Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dingbat

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:58 pm

ajax adonis wrote:
cinephile wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:I used a word incorrectly throughout my interviews. The word I was using really means "good," but I was using the word to mean "bad." No one corrected me, but I realized what I did later.

Not as embarrassing as others, but it's pretty stupid to be using words you don't really know the meaning of.

Like condone/condemn?

Won't say the exact word, but it is kind of along those lines. It's as if I kept telling you, "The police condoned their actions." And what I really wanted to say is that the police prohibited those actions.

Someone cue pollfessor - If he talks for more than 30 seconds it's a given that this will happen

As an aside, last semester we had a section dinner, and a professor for next (this) semester came to say hi. I asked what she teaches (civ pro) and proceeded to blurt out "oh, nothing I care about".
Anyone want to predict what grade I'll be getting?

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:03 pm

dingbat wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:
cinephile wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:I used a word incorrectly throughout my interviews. The word I was using really means "good," but I was using the word to mean "bad." No one corrected me, but I realized what I did later.

Not as embarrassing as others, but it's pretty stupid to be using words you don't really know the meaning of.

Like condone/condemn?

Won't say the exact word, but it is kind of along those lines. It's as if I kept telling you, "The police condoned their actions." And what I really wanted to say is that the police prohibited those actions.

Someone cue pollfessor - If he talks for more than 30 seconds it's a given that this will happen

As an aside, last semester we had a section dinner, and a professor for next (this) semester came to say hi. I asked what she teaches (civ pro) and proceeded to blurt out "oh, nothing I care about".
Anyone want to predict what grade I'll be getting?

1.) highly doubt she remembers
2.) highly doubt she cares if she does remember
3.) you don't have blind grading?
Last edited by Tanicius on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:10 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:I have a similar great story to tell. I was in this interview and the interviewer asked what my greatest weakness was and I was like "well I hate" and then I said a really bad word that he was really offended by. Can't tell you the word though, it might out me!
Bet he immediately went home and set up a google alert for the word.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:12 pm

Tanicius wrote:1.) highly doubt she remembers
2.) highly doubt she remembers
3.) you don't have blind grading?

I agree
I agree
Yes we do, but professors can still adjust your grades up or down a notch

spets

Postby spets » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:42 pm

One time in an interview, the attorney asked me what I liked to do in my free time and I said a combination of words and phrases that was totally embarrassing!

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:20 am

Why would you use this word? Why not just say "good" or "excellent" or something?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:23 am

spets wrote:One time in an interview, the attorney asked me what I liked to do in my free time and I said a combination of words and phrases that was totally embarrassing!

if the combination somehow involved sexual acts and either animals or children, you should be

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:40 am

Had a dude interview at place I work at and he managed to turn the "what was your least favorite LS class" soft Q into a full fledged indictment of the professor who taught the course. This went on for I guess almost a minute. My boss regularly dines with this professor, and their young children are playmates... yeah folks, treat this Q the correct way (topic was not interesting but was a required 1L class so I did my best / i just struggled because of XYZ and did ABC to overcome that), do not use it as an opportunity to spew negativity.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:46 am

Gorki wrote:Had a dude interview at place I work at and he managed to turn the "what was your least favorite LS class" soft Q into a full fledged indictment of the professor who taught the course. This went on for I guess almost a minute. My boss regularly dines with this professor, and their young children are playmates... yeah folks, treat this Q the correct way (topic was not interesting but was a required 1L class so I did my best / i just struggled because of XYZ and did ABC to overcome that), do not use it as an opportunity to spew negativity.

Moral of the story: never say anything bad about anyone in an interview

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:I (female) had a callback where the male interviewer tells me that the firm's culture was like a frat house. I had no idea what to say, so I was like, "That's so great, I love frat houses." No offer.

lolololol

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:59 am

LeDique wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I (female) had a callback where the male interviewer tells me that the firm's culture was like a frat house. I had no idea what to say, so I was like, "That's so great, I love frat houses." No offer.

lolololol

Counter-intuitive. You'd think that was the perfect answer.

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:57 am

We once had a guy show up to his interview in a white suit, pink shirt, baby blue tie.

When he saw everyone else's suit colours, he announced very loudly that his other suit was at the dry cleaners. Which brought up the question of why he owned a white suit to begin with.

Obv. didn't get an offer.

Another guy was a shoe in for an offer, partners best friend son, good grades, recruitment LOVED him, but then he went on a swearing rampage during his interview. No offer.

It's amazing what some people do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:20 am

Interviewer is doing a good job at keeping me on my toes and twisting everything I say into a position I have to defend. I have a non-PI background, so I highlight the fact that I worked with a public defender for like a month in UG. She immediately counters.

"Sounds like you want to do criminal work, we don't do that here. You are just going to leave when the PD is hiring again, aren't you?"

"Oh, no" I respond. "I don't like criminal law, indignation overshadows professionalism. I get passion, but prosecutors and defense attorneys are just rude to each other."

"My father was a public defender"

"Well I love their passion, its just that I never liked the legal atmosphere in city X" I say backpedaling.

"My dad headed up the pd's in city X" She responds, deadpan.

"They do an amazing job, its one of the best in that nation"

"He was fired for publicly criticizing how it was run," she concludes with a smirk.

"...God those earrings are interesting, did you get them around here?"

Got the Job.

Buck.Shot

Postby Buck.Shot » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:37 am

I once had an interview like that during 1L OCI, and ended up leaving with the impression that the interviewer was a complete asshole. I eventually got the offer, told the guy to piss off, and ended up spending my 1L summer as a line cook.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:02 am

Buck.Shot wrote:I once had an interview like that during 1L OCI, and ended up leaving with the impression that the interviewer was a complete asshole. I eventually got the offer, told the guy to piss off, and ended up spending my 1L summer as a line cook.

There's a lesson in here somewhere...

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewer is doing a good job at keeping me on my toes and twisting everything I say into a position I have to defend. I have a non-PI background, so I highlight the fact that I worked with a public defender for like a month in UG. She immediately counters.

"Sounds like you want to do criminal work, we don't do that here. You are just going to leave when the PD is hiring again, aren't you?"

"Oh, no" I respond. "I don't like criminal law, indignation overshadows professionalism. I get passion, but prosecutors and defense attorneys are just rude to each other."

"Well I love their passion, its just that I never liked the legal atmosphere in city X" I say backpedaling.

"He was fired for publicly criticizing how it was run," she concludes with a smirk.

Got the Job.

I seriously lol'ed at this one

Buck.Shot

Postby Buck.Shot » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:43 am

moonman157 wrote:
Buck.Shot wrote:I once had an interview like that during 1L OCI, and ended up leaving with the impression that the interviewer was a complete asshole. I eventually got the offer, told the guy to piss off, and ended up spending my 1L summer as a line cook.

Yeah, my spitefulness substantially outweighs my desire to gain any type of upward social mobility. As I see it, I can grind my ass off and pop moet and bang models, or I can drop out and chug Old English and jerk off to youjizz. The latter option seems more attractive at this point.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:14 am

Buck.Shot wrote:
moonman157 wrote:

Yeah, my spitefulness substantially outweighs my desire to gain any type of upward social mobility. As I see it, I can grind my ass off and pop moet and bang models, or I can drop out and chug Old English and jerk off to youjizz. The latter option seems more attractive at this point.

Out of curiosity, what do you do now?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:47 am

2L summer interview with a nonprofit...

> 'So, I see you speak Spanish, how did you learn it?'

'I took some classes in high school but it never really clicked. At the time I was working at a restaurant that provided us a free meal every shift. New management came in and took that perk away. I realized that if I asked our Mexican cooks in Spanish to cook something and then hide it, they would do it. So, I started practicing my Spanish more to get the free food I wanted that my new bosses refused to give me.'

> '. . .'

'I promise I won't steal office supplies from you.'

I was offered the spot before I left the office.

Myself

Postby Myself » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:39 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:06 am

ajax adonis wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interviewer is doing a good job at keeping me on my toes and twisting everything I say into a position I have to defend. I have a non-PI background, so I highlight the fact that I worked with a public defender for like a month in UG. She immediately counters.

Got the Job.

No way, is this for real?

OP here.

Other than some paraphrasing and condensing, yes.

Broseidon

Postby Broseidon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:11 am

Interviewer redeemed herself at the end but if she was chill and sociable that would have never happened. If I'm ever in the position to be interviewing somebody I'd never pull that crap.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:05 am

Lets just say that Fried Frank is not a hot dog vendor

h_jane_w

Postby h_jane_w » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1) Had a screener with a partner and an associate. The partner farted and both looked over at me. I was flustered at that point so I just apologized profusely. It really stunk too. Got a CB.

:lol: :lol:

2.) At a CB: Partner asks why I transferred. I give the same response probably every transfer gives. Partner responds with, "WRONG. I HATE LIARS. You transferred to xyz school because it was probably the best one you could get into. I bet the better schools rejected you, so you went to xyz because you didn't care about the stats or location of the particular school, just the ranking. You probably had a horrible LSAT score, mediocre GPA, and unimpressive resume and couldn't get into a decent school the first time around. I don't know where your 1L school is located, and I doubt anyone at our firm graduated from there. Why are you even here?" I just tried smiling, nodding and waiting for his next question.

omg please tell me that did not actually happen

Postby 20130312 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:58 am

My response would have probably been something like

Return to “Legal Employment”