Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
JusticeJackson

Silver

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby JusticeJackson » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so apparantly there was a typo on my resume my both me and my counselor missed. On a portion of my resume I wrote trials as trails. So at the end of the interview the partner underlines that part and says "this says trails you might want to change that before you hand it out to other ppl some ppl are crazy about that" this was a blessing, I've heard terrible things about the place and the unpleasant nature of their interviews so I'm glad I don't have to worry about a callback.

I actually don’t think this is a deal breaker and I think he probably did you a solid. Ive recommended hiring people that had a typo or two in their application where the application was otherwise solid. And this is like a “your fly is undone” move. Sure it’s a little awkward, but would you rather walk around all day with your pants unzipped?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:27 pm

During OCI, I walked into a very hostile interview room. They were cold from the moment I walked in. I was personable and genuinely tried to connect to my interviewers but they weren't interested.
They asked me one "tell me about yourself" general question and I babbled on a little bit when I noticed that one of my interviewers was filling out my review right in front of me and circling that I was "average" for all categories. This was about 5 minutes in and I was stuck in a conversation with these people for 15 more minutes. I have a decent GPA and I am a good interviewer. I have no idea why this guy was such a dick.

I'm LGBT and out on my resume. I also am straight-passing/not a person that people expect to be LGBT. I had a screener with a Conservative firm with a Conservative city's office ask me through coded language if I was gay. Something like, "so what are you *doing* with [LGBT group on campus]?" She was extremely uncomfortable and so was I. Didn't get a CB :)

xjustyoursmile

Bronze

Postby xjustyoursmile » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I said these 2 things in interviews.

First OCI during 1L with biggest firm in my hometown. In fact, this was my first job interview ever. After a minute or two of small talk partner asks "so what has been your favorite part about law school so far?" After stammering around a bit I respond "well I like working hard, so it's mainly been being up in the library and gettin' down to business." No callback.

--

A few years back, Callback from OCI. Interviewer asks me about firm I worked for 1L summer, and what type of work they do. I respond by telling him the firm's 2 main practice areas. And then for some reason, I proceed to expand. I tell him that because the firm was smaller in size they have to take whatever business they can get at times-then I say "In other words, they have to shoot whatever Indian comes over the hill at the time." Offer.

--

Also, in an interview with a boutique lit firm, I was asked the question, "do you believe in criminal punishment and retribution or friendly rehabilitation?" Then I was asked "So are you comfortable taking out the trash and vacuuming the floors". . . this was in a skyscraper building that obviously had a highly trained property management staff.

I'd never give an offer based on that Indian comment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1. Partner at very prestigious firm while examining my resume asked if my gpa was top 10%. It’s not, which I told him. Just a bit of an odd interviewer overall. Still ended up getting an offer though.

if this partner spent a lot of time talking about clerking for a very famous SCOTUS justice I had the exact same experience (and also got an offer). extremely weird start to an interview

Return to “Legal Employment?