Uhhhhhh. . . .
The right answer would have been:
Me: I don't see it as practice. I have twenty minutes to convince you to hire me.

Later....

Interviewer: Do you have any hobbies?
Me: I play ukulele. (pronounced ooh-koo-lay-lay)
Interviewer: I've never heard it prounounced like that.
Me: It's how they say it in Hawaii. I think.
Interviewer: So, what sort of songs do you do?
Me: I've got another lawyer that's teaching me how to play. We sit around once a week and strum along, and sing about how I don't have time for hobbies in law school. (True story, and while I thought I was hilarious at the time, not even a smile.)

No call back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:37 am

Had three interviews 10 minutes after one another. Firm A spent 30 minutes in their interview (28 of which were trying to sell me the firm), so I got out EXACTLY when Firm B's interview was about to start. I had a busy day, so I kept the schedule on a spreadsheet on my phone for easy access. If you're acquainted with Murphy's Law, you can guess when the only time in three days my phone decided to lose all reception was. No big, I had previously loaded up the spreadsheet in case that sort of thing happened. But, again, Murphy's Law--Safari decided this was the right moment to reload all the tabs--again, with no reception or WiFi in the area--trapping my spreadsheet in cyberspace. Because the first interview had gone long, I was already late and there wasn't time to ask anyone, so I ran to the floor I thought it was on. No dice. I sprinted up and down the floors looking for it (because what else was there to do?), but no luck. Finally, 15 minutes into the interview spot, I called it quits and went to CSO, explaining the screw-up. They said it was okay, but I'd have to get to my next interview. I wiped off the sweat with a paper towel, but again, no dice--I walked into the interview with Firm C huffing-and-puffing, beet-reddened face, sweating bullets. Lesson learned, kids: Don't let electronics fail you on the interview days.

No CB from any of the three.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Had three interviews 10 minutes after one another. Firm A spent 30 minutes in their interview (28 of which were trying to sell me the firm), so I got out EXACTLY when Firm B's interview was about to start. I had a busy day, so I kept the schedule on a spreadsheet on my phone for easy access. If you're acquainted with Murphy's Law, you can guess when the only time in three days my phone decided to lose all reception was. No big, I had previously loaded up the spreadsheet in case that sort of thing happened. But, again, Murphy's Law--Safari decided this was the right moment to reload all the tabs--again, with no reception or WiFi in the area--trapping my spreadsheet in cyberspace. Because the first interview had gone long, I was already late and there wasn't time to ask anyone, so I ran to the floor I thought it was on. No dice. I sprinted up and down the floors looking for it (because what else was there to do?), but no luck. Finally, 15 minutes into the interview spot, I called it quits and went to CSO, explaining the screw-up. They said it was okay, but I'd have to get to my next interview. I wiped off the sweat with a paper towel, but again, no dice--I walked into the interview with Firm C huffing-and-puffing, beet-reddened face, sweating bullets. Lesson learned, kids: Don't let electronics fail you on the interview days.

Aw man, bro. Google Drive or Dropbox. Synch that shit offline.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:50 am

ymmv wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Had three interviews 10 minutes after one another. Firm A spent 30 minutes in their interview (28 of which were trying to sell me the firm), so I got out EXACTLY when Firm B's interview was about to start. I had a busy day, so I kept the schedule on a spreadsheet on my phone for easy access. If you're acquainted with Murphy's Law, you can guess when the only time in three days my phone decided to lose all reception was. No big, I had previously loaded up the spreadsheet in case that sort of thing happened. But, again, Murphy's Law--Safari decided this was the right moment to reload all the tabs--again, with no reception or WiFi in the area--trapping my spreadsheet in cyberspace. Because the first interview had gone long, I was already late and there wasn't time to ask anyone, so I ran to the floor I thought it was on. No dice. I sprinted up and down the floors looking for it (because what else was there to do?), but no luck. Finally, 15 minutes into the interview spot, I called it quits and went to CSO, explaining the screw-up. They said it was okay, but I'd have to get to my next interview. I wiped off the sweat with a paper towel, but again, no dice--I walked into the interview with Firm C huffing-and-puffing, beet-reddened face, sweating bullets. Lesson learned, kids: Don't let electronics fail you on the interview days.

It was Drive, I just had no way to access it.

ymmv

Postby ymmv » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ymmv wrote:

It was Drive, I just had no way to access it.

Dude. Click the info button next to the file in the Drive app. Click "make available offline." Voila. No wifi dependent emergency access fails.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:16 pm

Firm sends schedule of interviewers the night before. During the morning of CB, tells me one of my interviewers changed due to a sudden schedule conflict. Ok, sure, I understand it happens. No bio for new interviewer.

Halfway through interview with new guy: "So, we've talked about you, now what can I tell you about the firm?"

Me: intersted in hearing about your experience generally, the type of work you've been doing recently, Etc...

"Well, I started last week (didn't summer here) so I'm mostly trying to learn the doc and billing systems"

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:We sit around once a week and strum along, and sing about how I don't have time for hobbies in law school.

That was a decent off-the-cuff crack, dude. Ignore the social troglodytes.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Firm sends schedule of interviewers the night before. During the morning of CB, tells me one of my interviewers changed due to a sudden schedule conflict. Ok, sure, I understand it happens. No bio for new interviewer.

Halfway through interview with new guy: "So, we've talked about you, now what can I tell you about the firm?"

Me: intersted in hearing about your experience generally, the type of work you've been doing recently, Etc...

"Well, I started last week (didn't summer here) so I'm mostly trying to learn the doc and billing systems"

I love when they switch it up mid-game. There's no expectation that I know anything about the interviewer so we can just have a natural conversation about whatever (tbf, that's why I do 90% of the time anyway).

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:59 am

I've had a couple awkward interview moments, mostly my own fault. First was with the only position I interviewed for my first summer, which was a month away. If I didn't land the job (a city-gov gig), I wasn't sure what I was gonna do. I can't remember what awkwardness on my part led me to explaining/apologizing for my nervousness, but that happened. Got the offer at the end of the interview.

Anonymous User wrote:Prosecution panel interview. Per the office's request, I bring a passport photo with me. I introduce myself, sit down, and hand over the photo and other materials.

The first thing the lead interviewer says upon seeing my photo - "HAH! Were you drunk????"

I'm completely caught off guard and respond with an confused "What?? No? ....... haha?" Awkward silence and the interview proceeds as normal. He doesn't mention it again.

It was a normal photo in which I'm shaved, hair is neat, wearing a suit, and smiling. To this day I have no idea why he made that comment. Perhaps to throw me off? Who knows.

Reminds me of "Are you trying to fuck us over?" It's gotta be a bunch of attorneys who just love Super Troopers or something, right?

Dishwasher story was GOAT though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:49 pm

CB for 1L summer firm job. I go out to lunch and realize I have completely forgotten the names of the two partners (yes, partners taking me to lunch). It shouldn't matter too much, since I can just not say their names, but I'm distracted because I'm paranoid and think they somehow know I forgot them.
I excuse myself for the restroom and frantically search firm website on my Iphone. Because I don't know their names, I try to match them with the correct firm profile picture (meaning I need to click on every Partner with a male sounding name from that office to see the picture). None of the pictures I find I am confident enough with, and realize I am spending way too long in the bathroom.
Go back to lunch, never say their names, not even when shaking their hands goodbye.
Rejection letter.

Also small blunder from earlier that day:
(Different) Partner: "Why did you reach out to our firm?"
Me: "I basically mailed every firm in California accepting 1Ls."
Partner: ". . ."
Me: "Oh, I'm also really interested in bankruptcy, because . . ."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:08 pm

2nd round interview with a DA's office, and my dream job. Interviewer asks me if I play any sports.

Me: "No, usually just solo activities like lifting or running. I'm not much of a team player."

Then I quickly make up some excuse about how I'm uncoordinated or something. Yikes.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:2nd round interview with a DA's office, and my dream job. Interviewer asks me if I play any sports.

Me: "No, usually just solo activities like lifting or running. I'm not much of a team player."

Then I quickly make up some excuse about how I'm uncoordinated or something. Yikes.

Hahahaha. Screw anyone for taking that out of context. "Dude doesn't like to play football, prefers golf. I bet he'd make a terrible person a team of attorneys."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:09 pm

Definitely outing myself if my interviewer is on tls but whatever. Today at a cb, interviewing with a youngish associate who went to my undergrad. Solid interview. At the end when I stand up to have him walk me to the next interview he hands me his card. When I go to put it in my wallet a condom slides out on to the floor. He just laughed. I feel like it might actually be a positive since he was a bro.

Too bad it wasn't magnum, probably would have gotten an offer on the spot

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Definitely outing myself if my interviewer is on tls but whatever. Today at a cb, interviewing with a youngish associate who went to my undergrad. Solid interview. At the end when I stand up to have him walk me to the next interview he hands me his card. When I go to put it in my wallet a condom slides out on to the floor. He just laughed. I feel like it might actually be a positive since he was a bro.

So you were interviewing at Latham.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:42 pm

pertristis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Definitely outing myself if my interviewer is on tls but whatever. Today at a cb, interviewing with a youngish associate who went to my undergrad. Solid interview. At the end when I stand up to have him walk me to the next interview he hands me his card. When I go to put it in my wallet a condom slides out on to the floor. He just laughed. I feel like it might actually be a positive since he was a bro.

So you were interviewing at Latham.

Nah

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:24 pm

I had back to back to back screeners at UT. The first and third were in the career services suite and the second was in the adjoining building. By the third interview, after running back and forth, I was DRENCHED in sweat! I mean there was sweat dripping down my face and I looked disgusting.

But hey, it led to a callback :shock:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:25 pm

Went to a CB this Tuesday, was told by the recruiting manager she reschedule my callback to Thursday. " I sent you an email, it must go to your spam." Well, it was not in my spam, obviously she forgot to notify me.
Went to the CB today. On my initial interviewers list there are five people, 3 are partners, today there are only three, one counsel, two partners.
None of the first two interviewers read my resume and both of their first question was' Which position are you interviewing?'
The third interviewer didn't show up on time, after waiting in the conference room about 15 minutes, they filled in an associate. Of course he didn't read my resume either and had no idea what is interview is for. To break the silence, I asked' can you tell me a little about your summer program?' He said ' I have no idea about that, I just lateral to this firm two months ago.'
Finally the third interviewer showed up, used the whole 30 minutes lecturing me about firm personally and other kind of bull shits. Didn't ask me any question.
I left the firm at 12:30pm, it was my first morning callback without a lunch.
Still wondering how an so unorganized firm made the vault list.

vandalvideo

Postby vandalvideo » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:43 pm

I remember back to my 2L year when I was doing OCI. Was interviewing for a federal agency and the interviewer started the interview with;

"You do realize the only reason you are here is because of who your boss was during your first summer internship right?"

There was no way I could have recovered from that one. Got my revenge by talking about how the federal agency screwed up royally in my home state out of spite.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Went to a CB this Tuesday, was told by the recruiting manager she reschedule my callback to Thursday. " I sent you an email, it must go to your spam." Well, it was not in my spam, obviously she forgot to notify me.
Went to the CB today. On my initial interviewers list there are five people, 3 are partners, today there are only three, one counsel, two partners.
None of the first two interviewers read my resume and both of their first question was' Which position are you interviewing?'
The third interviewer didn't show up on time, after waiting in the conference room about 15 minutes, they filled in an associate. Of course he didn't read my resume either and had no idea what is interview is for. To break the silence, I asked' can you tell me a little about your summer program?' He said ' I have no idea about that, I just lateral to this firm two months ago.'
Finally the third interviewer showed up, used the whole 30 minutes lecturing me about firm personally and other kind of bull shits. Didn't ask me any question.

Was this NYC? Had my first cb without a lunch today. Pretty disorganized firm as well, but not quite that level.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Went to a CB this Tuesday, was told by the recruiting manager she reschedule my callback to Thursday. " I sent you an email, it must go to your spam." Well, it was not in my spam, obviously she forgot to notify me.

Was this NYC? Had my first cb without a lunch today. Pretty disorganized firm as well, but not quite that level.

Nope, I am from DC and this is a DC firm.

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Was this NYC? Had my first cb without a lunch today. Pretty disorganized firm as well, but not quite that level.

Oh no my firm didn't give me an unnecessary expensive lunch!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:35 pm

PennBull wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Was this NYC? Had my first cb without a lunch today. Pretty disorganized firm as well, but not quite that level.

Actually liked not doing lunch better. I'm just going to eat lunch somewhere and expense it anyway. Good food without a couple of awkward associates trying and failing to hold a decent conversation while in the midst of a soul-crushing doc review project (true story).

PennBull

Postby PennBull » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
PennBull wrote:

Actually liked not doing lunch better. I'm just going to eat lunch somewhere and expense it anyway. Good food without a couple of awkward associates trying and failing to hold a decent conversation while in the midst of a soul-crushing doc review project (true story).

Yeah I actually preferred not wasting associates' precious billable hours

Cocktail receptions at night were cool tho

Return to “Legal Employment”