Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:01 pm

Screener interview with older female partner and an associate. It gets to the "What questions do you have for us?" part of the interview, and I ask "What do you like most about working at [firm name]?"

Partner answers with: "That it's [firm name]."
Partner then stares at me, expressionless, for 30 seconds as I wait for her to expand on that answer. I finally realize she's not going to say anything else so I ask another question.

no CB.

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:04 pm

crazycanuck wrote:
nevdash wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
DarkwingDick wrote:^Offer?

crazycanuck wrote:At the same firm I had 2 interviews + a lunch interview in the same day. The lunch was buffet style and we sat at tables with a bunch of other partners and different levels. Like 2 interview people and then 4-5 firm employees. I decided the roast beef + au jus looked particularly delicious. I was enjoying it and chatting to a partner when a rather large piece fell, landed on my shirt, and rolled down onto my lap. The partner had watched the whole thing and the corners of his mouth twitched a little as he obviously fought to hold in the laughter.

Currently work at the firm, partner can't look at me without laughing. In the bathroom i was washing my hands once and he came up next to me and said "hey gravy boat".

Just stick with salads with no dressing in interviews.

...But did he get an offer, though?

SInce I work there, I obviously got an offer.

Ohhhh. Thanks for clarifying. I didn't quite get it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:47 pm

Screener interview with IP firm.
My resume is littered with science: degree, PhD, work experience. Plus member of law school IP society.
Interviewer says, "nothing on your resume really says IP."

:roll:

The Platypus

Postby The Platypus » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:09 pm

nevdash wrote:Ohhhh. Thanks for clarifying. I didn't quite get it.

You're gonna go far kid, far.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:22 pm

DarkwingDick wrote:^Offer?

Seriously?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:29 pm

This wasn't at a law firm interview, but I'm sure someone can appreciate. I was interviewing for a management position at a multinational firm:

Q: We do business in places like [third world country] where it's not unusual for officials to require some kind of sweetener. What do you think of that?
A: something negative
2nd interviewer: Just to interject, we're not looking for the boy scout answer, we need to be able to get things done

I started to explain how in some countries/cultures bribery isn't a dirty word and then spending the next 15 minutes trying to backtrack on my answer. The interview ends with one of the board members telling me that at least I got to enjoy a free trip to XYZ (they flew me in to the craptastic "city" their headquarters was in - some shithole I would never visit unless I was getting paid, where I spent a miserable 3 days waiting for my return flight)

Postby 09042014 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
NYC2012 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interviewer opens door looks me up and down "I don't know who is telling you its ok to wear a black suit but its not ok to wear a black suit" (I am female, thought it was ok) "I don't know if you are going to take my order or prep me for my funeral"

Later

"You know you should really take more substantive classes" (looks at my paperwork, sees that I am taking substantive classes) "Oh..." crickets start chirping and the interview dies. Luckily I was dressed appropriately for its funeral.

Nervous 0L here, is it really inappropriate to wear a black suit? WTF?

I am a female and wore a black pantsuit to every screener and callback. I didn't get a single comment on it and still got offers. Wear what you are comfortable in.

Women have different rules you ignoramus.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Partner: "You are not on a journal."

Me: "I chose not to participate in the writing competition because ..."

Partner: "No, no need to explain that, I applaud you for it. It's useless BS. When I was at your school (CCN), my writing was so bad that I did not get on a journal. I got on this xxx journal just by signing up. Completely a waste of time."

Bad interview moments? I dunno, kinda awkward. But thank you dear partner for letting me know I am not a complete idiot for not doing a journal.

This poster should be outted for humblebragging.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:35 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
NYC2012 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interviewer opens door looks me up and down "I don't know who is telling you its ok to wear a black suit but its not ok to wear a black suit" (I am female, thought it was ok) "I don't know if you are going to take my order or prep me for my funeral"

Later

"You know you should really take more substantive classes" (looks at my paperwork, sees that I am taking substantive classes) "Oh..." crickets start chirping and the interview dies. Luckily I was dressed appropriately for its funeral.

Nervous 0L here, is it really inappropriate to wear a black suit? WTF?

I am a female and wore a black pantsuit to every screener and callback. I didn't get a single comment on it and still got offers. Wear what you are comfortable in.

Women have different rules you ignoramus.

Original anon was a female.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:40 am

Desert Fox wrote:

Partner: "No, no need to explain that, I applaud you for it. It's useless BS. When I was at your school (CCN), my writing was so bad that I did not get on a journal. I got on this xxx journal just by signing up. Completely a waste of time."

Bad interview moments? I dunno, kinda awkward. But thank you dear partner for letting me know I am not a complete idiot for not doing a journal.

Not sure that his intent was to brag, but it did kind of come out that way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:55 am

Partner in interview was an adjunct con law lecturer at another rival school. Associate in interview was a recent alum from my school. All 3 of us men. Conversation has been jovial but law-school centered. Mostly making fun of various types of law students.

Partner: What is your least favorite constitutional amendment?
Me: The 18th amendment, right guys?
Partner: .....Do you actually oppose women voting?
Me: .......................... no...................... I think you are thinking of the 19th amendment?
Partner: You have your numbers wrong there.......so do you have any questions about our firm?

Associate poker-face suppressing laughter the entire time. That fucker.

No CB.

A12345

Postby A12345 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Partner in interview was an adjunct con law lecturer at another rival school. Associate in interview was a recent alum from my school. All 3 of us men. Conversation has been jovial but law-school centered. Mostly making fun of various types of law students.

Me: .......................... no...................... I think you are thinking of the 19th amendment?
Partner: You have your numbers wrong there.......so do you have any questions about our firm?

No CB.

^ this is good stuff

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Partner in interview was an adjunct con law lecturer at another rival school. Associate in interview was a recent alum from my school. All 3 of us men. Conversation has been jovial but law-school centered. Mostly making fun of various types of law students.

No CB.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:31 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:43 am

Dinner night before CB. The firm hadn't quite reached the minimum they were required to reach at the restaurant, so they decided to spice things up and buy ~$50/shot tequila. They put the shot glasses out in front of everybody, and without thinking, I just take the entire thing in one gulp.
*Stares/you did it all at once!/you're supposed to savor it!
Me: Sorry, undergrad reflex.

Offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:46 am

ndirish2010 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Not sure that his intent was to brag, but it did kind of come out that way.

What's there to brag about? Dead silence, probably no offer. It is just that ever since the start of the recruiting season, I was told over and over again how much of a disadvantage I am at with no journal. All those sleepless nights wondering why on earth did I not do the writing competition ... ...

Postby 20130312 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Dinner night before CB. The firm hadn't quite reached the minimum they were required to reach at the restaurant, so they decided to spice things up and buy ~$50/shot tequila. They put the shot glasses out in front of everybody, and without thinking, I just take the entire thing in one gulp.

Offer.

Did you lick salt off of yourself and suck a lime too?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:57 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Dinner night before CB. The firm hadn't quite reached the minimum they were required to reach at the restaurant, so they decided to spice things up and buy ~$50/shot tequila. They put the shot glasses out in front of everybody, and without thinking, I just take the entire thing in one gulp.

Offer.

No, it was a body shot.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:57 am

Offer.

hahaha for some reason i particularly enjoyed this one. even better that it ended with an offer.

Postby 20130312 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

Offer.

No, it was a body shot.

YOU'RE HIRED.

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:07 pm

Offer.

Who savors anything put into a shot glass? Snifters are for savoring.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:11 pm

drmguy wrote:

Offer.

Who savors anything put into a shot glass? Snifters are for savoring.

Yeah seriously, I would have done the same thing TBH.

spets

Postby spets » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:13 pm

Offer.

Even in undergrad, you'd wait to take the shot with everyone. Rude.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:07 pm

On a recent cb (may have been the worst half hour of my entire life):

Partner: why our firm?
Me: I like that your firm is a large international firm with a robust corporate practice. Moreover, I'm particularly impressed that a firm as large as yours is so focused on the future and experiencing such dynamic growth....

Partner: Do you have an answer for me that's not just bullshit?
Me: ....???.... uumm

Partner: I mean seriously, we're a big firm and we like to grow? Yay. That's meaningless. Every firm is big and likes to grow. Doesn't tell me why we should have you here.

Partner: do you have any questions for me about the firm?
Me: I know the firm has experienced a lot of lateral growth recently, what are the growth plans for the future? Do they include organic, bottom up growth that includes junior associates?

Partner: no, I'm not going to tell you the bullshit that we love junior associates. Junior associates are worthless, the don't know a damn thing and cost more of the firm's resources than they bring in. We will take in a few every year just to staff our work and with the hope that some stick around and actually make money for us.

Partner again: don't buy the crap that we love you and want to advance your career. We, just like any major firm, are going to work you hard, treat you badly, and give you boring work. We are hiring you just for self-interested economic reasons, nothing else. If you realize this early on, you will understand that you have to advance your own career.

Partner yet again: Any other questions?
Me: can you tell me about any unique features that your summer program might have?

Partner: No. We don't have any unique features to our summer program. It's just like everybody else's program, except that maybe we will spend a little less money on you, and less time making sure you have fun. Don't believe anybody when they tell you that OUR program gives you real work, it won't. We don't trust you yet, we will give you some unimportant stuff to see if you have any ability to do any work.

Me (in my head): Is this firm full of assholes like you, or are you the only one?

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:42 pm

Me: I like that your firm is a large international firm with a robust corporate practice. Moreover, I'm particularly impressed that a firm as large as yours is so focused on the future and experiencing such dynamic growth....

Partner was a dick, but that's still a bs answer.

Return to “Legal Employment”