Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
This was told to me at a CB lunch. Don't know if it's true or urban legend at the firm.

Two associates and a candidate head to lunch. The senior associate orders an Arnold Palmer. The candidate thinks an Arnold Palmer is an alcoholic drink, so he orders a Jack and Coke thinking he needs to match the associate. Throughout lunch the senior associate has a couple refills and the candidate also orders a couple more jack and cokes. By the end of the lunch, the candidate is sloshed and slurring his words. The associates then take the candidate back to the office to begin his afternoon interviews.

No offer. LOL.

I've actually heard essentially this same story (I think each time true) from two people in positions of power I know that drink arnold palmers. I guess a lot of people have just never heard of it.

Oh, and as far as my vote for best story yet, dishwasher story was good but "are you trying to fuck us over" was just so golden. Genius interview question and follow up.

I've heard the Arnold Palmer story many times.

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
This was told to me at a CB lunch. Don't know if it's true or urban legend at the firm.

Two associates and a candidate head to lunch. The senior associate orders an Arnold Palmer. The candidate thinks an Arnold Palmer is an alcoholic drink, so he orders a Jack and Coke thinking he needs to match the associate. Throughout lunch the senior associate has a couple refills and the candidate also orders a couple more jack and cokes. By the end of the lunch, the candidate is sloshed and slurring his words. The associates then take the candidate back to the office to begin his afternoon interviews.

No offer. LOL.

I've actually heard essentially this same story (I think each time true) from two people in positions of power I know that drink arnold palmers. I guess a lot of people have just never heard of it.

Oh, and as far as my vote for best story yet, dishwasher story was good but "are you trying to fuck us over" was just so golden. Genius interview question and follow up.

I read the story at first assuming an Arnold Palmer was alcoholic :oops:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:45 am

Years ago, was interviewing at Fulbright & Jaworiski....

Me: do summers or junior associates get any client contact?
Partner: that's one of the dumbest questions I've heard this week. Why do people keep asking it?

Got a cb hahahaha

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:47 am

I've heard the Arnold Palmer story but where the interviewee orders them and acts drinker and drinker because he thinks it's alcoholic.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Gibson Dunn. Had just done an interview with Kirkland where the partners raved about how the free market system allowed for junior associates to receive more responsibility.

Me: I'm also interested in the firm because of its free market assignment system. Do you think your free market system allows for junior associates to take on more responsibility?

Partner: [30 seconds of silence with him staring at me and a 1st-year associate co-interviewer saying nothing]

Partner: No.

Me: Oh...

[partner then starts reviewing resume of next interviewee]

No CB. Interview had been going off without a hitch before that.

What a dick answer. If that was true (that juniors can't get more responsibility), I would have just lied.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:Gibson Dunn. Had just done an interview with Kirkland where the partners raved about how the free market system allowed for junior associates to receive more responsibility.

Me: I'm also interested in the firm because of its free market assignment system. Do you think your free market system allows for junior associates to take on more responsibility?

Partner: [30 seconds of silence with him staring at me and a 1st-year associate co-interviewer saying nothing]

Partner: No.

Me: Oh...

[partner then starts reviewing resume of next interviewee]

No CB. Interview had been going off without a hitch before that.

LOL. What a weird response. I asked a really similar question in an interview with them, and I did not get that reaction at all. Maybe he wished more associates would be begging for doc review.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:59 am

i had a great CB lunch where my interviewer outed me on tls, implied that i had only taken the callback to get a free plane ticket and passive-aggressively threatened to report me to the dean, talked mad shit about all the other firms i'd interviewed with, and then spent half an hour grilling me on why i left the army and criticizing my lack of patriotism. he also told me that at his firm, the junior associates have the most power in the recruiting process, and if one associate has a "bad feeling" about a candidate they won't receive an offer. he also bragged on the way to the (very expensive) restaurant that "he goes here all the time on his own, so he likes to take callbacks here since he's very familiar with the menu."

anyway, got an offer, starting there next summer. can't wait!

Lincoln

Postby Lincoln » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:06 am

fatduck wrote:i had a great CB lunch where my interviewer outed me on tls, implied that i had only taken the callback to get a free plane ticket and passive-aggressively threatened to report me to the dean, talked mad shit about all the other firms i'd interviewed with, and then spent half an hour grilling me on why i left the army and criticizing my lack of patriotism. he also told me that at his firm, the junior associates have the most power in the recruiting process, and if one associate has a "bad feeling" about a candidate they won't receive an offer. he also bragged on the way to the (very expensive) restaurant that "he goes here all the time on his own, so he likes to take callbacks here since he's very familiar with the menu."

Nice ending.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:10 am

During OCI, I wore my engagement ring to a screener and was explaining why I liked NYC, incorporating my fiance into the answer to further bolster ties. Partner asked if I plan on having children anytime soon. I explained that as I was still young, I wanted to get situated in my career first and work awhile before considering children. Partner said, "Look. Just be open and honest and ask me if we provide flex time. Well, we don't. Biglaw requires that you put in long days and long nights. If you wanted something with easier hours where you could raise a family, you should have interviewed with government or public interest. We want people who are committed to the biglaw lifestyle." I just stared at him, then tried to explain again how I am interested in developing my career right now and how biglaw in particular is right for me. He responded with, "Well, then you shouldn't have worn an engagement ring to the interview or brought up your fiance."

At my very next interview (DC firm) an hour later, I took my ring off. When asked "Why DC," I again incorporated my fiance into the answer automatically, forgetting the previous interaction with the asshole partner. This person was an associate, and she said, "I notice you're not wearing a ring. If you're making up a fiance to show commitment to DC, just know there are other ways to do it, like x, y, z." Facepalm.

No CB for either.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:12 am

fatduck wrote:i had a great CB lunch where my interviewer outed me on tls, implied that i had only taken the callback to get a free plane ticket and passive-aggressively threatened to report me to the dean, talked mad shit about all the other firms i'd interviewed with, and then spent half an hour grilling me on why i left the army and criticizing my lack of patriotism. he also told me that at his firm, the junior associates have the most power in the recruiting process, and if one associate has a "bad feeling" about a candidate they won't receive an offer. he also bragged on the way to the (very expensive) restaurant that "he goes here all the time on his own, so he likes to take callbacks here since he's very familiar with the menu."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope it was Fresh Prince.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:During OCI, I wore my engagement ring to a screener and was explaining why I liked NYC, incorporating my fiance into the answer to further bolster ties. Partner asked if I plan on having children anytime soon. I explained that as I was still young, I wanted to get situated in my career first and work awhile before considering children. Partner said, "Look. Just be open and honest and ask me if we provide flex time. Well, we don't. Biglaw requires that you put in long days and long nights. If you wanted something with easier hours where you could raise a family, you should have interviewed with government or public interest. We want people who are committed to the biglaw lifestyle." I just stared at him, then tried to explain again how I am interested in developing my career right now and how biglaw in particular is right for me. He responded with, "Well, then you shouldn't have worn an engagement ring to the interview or brought up your fiance."

At my very next interview (DC firm) an hour later, I took my ring off. When asked "Why DC," I again incorporated my fiance into the answer automatically, forgetting the previous interaction with the asshole partner. This person was an associate, and she said, "I notice you're not wearing a ring. If you're making up a fiance to show commitment to DC, just know there are other ways to do it, like x, y, z." Facepalm.

No CB for either.

That first interview was highly inappropriate. You should report to OCS.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:16 am

Jessuf wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I hope it was Fresh Prince.

maybe he can provide his perspective. two sides to every story and all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:OCI screener done in a weird hotel room suite that had a full kitchen in it. Interview was with a young female associate and an old and distinguished looking partner. We're talking perfectly pressed suit, cufflinks and monograms on his undoubtedly custom made shirt, every hair exactly where it should be; the kind of guy who talks without moving his jaw. About 10 minutes in, as I'm giving an excellent answer to some softball question, the partner leans back in his chair and puts his hand to his chin as if he's in deep rumination about my answer when all of a sudden he loses his balance and the chair falls backwards. His arms shoot out as he reaches for something, anything, to steady himself to no avail. As the chair hits the ground he does a summersault backwards and tumbles into a dishwasher, turning it on. It was loud. Partner gets up haphazardly, his suit jacket and hair flailing every which way, assures us he's fine and there was no need for us to get up as he starts manically mashing buttons trying to turn off the dishwasher. Associate has literally facepalmed and is shaking her head and quite obviously trying to stifle laughter, which is much better than me because I am cracking the fuck up. It was the most cartoonish thing I've ever witnessed in person and, god help me, I could not reign it in for the life of me. He stands there trying to get it to turn off for like a good 15 seconds before he starts cursing at it like a sailor. I am essentially doubled over laughing at this point and the associate is too. Eventually the partner realizes the sheer ridiculousness of having an interview interrupted by a dishwasher and starts laughing about it too, once he finally got the dishwasher to stop running of course.

Got a callback, offer, and a story I will be telling for the rest of my life.

exact same thing happened to me, less the partner falling off the chair and cursing. He turned it on while leaning back in his chair, so not as funny, but strangely similar. I'm just fearing that they are lurking on tls and thinking that I wrote the quoted post.
#hotelroominterviewproblems
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:exact same thing happened to me, less the partner falling off the chair and cursing. so not as funny, but strangely similar. I'm just fearing that they are lurking on tls and thinking that I wrote the quoted post.

wait, so how did the dishwasher get turned on?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:During OCI, I wore my engagement ring to a screener and was explaining why I liked NYC, incorporating my fiance into the answer to further bolster ties. Partner asked if I plan on having children anytime soon. I explained that as I was still young, I wanted to get situated in my career first and work awhile before considering children. Partner said, "Look. Just be open and honest and ask me if we provide flex time. Well, we don't. Biglaw requires that you put in long days and long nights. If you wanted something with easier hours where you could raise a family, you should have interviewed with government or public interest. We want people who are committed to the biglaw lifestyle." I just stared at him, then tried to explain again how I am interested in developing my career right now and how biglaw in particular is right for me. He responded with, "Well, then you shouldn't have worn an engagement ring to the interview or brought up your fiance."

No CB for either.

I probably would have talked to CSO about your first interviewer. That is complete bullshit and an illegal question, and somehow the follow up response by him was even worse.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:27 am

fatduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:exact same thing happened to me, less the partner falling off the chair and cursing. so not as funny, but strangely similar. I'm just fearing that they are lurking on tls and thinking that I wrote the quoted post.

wait, so how did the dishwasher get turned on?

edited the original post, but he was leaning back in response to my answer and the chair turned it on.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:29 am

romothesavior wrote:

No CB for either.

I probably would have talked to CSO about your first interviewer. That is complete bullshit and an illegal question, and somehow the follow up response by him was even worse.

I've had a lot of people ask me about the "when do you plan on having kids" thing, probably for the same reason, but this was by far the most extreme example. I guess I will notify CSO.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:37 am

romothesavior wrote:

No CB for either.

Yeah, that's some serious discrimination and, for the good of women everywhere, I would have a long talk with OCS about this.

RickyDnwhyc

Postby RickyDnwhyc » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:44 am

GeePee wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

No CB for either.

Yeah, that's some serious discrimination and, for the good of women everywhere, I would have a long talk with OCS about this.

+1

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:43 pm

RickyDnwhyc wrote:
GeePee wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

No CB for either.

+1

Agreed. Even though many interviewers are probably thinking that very thing, his actions were completely out of line.

Rocío

Postby Rocío » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

No CB for either.

I've had a lot of people ask me about the "when do you plan on having kids" thing, probably for the same reason, but this was by far the most extreme example. I guess I will notify CSO.

A lot of law firms have asked you this? Jesus. You should definitely notify CSO though - interviewers should never ask you that.

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:08 pm

f7 wrote:"I'm infertile." /Fake tears.

:lol:

Broseidon

Postby Broseidon » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:24 pm

f7 wrote:"I'm infertile." /Fake tears.

Solid strategy. I really don't get why successful people have to be such assholes.

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Did any of this really happen?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:29 pm

EvilClinton wrote:

Did any of this really happen?

yea dude. i'm pretty sure the guy was serious, too. if he was just testing me, he deserves an emmy.

Return to “Legal Employment”