Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lnsl123

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby lnsl123 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:39 pm

FedFan123 wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
gfd973 wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:FREE-d Frank for anyone wondering.

Is it really that big of a deal? I mispronounced Weil a few times during an interview. The interviewer acted like I had murdered her cat.

I mean, yeah. It's straight up retarded. You're thinking about this like "well, there are just so many firms." Classic law student entitlement. Your interviewer is almost always thinking about this like "yeah, there are a lot of firms, but if you know how to pronounce even one firm, it better goddamn be mine."

Hilarious. You don't even recognize how hypocritical this is. It has nothing to do with law student entitlement. Both sides think of each other that way. If anything, law students tend to look at things more "romantically" than law firms.

So no, I don't feel guilty or bad about mispronouncing their name. Not when we all know the biglaw business model.

Just out of curiosity, how did you mispronounce Weil? It's a four-letter, one-syllable word lol. Only thing I can think of is maybe you said it like "wheel" but that would make no sense based on the spelling.

How would you pronounce Weiner or Bernstein? Germanic surnames are often mispronounced in the US.

downinDtown

Postby downinDtown » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:48 pm

FedFan123 wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
gfd973 wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:FREE-d Frank for anyone wondering.

Is it really that big of a deal? I mispronounced Weil a few times during an interview. The interviewer acted like I had murdered her cat.

I mean, yeah. It's straight up retarded. You're thinking about this like "well, there are just so many firms." Classic law student entitlement. Your interviewer is almost always thinking about this like "yeah, there are a lot of firms, but if you know how to pronounce even one firm, it better goddamn be mine."

Hilarious. You don't even recognize how hypocritical this is. It has nothing to do with law student entitlement. Both sides think of each other that way. If anything, law students tend to look at things more "romantically" than law firms.

So no, I don't feel guilty or bad about mispronouncing their name. Not when we all know the biglaw business model.

Just out of curiosity, how did you mispronounce Weil? It's a four-letter, one-syllable word lol. Only thing I can think of is maybe you said it like "wheel" but that would make no sense based on the spelling.

Well, it looks like "wheel" but the wily way it's pronounced is "while."

lawman84

Postby lawman84 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:00 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Me: "I actually transferred to my undergrad."

Interviewer/partner: [laughing under his breath]

Me: [Continues to genuinely wax poetic for 5 minutes about how much I loved my undergrad experience and that transferring was the right decision for my circumstance.]

Interviewer: ". . . And how did that work out for you?"

Me: "Um . . . Very well?"

Huh? This seems like it would be very funny if I understood it.

I have an ambiguous firm name and I do hold it against interviewees when they mispronounce it. They can overcome it, but it is a small strike. If you don't have the common sense and forethought to recognize that it is ambiguous and look it up, it makes me uneasy. A junior associate who doesn't think things through will be bad news for me.

I had the common sense to confirm the name. Still mispronounced it. Problem is that you're going to say it the way that is natural to you when your mind is on other things. Regardless, when you have a million law students with little separating them, I don't blame anyone for holding it against a person.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:30 pm

Sliced my head open two days ago. Eight staples in the top of my head. Not really noticeable if I'm looking straight ahead, but if someone is taller than me (most are) or I tilt my head slightly down the staples are glaring.

Callback is today. Because of course it is.

axel.foley

Postby axel.foley » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sliced my head open two days ago. Eight staples in the top of my head. Not really noticeable if I'm looking straight ahead, but if someone is taller than me (most are) or I tilt my head slightly down the staples are glaring.

No one is going to hold this against you. If anything it will elicit sympathy and be a conversation starter. Hope you feel better!

ArtistOfManliness

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:58 pm

axel.foley wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sliced my head open two days ago. Eight staples in the top of my head. Not really noticeable if I'm looking straight ahead, but if someone is taller than me (most are) or I tilt my head slightly down the staples are glaring.

No one is going to hold this against you. If anything it will elicit sympathy and be a conversation starter. Hope you feel better!

I'd probably mention it... hopefully it's a funny story?

gfd973

Postby gfd973 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:41 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
axel.foley wrote:

I'd probably mention it... hopefully it's a funny story?

"Haha yeah, it's a funny story, I was trying to stay awake in Evidence the other day and just thought to myself, 'You know what'd be way better than this? Jumping head first into a woodchipper.' Mad lolz, right?!"

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:03 pm

I would hire someone who would rather jump into a woodchipper than sit in an Evidence class.

Return to “Legal Employment”