Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:33 pm

Dany wrote:
f7 wrote:"I'm infertile." /Fake tears.

:lol:

hahhahahah, gonna use this. Anyway I'd never have kids as a woman in biglaw. personal choice.

Shmoopy

Postby Shmoopy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:27 am

-
Last edited by Shmoopy on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JDfun

Postby JDfun » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:37 am

Shmoopy wrote:Not an employment interview, but I recently had an alum interview for law school admissions. The interviewer was a very attractive woman in her early thirties (I am male). Whenever she was thinking about a follow-up question to ask me, or about questions I asked her about her career path, she did this thing where she reached her hand down into the neck of her shirt, stretching it out, and rubbed her cleavage. Kind of like how someone might stroke their chin and say hmmm, but on her boobs. Idk if she was trying to see if I would get awkward or stare at her or what, but it was strange. Interview went very well otherwise and I got in.

Maybe her breasts help her think...Or maybe its like the movie "How to Get Ahead in Advertising" and it's her alternate personality...

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:11 pm

h_jane_w wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1) Had a screener with a partner and an associate. The partner farted and both looked over at me. I was flustered at that point so I just apologized profusely. It really stunk too. Got a CB.

:lol: :lol:

2.) At a CB: Partner asks why I transferred. I give the same response probably every transfer gives. Partner responds with, "WRONG. I HATE LIARS. You transferred to xyz school because it was probably the best one you could get into. I bet the better schools rejected you, so you went to xyz because you didn't care about the stats or location of the particular school, just the ranking. You probably had a horrible LSAT score, mediocre GPA, and unimpressive resume and couldn't get into a decent school the first time around. I don't know where your 1L school is located, and I doubt anyone at our firm graduated from there. Why are you even here?" I just tried smiling, nodding and waiting for his next question.

omg please tell me that did not actually happen

This was me, and yes, it happened.

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:15 pm

Story is even better knowing that it was you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:23 pm

1L job hunt bump. It's not really an interview story, but I had been exchanging several emails with an attorney who has a name that is almost always associated with one gender. I kept addressing this person with the title associated with that gender (like 5 times). Just found out that this person is not in fact that gender. Somehow got an offer though. I feel really bad.

Objection

Postby Objection » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L job hunt bump. It's not really an interview story, but I had been exchanging several emails with an attorney who has a name that is almost always associated with one gender. I kept addressing this person with the title associated with that gender (like 5 times). Just found out that this person is not in fact that gender. Somehow got an offer though. I feel really bad.

--LinkRemoved--

Did the same thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:48 pm

Not my story, but I just interviewed with someone who passed out during his interview for the job and required medical attention.

Actually really put me at ease for the rest of the interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:57 pm

I had mass mailed this one firm and was rejected a few days after. The firm later scheduled an abbreviated OCI session at my school and I somehow got an interview with them. Since I had nothing to lose (I had already been rejected), I hatched a plan -- I would get the last interview slot of the day, and then ask the interviewers if they would get a beer with me instead of interviewing in the same room they've been in all day. Show some boldness, personality, etc. Basically just stand out/do something different.

So, the time comes, and they ask how I'm doing right out of the gate. I say, "I'm doing well! Say, you've probably been cooped up in here all day. How about we do this [at a local bar/restaurant] and get a few beers?" Response: "Uhh... I think we're good..."

Obviously didn't get a callback.

Ave

Postby Ave » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:02 pm

meowtwo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1) Had a screener with a partner and an associate. The partner farted and both looked over at me. I was flustered at that point so I just apologized profusely. It really stunk too. Got a CB.

lmao did you really take the fall for someone else's fart? only in law school.

This made me laugh so much

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had mass mailed this one firm and was rejected a few days after. The firm later scheduled an abbreviated OCI session at my school and I somehow got an interview with them. Since I had nothing to lose (I had already been rejected), I hatched a plan -- I would get the last interview slot of the day, and then ask the interviewers if they would get a beer with me instead of interviewing in the same room they've been in all day. Show some boldness, personality, etc. Basically just stand out/do something different.

So, the time comes, and they ask how I'm doing right out of the gate. I say, "I'm doing well! Say, you've probably been cooped up in here all day. How about we do this [at a local bar/restaurant] and get a few beers?" Response: "Uhh... I think we're good..."

Obviously didn't get a callback.

Wow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:44 pm

I am a Chinese-American. After the interviewer (partner from biglaw) learned that I was born in China, he spent 15 min lecturing me about why China was so terrible in the way it treated Tibet...

Samara

Postby Samara » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:47 pm

Was told by the interviewer to arrive 20 minutes early because of long security lines. Arrived 25 minutes early, security took two minutes, max. Stalled for a little bit, but eventually decided to go up about 15 minutes early. There were no other interviews going on at the time, so they called me back pretty soon thereafter for my interview.

First thing she told me was that they were on a strict time schedule, so the interview could only last 20 minutes. Okay, I said. "And you'll have to keep your own time." (uhhhh...wut?) There were no clocks in the room and I wasn't wearing a watch, so I had to keep my phone out on the desk the whole time and check it periodically. I kept my answers timed well and they asked me if I had any questions with about five minutes left. I asked two questions, perfectly timed to finish up the rest of the time.

"Okay, I think that's the twenty minutes. I'll let you get to your other interviews. Thanks for taking the time to meet with me."

She replied, "Oh, is it 20 minutes already?" "According to my time, I think so." "Well, if you have anymore questions, go ahead and ask. We have plenty of time."

(I THOUGHT YOU WERE ON A STRICT TIME SCHEDULE!) I scrambled for a couple of other questions, but she wouldn't end the interview. I again had to say thank you for your time, etc to end it myself. She acted like she forgot that she had all these other interviews. As I leave, there is no one in the lobby waiting to interview after me and she goes right back to work like I'm the last interview of the morning.

Got an offer. But easily the most awkward interviewer I've ever had.

kykiske

Postby kykiske » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:50 pm

The interviewer and I were talking about football. And the conversation came up about how amazing a running back Adrian Peterson is. I said how, "He's way better than any Lions runningback."

It was then I noticed the Detroit Lions hat hanging in the partner's office. And my heart literally sank to the ground.

The partner laughs and responds, "Tell me about it. We need Sanders back."

Got an offer and will be joining them for the summer!

Myself

Postby Myself » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:40 pm

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:00 am

ajax adonis wrote:
kykiske wrote:The interviewer and I were talking about football. And the conversation came up about how amazing a running back Adrian Peterson is. I said how, "He's way better than any Lions runningback."

It was then I noticed the Detroit Lions hat hanging in the partner's office. And my heart literally sank to the ground.

The partner laughs and responds, "Tell me about it. We need Sanders back."

Got an offer and will be joining them for the summer!

Glad to hear not all partners are insecure, defensive jerks.

It's not that big of an insult to say Adrian Peterson is better than the Lions RBs.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am a Chinese-American. After the interviewer (partner from biglaw) learned that I was born in China, he spent 15 min lecturing me about why China was so terrible in the way it treated Tibet...

Shoulda told em that Tibet was a shitty feudal society dominated by some moronic religious theocracy

arkgawilson

Postby arkgawilson » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Strangest interview question I was ever asked:
"What does mutual discovery mean to you?" I responded with some sort of bs about growing with an organization. In my head I was thinking "two teenagers in the back of a VW bug?"

-----

Dumbest interview answer I ever gave:
Interviewer: How would your boss describe you?
Me: Smart, hardworking, and that I need to smile more.
Interviewer: You don't seem to have a problem smiling.
Me: Oh, I say that because he makes fun of me when I am "in the zone" because I look like I'm scowling at the computer when I'm really concentrating. I think it is also because I have a naturally furrowed brow, so I look like I'm serious a lot.
Interviewer: And are you a serious person?
Me: Not too serious.

-----

Dumbest joke I ever tried to make in an interview:
Interviewer: Well, I hope you have a great plane-ride back home.
Me: I plan on it. I brought my yoga pants to make sure I'm comfortable.

-----

Strangest interview moment:
Interviewer: So what did you do with X group in law school?
Me: We did an awareness campaign regarding female genital mutilation, y, and z.
Interviewer: Female genital mutilation, huh? Have you heard some guys say that circumcision is male genital mutilation? Have you heard that? What do you think of that?
Me: Oh wow. That is crazy. I guess I could see it. I mean, I guess it could be traumatizing for a little baby to have that done, but I haven't been in that situation, so I can't really speak to that.

-----

Dumbest ever:
Interviewer: Where are you from?
Me: The south.
Interviewer: Really? You don't sound like it.
Me: Why thank you, I've tried very hard not to.
Interviewer: I find southern accents endearing.
Me: You should hear me after I talk to my mom on the phone for an hour then.

-----

Yes, I am the embodiment of awkward turtle. I have many many more. Including one where I said that I left my old job because I am more of an introvert and so I was drained after dealing with people all day doing customer service. Yeah, I need a "don't be so honest" filter.

The Southern accent is definitely a mixed bag. :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:42 am

Interview for absolute dream job. Going quite well, I think. Finish interview, get in cab, there is a MASSIVE hole in the crotch of my suit. I had no freaking clue. The kicker is that this interview was in someones office, so the interviewer was at a desk and I was just in a chair in front of the desk so that, you guessed it, my crotch was on full display. Despite this being, in my opinion, my best interview in three years as a law student, I got the rejection letter a month later.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:46 am

Samara wrote:Was told by the interviewer to arrive 20 minutes early because of long security lines. Arrived 25 minutes early, security took two minutes, max. Stalled for a little bit, but eventually decided to go up about 15 minutes early. There were no other interviews going on at the time, so they called me back pretty soon thereafter for my interview.

First thing she told me was that they were on a strict time schedule, so the interview could only last 20 minutes. Okay, I said. "And you'll have to keep your own time." (uhhhh...wut?) There were no clocks in the room and I wasn't wearing a watch, so I had to keep my phone out on the desk the whole time and check it periodically. I kept my answers timed well and they asked me if I had any questions with about five minutes left. I asked two questions, perfectly timed to finish up the rest of the time.

"Okay, I think that's the twenty minutes. I'll let you get to your other interviews. Thanks for taking the time to meet with me."

She replied, "Oh, is it 20 minutes already?" "According to my time, I think so." "Well, if you have anymore questions, go ahead and ask. We have plenty of time."

(I THOUGHT YOU WERE ON A STRICT TIME SCHEDULE!) I scrambled for a couple of other questions, but she wouldn't end the interview. I again had to say thank you for your time, etc to end it myself. She acted like she forgot that she had all these other interviews. As I leave, there is no one in the lobby waiting to interview after me and she goes right back to work like I'm the last interview of the morning.

Pro tip: During OCI do not do this. Wait for the knock and wait for the interviewer to end.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Interview for absolute dream job. Going quite well, I think. Finish interview, get in cab, there is a MASSIVE hole in the crotch of my suit. I had no freaking clue. The kicker is that this interview was in someones office, so the interviewer was at a desk and I was just in a chair in front of the desk so that, you guessed it, my crotch was on full display. Despite this being, in my opinion, my best interview in three years as a law student, I got the rejection letter a month later.

I feel your pain bro.

Similar story. The day before the most important call-back of my life (I feel at that time), I got a zit on the right side of my face. I decided to squeeze it out. Usually after I do that, it will recover overnight. But for some fucked up reasons, the zit became a massive red rash covering half of my right face. It literally looked like the butt cheek of a baboon. I did everything I could but it wouldn't go away. I tried to act normal during the interviews but really felt uncomfortable throughout the day as people made eye contact with me. Rejection email four weeks later.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Similar story. The day before the most important call-back of my life (I feel at that time), I got a zit on the right side of my face. I decided to squeeze it out. Usually after I do that, it will recover overnight. But for some fucked up reasons, the zit became a massive red rash covering half of my right face. It literally looked like the butt cheek of a baboon. I did everything I could but it wouldn't go away. I tried to act normal during the interviews but really felt uncomfortable throughout the day as people made eye contact with me. Rejection email four weeks later.

I'm going to assume you're a guy, because if you were a girl you would've used some concealer/foundation to cover this up. This is why I think men need to have concealer on hand for emergencies.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:35 am

cinephile wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Similar story. The day before the most important call-back of my life (I feel at that time), I got a zit on the right side of my face. I decided to squeeze it out. Usually after I do that, it will recover overnight. But for some fucked up reasons, the zit became a massive red rash covering half of my right face. It literally looked like the butt cheek of a baboon. I did everything I could but it wouldn't go away. I tried to act normal during the interviews but really felt uncomfortable throughout the day as people made eye contact with me. Rejection email four weeks later.

I'm going to assume you're a guy, because if you were a girl you would've used some concealer/foundation to cover this up. This is why I think men need to have concealer on hand for emergencies.

And be that guy who was wearing poorly applied makeup. No way.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:21 am

Icculus wrote:
Samara wrote:Was told by the interviewer to arrive 20 minutes early because of long security lines. Arrived 25 minutes early, security took two minutes, max. Stalled for a little bit, but eventually decided to go up about 15 minutes early. There were no other interviews going on at the time, so they called me back pretty soon thereafter for my interview.

Pro tip: During OCI do not do this. Wait for the knock and wait for the interviewer to end.

Don't do which part? This was an off-campus interview. The on-campus one I did was quite different (as was every other interview I've ever done) and went a lot smoother. I did the knock and let the interviewer end. Here, I was explicitly told that it was my responsibility to keep track of the time and let them know when it was up. And I don't remember exactly what I said, but it was more open-ended than what I typed up there, something like that's 20 minutes, do we need to stop? Do they make you monitor the time in OCI? I've never heard of that before.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:27 am

Samara wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Don't do which part? This was an off-campus interview. The on-campus one I did was quite different (as was every other interview I've ever done) and went a lot smoother. I did the knock and let the interviewer end. Here, I was explicitly told that it was my responsibility to keep track of the time and let them know when it was up. And I don't remember exactly what I said, but it was more open-ended than what I typed up there, something like that's 20 minutes, do we need to stop? Do they make you monitor the time in OCI? I've never heard of that before.

Sorry, to clarify, always let the interviewer act as time keeper. If you run late it's up to them to stop it. In general if shouldn't be your responsibility.

I was a bit drink last night...go Monday...so I was not exactly as clear as I could be.

Return to “Legal Employment”