Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RickyDnwhyc

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:15 pm

Has anyone ever sweared at/called out an interviewer for being an enormous d*bag?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:30 pm

Here are a few from the school of delightfully awful interviewing:
1) Interview with a partner and associate, but associate leaves before the interview. At one point I get the "Do you have any questions for me" and I ask, so how do you like [associate's] practice group. Partner looks at me and says, "that's the other person". No CB.
- Same interview: mentioned natural disaster than happened in area of country where the office I wanted is located. Interviewer looks confused and I realize my interview is with someone from a different office.

2) CB interview, and recruiting coordinator asks for LSAT score. Expresses surprise why I didn't go to a better law school. I tell interviewer: I had a really really bad undergrad GPA. Withdrew before receiving either an offer or rejection.

3) Screener at a larger NY firm: So where else are you interviewing?
Me: [Names a bunch of places]
Screener: Those are all nice Jewish firms
Me: [awkward pause] yeah, I guess we have to stick together
Screener: I'm not Jewish but my wife is.
Me: .....
No CB.

4) Me at the end of one of my first OCI screeners: "You never asked me if I had any questions about the firm! I had a whole bunch prepared!"
No CB.

5) Recruiting person at CB gives me an option of meeting with her again after my interview or just leaving. Recruiting person is one of the key people that makes the hiring decisions.
Me: "I'll just leave, it's fine."
Rejection.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:02 pm

Me (speaking to a young associate at a CB): So, why did you choose this firm?
Him: I didn't research it at all. You should really research it more than I did. *has dead zombie look in his eyes*

Same firm:
Interviewing partner: So, what are you looking for in a firm?
Me: (usual answer, etc.), "and I'm looking for a firm where I can have a long career."
Him: Oh. Well that won't happen here. Most people don't stay longer than 3 years because I fire them after that point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:23 pm

The partner who told me he bills $700 an hour and then spends 25 of the 30 minute interview lecturing me on ayn rand and objectivism because I'm "too nice". I'm a hardcore libertarian and have studied rand intensely.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:25 pm

At a firm where they have someone pull a bunch of candidates into a room and kind of give them a pep talk before their CBs (which is weird enough). Partner speaking to us says something like, "Program X is a really important program for our firm, and I encourage you to ask some of your interviewers about their experiences with it."

First interview. Guy says that he never reviews any resumes before the interview. Asks if I have an extra copy of mine for him to peruse. I give him one. He takes it, looks at it a second, and then holds it up to the light. Says, "Huh, I see that you managed to get the watermark on the resume paper right side up, well done." I'm not really sure how to respond, so I say something along the lines of "Yup, I guess I did." He proceeds to ask me if I got it right the first time with the printer or if I had to retry it. Then he asks me if I thought the extra expense of the resume paper was worth it. Basically we spend the first 15 minutes of the interview discussing the physical object that is my resume without ever discussing anything that I actually have written on it. I'm grinning like an idiot b/c I think this must be a joke of some kind. Interviewer does not seem to see the humor in it.

Finally he asks if I have any questions for him. I start off by asking him about his experiences with Program X. He looks at blankly for a second and then says "I've never heard of that.". (and everyone at the firm was supposed to participate). I wanted to ask if he actually worked at the firm. Other 4 interviews seems to go really well. Got an offer from every other CB I went on. No offer.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The partner who told me he bills $700 an hour and then spends 25 of the 30 minute interview lecturing me on ayn rand and objectivism because I'm "too nice". I'm a hardcore libertarian and have studied rand intensely.

Grown adults take Rand seriously? TIL

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:57 pm

Interviewer: Are you trying to F*** us over?

Me: *Not sure how to respond* Umm... err... I'm not sure what you're asking?

Interviewer: Why didn't you just say no?

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:First interview. Guy says that he never reviews any resumes before the interview. Asks if I have an extra copy of mine for him to peruse. I give him one. He takes it, looks at it a second, and then holds it up to the light. Says, "Huh, I see that you managed to get the watermark on the resume paper right side up, well done." I'm not really sure how to respond, so I say something along the lines of "Yup, I guess I did." He proceeds to ask me if I got it right the first time with the printer or if I had to retry it. Then he asks me if I thought the extra expense of the resume paper was worth it. Basically we spend the first 15 minutes of the interview discussing the physical object that is my resume without ever discussing anything that I actually have written on it. I'm grinning like an idiot b/c I think this must be a joke of some kind. Interviewer does not seem to see the humor in it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewer: Are you trying to F*** us over?

Wha? Did you ever figure out what he was referring to?

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:21 pm

I'm going to save this one in case I'm ever interviewing someone.

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:43 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:

I'm going to save this one in case I'm ever interviewing someone.

+1

Great question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:53 pm

Interviewing Partner: So, X is a top law school!

Me: I've heard that. I go to Y school.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewing Partner: So, X is a top law school!

Me: I've heard that. I go to Y school.

Haha happened to me. She was also an alum of school X.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:06 pm

kapital98 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:First interview. Guy says that he never reviews any resumes before the interview. Asks if I have an extra copy of mine for him to peruse. I give him one. He takes it, looks at it a second, and then holds it up to the light. Says, "Huh, I see that you managed to get the watermark on the resume paper right side up, well done." I'm not really sure how to respond, so I say something along the lines of "Yup, I guess I did." He proceeds to ask me if I got it right the first time with the printer or if I had to retry it. Then he asks me if I thought the extra expense of the resume paper was worth it. Basically we spend the first 15 minutes of the interview discussing the physical object that is my resume without ever discussing anything that I actually have written on it. I'm grinning like an idiot b/c I think this must be a joke of some kind. Interviewer does not seem to see the humor in it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

LOVE your avatar. John Frusciante is the only thing that gets me through law school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:15 pm

Older female interviewer took the entire interview to rant about how the male partners need to understand that women can't have it all, so the young women (of which I am one) who interview won't be sticking around, and they just need to learn to accept that.

*blink*

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
notedgarfigaro wrote:Interviewer: "So, I see you're interested in healthcare law"

Me (resume SCREAMS it): "Yes I am"

Other Interviewer: "You do know our entire health care section just left in April"

Me dumbfounded b/c the website hadn't been updated with that relevant news "err, yes?"

Something similar happened to me on my first OCI interview. A 20 minute scheduled interview lasted 5 minutes. Great way to start the week.

+1

Worst part for me was that I go to a preselect school. If my interest was that obvious why did they preselect me?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:41 pm

I had an OCI interview with the managing partner of a firm office who is a very famous alum from the school so I was a bit nervous for the screener. When asked lit vs. corp, my answer was

Well I'm leaning pretty heavily toward litigation. My summer job exposed me to a lot of the litigation process and really enjoyed it. I also found it played to my strengths such as reading, researching, and writing.

played to my strengths such as reading, researching and writing

strengths such as reading

I felt like such an idiot.

No callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had an OCI interview with the managing partner of a firm office who is a very famous alum from the school so I was a bit nervous for the screener. When asked lit vs. corp, my answer was

Well I'm leaning pretty heavily toward litigation. My summer job exposed me to a lot of the litigation process and really enjoyed it. I also found it played to my strengths such as reading, researching, and writing.

played to my strengths such as reading, researching and writing

strengths such as reading

I felt like such an idiot.

No callback.

I think that's acceptable. You have to be a careful reader in law. It's not like first-grade material or anything.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:59 pm

This gave me a good laugh. Thanks for this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Bombed, just BOMBED a callback last week. I had no idea who I was meeting because the recruiter never responded to my e-mail asking to confirm the callback. So, I go down to the office, get rained on in the process, not sure if they're even expecting me. as soon as i get there, the recruiter grills me about who else i am interviewing with and whether or not i already have an offer elsewhere.

*partner talking about his pro bono work*
me: *stammering*well, that's just great. really, it's so refreshing to see...partners...working for a good cause. it really restores my faith...in the profession. and humanity."

partner: oh, well, now that i've restored your faith in humanity, I guess I can go home.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:26 pm

On a callback, partner mentions deal he did for video game company over a certain video game. I mention I had played that video game that summer. Then I laughed and said, "You know, I don't normally tell my interviewers that."

The video game is called Max Payne 3.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:31 pm

Meep13 wrote:Interviewer: What wakes you up in the morning?

Me: (laughing)...ummm, my alarm clock.

No CB.

During an interview in undergrad a panel asked me the same thing and I said "Coffee."

(I wasn't joking, it was just the first thing that came into my head.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:45 pm

Called Paul Hastings, Paul Weiss three times.

Had one screener with a lit partner and a corporate associate, they spend the first 5-10 minutes eating lunch and talking about people at the firm using first names, then 5 minutes after I had already expressed my preference for corporate the lit partner starts talking about how he likes to make fun of the nerds in corporate. The final blow was when the lit partner asked me my opinion on a new regulation in CA and I told him why I thought it was a bad idea and then he announces that he had just been asked by the Humane Society to help them intervene against a law suit challenging it...

No callbacks at either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:45 pm

One of my CB interviewers (at a big NYC firm) had ants crawling on her desk. We ended up talking about insects.

I also had a CB on about 4 hours sleep. A partner and I met in the conference room, and twenty minutes in I totally blanked. I just could not think of anything to ask, and she was staring at me intently. So, I panicked and said, "Well, thanks for meeting with me." She said something about being ahead of schedule, and left the conference room. She came back ten minutes later to take me to my next interviewer. I got an offer.

Rocío

Postby Rocío » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:46 pm

One time at an interview in Chicago, the interviewer asked me why Chicago. Somehow my response referred to "Ohio," and not Illinois or Chicago. Whoops! (Got a CB though)

At another interview, at the end of a callback interview (panel interview), one of the women actually refused to shake my hand. I just thought she was a bitch, but I heard from other people that she apparently was racist. (No offer, surprise surprise)

At another interview, I swore. The entire panel laughed. (Got a CB)

Return to “Legal Employment”