Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bildungsroman

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:34 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:On a CB I asked the interviewer why he picked the firm. He raves about the culture and says something like "people are civil here, just nice people doing good work; we have a no jerk policy here." One second later a sound comes through the air duct: it's two women shrieking at each other about a botched something or other. The attorney keeps talking as if nothing is happening but I cannot even pay attention. The yelling continues and in a minute I hear a knock. It's the recruiting coordinator and she tells the shouting women to "please be quiet because there's a candidate next door." One of the women in the office screams, "Who the hell are you? Don't you ever fucking tell me to be quiet."

The guy who's interviewing me finally acknowledges the yelling, only to say "women" and shrug his shoulder. He then continues his spiel, unphased.

LOL LOL

180 180 180

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:42 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:On a CB I asked the interviewer why he picked the firm. He raves about the culture and says something like "people are civil here, just nice people doing good work; we have a no jerk policy here." One second later a sound comes through the air duct: it's two women shrieking at each other about a botched something or other. The attorney keeps talking as if nothing is happening but I cannot even pay attention. The yelling continues and in a minute I hear a knock. It's the recruiting coordinator and she tells the shouting women to "please be quiet because there's a candidate next door." One of the women in the office screams, "Who the hell are you? Don't you ever fucking tell me to be quiet."

The guy who's interviewing me finally acknowledges the yelling, only to say "women" and shrug his shoulder. He then continues his spiel, unphased.

LOL LOL

180 180 180

This and the dishwasher story are money. This thread proves that biglaw hiring is one of the most hilarious things ever.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:48 pm

"who the hell are you? Don't you ever fucking tell me to be quiet."

LOL

Proof of a law firms great collegial environment if I ever heard it.
This story has me laughing until there are tears in my eyes.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:54 pm

I still dont think that those beat "Are you trying to fuck us over?" That is the best interview question I have ever heard.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:55 pm

sunynp wrote:"who the hell are you? Don't you ever fucking tell me to be quiet."

LOL

Hm, to be fair, once I was BIGLAWSECURE, I would have nothing but contempt for the people in charge of the soul-wrenching recruiting process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:57 pm

On a CB with a firm in NYC, late in the afternoon, around 5 pm or so. I'm with a senior associate at the moment. He's somewhat frazzled, obviously pretty busy. His work phone rings 2 or 3 times during the 30 minutes, he keeps looking at it, rolling his eyes, and ignoring it. Finally, on the 4th ring, he picks it up (I am just sitting there quietly). It's his wife, and he chews her out for bothering him at work: "I'm goddamn busy, I'll talk to you later." Hangs up on her.

No offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:23 pm

Screening interview at 1L OCI

Partner: "I see here that you're fluent in Spanish?"
Me: "Si!"
Partner: "....."
Me: "....."
Partner: "Anyway, what can I tell you about the firm?"

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Screening interview at 1L OCI

:lol:

For some reason this one made me laugh the hardest so far.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:27 pm

Dany wrote:

Just lost it in class looool

Also, this is exactly how my interview is going to go on Friday

sawwaverunner

Postby sawwaverunner » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:36 pm

avb87 wrote:Leg spasm in the middle of the last screener of the day. No callback.

LOL!!!!

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:41 pm

Friend of mine interviewing for the CIA general counsel. They've got a ton of human rights stuff on their resume, including an internship at the Hague. He just looks at them. "Do you know what we... do here?"

Another CIA general counsel interview with a friend:

CIA rep: "So, describe a time in your life when you were challenged."

Friend: "Ah, 1L! Haha..."

CIA rep: "... ..."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:54 pm

Interview with an African-American associate in DC.

Associate: "Yeah, I actually just moved to Alexandria. So now I can vote in an election for a real representative."
Me: "Yeah, you've been re-enfranchised....(realize what I just said)...."

I have issues. Luckily, I don't think they really realized the other way that could have been taken and the associate moved on without a beat.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:05 pm

Said the wrong name in a screener once. Also had friends that wanted to corporate and babbled on about that only to then be told the office doesn't do corporate...

The dishwasher and screaming stories are the best though.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:14 pm

No stories here, but just wanted you guys to know I'm laughling loud as hell at work because of this thread. Favorites are definitely the dishwasher, are you trying to fuck us over, and who the hell are you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:15 pm

Hotel room screener. My interviewer was a former US attorney's office prosecutor, big and intimidating. I walk into the hotel room, there's a desk setup with a chair in front of it. I proceed to sit on the couch and not the chair.

Interviewer: "Please sit in this chair."
Me: "No problem. I'll sit in the chair, on the couch, on the bed, wherever you'd like!"

Got a CB :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Screener interview at OCI with O'Melveny (Partner and Associate) - halfway through my interview the associate starts to text under the table. I realize she is doing this and just stare at her while I keep answering the last question. She notices that I know she's texting and continues to do so. No CB. I should have just walked out.

My OMM screener with a partner, the partner was yawning all through the interview. Dinged the next day. I would've dinged them if they hadn't dinged me.

I think I had him as well. Initials AM? That guy was a mess.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:42 pm

TTH wrote:
sunynp wrote:"who the hell are you? Don't you ever fucking tell me to be quiet."

LOL

Hm, to be fair, once I was BIGLAWSECURE, I would have nothing but contempt for the people in charge of the soul-wrenching recruiting process.

I would not recommend that you give that line a try at your law firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:01 pm

Dany wrote:

Ditto! Started laughing waiting for my flight to interview.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:49 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Dany wrote:

Just lost it in class looool/quote]

almost did the same just now.

the dishwasher story if fucking classic, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:24 am

Screener interview.

Interviewer: Why are you interested in corporate?
Me: I'm very interested in tech start-ups because ...
Interviewer: You do know that we don't do emerging tech, right?
Me: ... (thinking...well why do you have an office in the heart of silicon valley, then?!?)
Interviewer: ...

Takeaway: Do your homework!

UnamSanctam

Postby UnamSanctam » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:26 am

I just read every page of this thread and haven't stopped laughing since dishwasher. Tears streamed down my face.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:27 am

This was told to me at a CB lunch. Don't know if it's true or urban legend at the firm.

Two associates and a candidate head to lunch. The senior associate orders an Arnold Palmer. The candidate thinks an Arnold Palmer is an alcoholic drink, so he orders a Jack and Coke thinking he needs to match the associate. Throughout lunch the senior associate has a couple refills and the candidate also orders a couple more jack and cokes. By the end of the lunch, the candidate is sloshed and slurring his words. The associates then take the candidate back to the office to begin his afternoon interviews.

No offer. LOL.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:47 am

Gibson Dunn. Had just done an interview with Kirkland where the partners raved about how the free market system allowed for junior associates to receive more responsibility.

Me: I'm also interested in the firm because of its free market assignment system. Do you think your free market system allows for junior associates to take on more responsibility?

Partner: [30 seconds of silence with him staring at me and a 1st-year associate co-interviewer saying nothing]

Partner: No.

Me: Oh...

[partner then starts reviewing resume of next interviewee]

No CB. Interview had been going off without a hitch before that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Screener interview at OCI with O'Melveny (Partner and Associate) - halfway through my interview the associate starts to text under the table. I realize she is doing this and just stare at her while I keep answering the last question. She notices that I know she's texting and continues to do so. No CB. I should have just walked out.

My OMM screener with a partner, the partner was yawning all through the interview. Dinged the next day. I would've dinged them if they hadn't dinged me.

I think I had him as well. Initials AM? That guy was a mess.

No. RG here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:14 am

This was told to me at a CB lunch. Don't know if it's true or urban legend at the firm.

Two associates and a candidate head to lunch. The senior associate orders an Arnold Palmer. The candidate thinks an Arnold Palmer is an alcoholic drink, so he orders a Jack and Coke thinking he needs to match the associate. Throughout lunch the senior associate has a couple refills and the candidate also orders a couple more jack and cokes. By the end of the lunch, the candidate is sloshed and slurring his words. The associates then take the candidate back to the office to begin his afternoon interviews.

No offer. LOL.

I've actually heard essentially this same story (I think each time true) from two people in positions of power I know that drink arnold palmers. I guess a lot of people have just never heard of it.

Oh, and as far as my vote for best story yet, dishwasher story was good but "are you trying to fuck us over" was just so golden. Genius interview question and follow up.

Return to “Legal Employment”