Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
whyamIonthissite

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby whyamIonthissite » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:25 pm

I had some spare time in the middle of the day during early interview week, so I went home to eat, relax, and thought it would be a good idea to give myself a fresh shave before returning for my afternoon interviews. Bad idea -- I cut my chin while shaving, and the sucker wouldn't stop bleeding for anything. I only had enough time to put my suit back on and run back to the hotel, and I rarely shave so I didn't know what else to do besides put pressure on it, but that wasn't enough. An hour and a half later and through two interviews it was still bleeding; I had to sit there holding a bloody rag against my face, trying to make it seem like I was just being pensive (picture: Rodin's The Thinker.) Needless to say, it didn't take long to receive rejection letters from those firms.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:32 pm

whyamIonthissite wrote:I had some spare time in the middle of the day during early interview week, so I went home to eat, relax, and thought it would be a good idea to give myself a fresh shave before returning for my afternoon interviews. Bad idea -- I cut my chin while shaving, and the sucker wouldn't stop bleeding for anything. I only had enough time to put my suit back on and run back to the hotel, and I rarely shave so I didn't know what else to do besides put pressure on it, but that wasn't enough. An hour and a half later and through two interviews it was still bleeding; I had to sit there holding a bloody rag against my face, trying to make it seem like I was just being pensive (picture: Rodin's The Thinker.) Needless to say, it didn't take long to receive rejection letters from those firms.

That's great. The head of OCS at my school told a few of us a story of somebody last year who was on his way into EIW when he realized he forgot to shave. He bought a disposable razor, and, because he felt the need to take his shirt off while he shaved, he didn't want to do it in a public bathroom. So he used one in a hospitality suite. Then he cut his cheek and had to wait for it to stop bleeding. Came out of the bathroom, mumbled "stomach problems" to the people in the hospitality suite, and left.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:38 pm

whyamIonthissite wrote:I had some spare time in the middle of the day during early interview week, so I went home to eat, relax, and thought it would be a good idea to give myself a fresh shave before returning for my afternoon interviews. Bad idea -- I cut my chin while shaving, and the sucker wouldn't stop bleeding for anything. I only had enough time to put my suit back on and run back to the hotel, and I rarely shave so I didn't know what else to do besides put pressure on it, but that wasn't enough. An hour and a half later and through two interviews it was still bleeding; I had to sit there holding a bloody rag against my face, trying to make it seem like I was just being pensive (picture: Rodin's The Thinker.) Needless to say, it didn't take long to receive rejection letters from those firms.

lol good stuff.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:39 pm

brotip: don't apply pressure next time, just let it bleed.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:26 pm

YankeesFan wrote:I still dont think that those beat "Are you trying to fuck us over?" That is the best interview question I have ever heard.

What page is this story on?

fatduck wrote:i had a great CB lunch where my interviewer outed me on tls, implied that i had only taken the callback to get a free plane ticket and passive-aggressively threatened to report me to the dean, talked mad shit about all the other firms i'd interviewed with, and then spent half an hour grilling me on why i left the army and criticizing my lack of patriotism. he also told me that at his firm, the junior associates have the most power in the recruiting process, and if one associate has a "bad feeling" about a candidate they won't receive an offer. he also bragged on the way to the (very expensive) restaurant that "he goes here all the time on his own, so he likes to take callbacks here since he's very familiar with the menu."

anyway, got an offer, starting there next summer. can't wait!

So... this guy knows your TLS identity and you're still posting stuff about him?

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:08 pm

Drake014 wrote:
YankeesFan wrote:I still dont think that those beat "Are you trying to fuck us over?" That is the best interview question I have ever heard.

What page is this story on?

i think it was page 2 or something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:58 pm

NYC Biglaw Interview

My host associate drops me off at one partner's office at 3:10pm. He tells her "Please come and pick him up at 3:25pm sharp, thank you."

The interview begins and he hasn't even viewed my resume prior to me showing up. Takes about 2 min to sit and read it in silence in front of me. Looks up and ask me if I would like to do transactional or litigation. I answer "I am really interested in transactional work be cause I like the idea of working with clients and helping protect their interest, etc..." Partner: "What is it with student's and this whole transactional because it's non adversarial? I know you didn't say that but so many do and it really upsets me." He then proceeds to carry on for literally 9+ minutes about how negotiating a contract is adversarial. It is our duty as attorneys to be zealous advocates, etc. With minutes to spare he ask me if I have any questions. I spend those precious few seconds apologizing for the non-adversarial response that I never gave to begin with. Knock at the door at 3:25pm exactly. Ding 10 days later.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:22 pm

bjsesq wrote:Told a founding partner I wouldn't kick his ass because he was wearing a pink shirt.

Told two senior associates that I planned to create a B movie about a super snake called King Boaconda and that I was trying to get Mario Van Peebles to start in it.

No offers at both.

I own a video camera, and know a Mario, let' make a movie.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:22 pm

Icculus wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Told a founding partner I wouldn't kick his ass because he was wearing a pink shirt.

Told two senior associates that I planned to create a B movie about a super snake called King Boaconda and that I was trying to get Mario Van Peebles to start in it.

No offers at both.

I own a video camera, and know a Mario, let' make a movie.

This is gonna happen.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:23 pm

Bump. We have to revive this thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:42 pm

I jut had a callback in NY. I walk into my very first interview. As Im sitting I say, "how are you?". The guy looks at me, says, "well you dont really care.". All down hill from there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:09 pm

Went through 3L OCI this year and stopped by a hospitality suite to try and scrounge up an interview with that firm. I walk into the suite first thing in the morning when all the interviewers are in there eating breakfast and (almost literally) run into one of the named partners of the firm.

He says "Hi, I'm [name]."
I said, "Hi, I'm [name]. I actually interviewed with you last year."
Him: "How did it go?"
Me: "Honestly, not great."
Him: "Fair enough. I'm gonna grab another muffin."

Given my interview with him last year I wouldn't have expected this interaction to go any other way.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:40 pm

This isn't going to amount to dishwasher or any of the other greats, but:

Interviewed with a DA office in a secondary market. The interview itself went fine, after I shook hands and opened the door to leave the room I remembered that I had a jacket I brought with me. I turned around to get it and noticed it wasn't there. I looked around quickly and didn't see it so I assumed I left it in the lobby and decided to head out. In the lobby the jacket was nowhere to be found. I knew it would look bad but I walked back into the interview room and made a joke about misplacing my jacket. The whole panel looked for my jacket for like 5 minutes and the head of the appellate division was on his knees looking under his table. Eventually the secretary noticed us and casually mentioned that she hung up my jacket in their coat room when I left it in the lobby. I bolted out of there immediately.

Still got the CB.

NYC2012

Postby NYC2012 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewer opens door looks me up and down "I don't know who is telling you its ok to wear a black suit but its not ok to wear a black suit" (I am female, thought it was ok) "I don't know if you are going to take my order or prep me for my funeral"

Later

"You know you should really take more substantive classes" (looks at my paperwork, sees that I am taking substantive classes) "Oh..." crickets start chirping and the interview dies. Luckily I was dressed appropriately for its funeral.

Nervous 0L here, is it really inappropriate to wear a black suit? WTF?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:13 am

NYC2012 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interviewer opens door looks me up and down "I don't know who is telling you its ok to wear a black suit but its not ok to wear a black suit" (I am female, thought it was ok) "I don't know if you are going to take my order or prep me for my funeral"

Later

"You know you should really take more substantive classes" (looks at my paperwork, sees that I am taking substantive classes) "Oh..." crickets start chirping and the interview dies. Luckily I was dressed appropriately for its funeral.

Nervous 0L here, is it really inappropriate to wear a black suit? WTF?

I am a female and wore a black pantsuit to every screener and callback. I didn't get a single comment on it and still got offers. Wear what you are comfortable in.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:15 am

I'm in a screener with a pair of female partners who are alumni from the university. Early on we get to talking about the area around the school, and what great eateries there are. One partner mentions that she took the other interviewers to a deli/sandwich shop close to campus for lunch because she used to work there while in law school. I respond with "oh, I didn't know that place was so old...I mean...on campus for so long...err you know, because I thought it was only a few years old..."

Both the interviewers stared blankly at each other while I tried to dislodge my foot from my mouth. Surprisingly, no CB for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:20 am

1) Walked into a firm's hospitality suite before an interview

Associate: How's EIP going so far?
Me: Really well, thanks.
Associate: Do you guys still read Vault and Chambers to prepare?
Me: Yeah. Actually, it's funny; so far the interviewers' personalities have matched the descriptions on Vault perfectly.
Associate: Well Vault says we're cold and distant.
Me: Er well, except you guys

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:30 am

Partner: "You are not on a journal."

Me: "I chose not to participate in the writing competition because ..."

Partner: "No, no need to explain that, I applaud you for it. It's useless BS. When I was at your school (CCN), my writing was so bad that I did not get on a journal. I got on this xxx journal just by signing up. Completely a waste of time."

Bad interview moments? I dunno, kinda awkward. But thank you dear partner for letting me know I am not a complete idiot for not doing a journal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:05 am

Not really funny but a good word to the wise....I am a 3L who summered with a firm and received an offer the first week in August. In mid July recruiting asked if SAs would man the hospitality suites for our respective schools at OCI. Even though I am planning on doing 3L OCI I and not accepting the firm's offer right away, I stupidly volunteer. I didn't really think ahead about how this might be awkward.

I get there and for the most part everyone is nice and it is not too awkward until I realize one of the interviewers is the partner who recruited me hardcore and just made it really obvious she loved me. She is also known for being to-the-point and brash. I know that if she knows I have not accepted she will grill me in front of everyone. Luckily she is preoccupied by interviewing. Since I barely had got there, I couldn't really leave. After an hour, she comes in because there is a break in her schedule and I am sweating bullets. I get up and walk aimlessly around the suite and the recruiters are looking at me knowingly, perhaps secretly enjoying watching me sweat for being a traitor. By the grace of god the conversation does not turn toward me. Soon she has to go back to interview more.

To complicate matters, my mentor is also there. He also does not know I have not accepted my offer. I make a (hopefully graceful) exit after a couple hours, claiming a doctor's appointment. It feels like it takes hours for the elevator to come to take me away from there because I am worried I am going to run into the female partner or my mentor.

So....yeah.....AWKWARD TURTLE. Also, note to future SAs: do not man the hospitality suite if you are not going to accept the offer you already have.

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not really funny but a good word to the wise....I am a 3L who summered with a firm and received an offer the first week in August. In mid July recruiting asked if SAs would man the hospitality suites for our respective schools at OCI. Even though I am planning on doing 3L OCI I and not accepting the firm's offer right away, I stupidly volunteer. I didn't really think ahead about how this might be awkward.

I get there and for the most part everyone is nice and it is not too awkward until I realize one of the interviewers is the partner who recruited me hardcore and just made it really obvious she loved me. She is also known for being to-the-point and brash. I know that if she knows I have not accepted she will grill me in front of everyone. Luckily she is preoccupied by interviewing. Since I barely had got there, I couldn't really leave. After an hour, she comes in because there is a break in her schedule and I am sweating bullets. I get up and walk aimlessly around the suite and the recruiters are looking at me knowingly, perhaps secretly enjoying watching me sweat for being a traitor. By the grace of god the conversation does not turn toward me. Soon she has to go back to interview more.

To complicate matters, my mentor is also there. He also does not know I have not accepted my offer. I make a (hopefully graceful) exit after a couple hours, claiming a doctor's appointment. It feels like it takes hours for the elevator to come to take me away from there because I am worried I am going to run into the female partner or my mentor.

So....yeah.....AWKWARD TURTLE. Also, note to future SAs: do not man the hospitality suite if you are not going to accept the offer you already have.

I don't think you get the point of this thread. This is not the long-narrative-humblebrag without a punch line or a point thread. This is the bad interview stories thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:21 am

EvilClinton wrote:I don't think you get the point of this thread. This is not the long-narrative-humblebrag without a punch line or a point thread. This is the bad interview stories thread.

shrug. I interpreted it to be the awkward interviewing process thread. This was by far the most awkward thing that happened to me.

chup

Postby chup » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:45 am

EvilClinton wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not really funny but a good word to the wise....I am a 3L who summered with a firm and received an offer the first week in August. In mid July recruiting asked if SAs would man the hospitality suites for our respective schools at OCI. Even though I am planning on doing 3L OCI I and not accepting the firm's offer right away, I stupidly volunteer. I didn't really think ahead about how this might be awkward.

I don't think you get the point of this thread. This is not the long-narrative-humblebrag without a punch line or a point thread. This is the bad interview stories thread.

I give it better than even odds that nobody actually gave half a fuck and he's just a prototypical law student who assumes the rest of the legal world waits with baited breath while he makes the decision whether or not to accept his offer.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:31 am

chup wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:

I give it better than even odds that nobody actually gave half a fuck and he's just a prototypical law student who assumes the rest of the legal world waits with baited breath while he makes the decision whether or not to accept his offer.

I plan on tweeting my acceptance. The partners better be following me. Bottles will be opened at the lucky firm.

Myself

Postby Myself » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:17 am

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:49 am

:oops: I posted this last night but I was pretty wasted and vaguely remember feeling very clever while writing it but now am embarrassed and very hungover to boot.

Return to “Legal Employment”