Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby rpupkin » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Partner: schools (law) ranked at the top are ranked at the top because they have been around the longest.

Me: (Thinking about undergrad like H, which was founded in the 1900s) yea I know like a hundred years.

Partner: Well not hundreds of years....

Me: .....

Partner: ....

(Missed the chance to explain I meant undergrad.

Me: ......


I'm confused, H = Harvard? HLS was founded in 1817, so that would quite literally be "hundreds of years." YLS was 1824 and SLS was 1893. Know-it-all partners...

It's worse than that. Anon poster thought Harvard undergrad was founded in the 1900s. Harvard is the oldest college in the United States. It's almost 400 years old.

hdunlop
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby hdunlop » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:45 am

NoBladesNoBows wrote:What happened to this thread?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273203
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:49 pm

Let's start this one back up:

Wake up the morning of my interview, shower, and begin packing for my flight after the interview. Morning interview, BTW. At about an hour before my interview, I decide to eat breakfast, a chocolate protein shake. I take a sip, put the drink down and start getting dressed. I go back to take another sip, and shake the bottle, having forgotten that the top was off. Chocolate shake goes everywhere: all over the white sheets, on the desk, the carpet, the wall, AND (I shit you not, pun intended) on the back-side of my suit pants—they were on a chair. It looks like I had explosive diarrhea all over the room.

I go to the bathroom to get towels to clean up the wall and the desk, really the only things I could clean. Of course, the towels are white. I clean the wall and the desk. At this point I have about 40 minutes left. Decide to bunch up the sheets and the towel and leave the open bottle on top so that, after their initial horror upon entering the room, the housekeepers realize it's not fecal stains.

I go to check out and let the front desk know that I spilled chocolate milk on bed, hoping they don't bill the firm for "poop-cleaning." And spend the callback thinking, "if someone says what happened to the back of your pants, I'll just say, 'why are you looking at my butt.'"

Got other offers, withdrew,took awesome pictures of the room to show my friends, and have a funny story to tell.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273203
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:51 pm

Double post

Anonymous User
Posts: 273203
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:42 pm

First biglaw dream job interview

Partner: So why X law?

Me: (completely forgot which practice area this partner did because there were multiple job postings at the same firm) Because I think working with different clients... like partners and directors who get sued for malpractice is interesting...and director derivative law suits are interesting and unique.... (fumbling for words)

Partner: (wtf face) (silence)..... ok. So we also do Y law here....
























DIRECTOR DERIVATIVE LAWSUITS






Offered. No bullshit.

User avatar
mjb447
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby mjb447 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:08 pm

But did you use the phrase "dream job" during the interview?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273203
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:12 pm

mjb447 wrote:But did you use the phrase "dream job" during the interview?


nah it wasn't a "thing" then.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273203
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:20 pm

When I first came across FF, "Fried (as in fried chicken) Frank" just stuck in my head even though I later learned that wasn't the correct pronunciation. During interview, brain farted for a sec and started to say "fry..[began to correct myself immediately]..Fried Frank!!" Interviewer had already noticed and was laughing.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273203
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:29 pm

I brought up Professional Wrestling in an interview. Interviewer gave me several avenues to stop before it got out but I just barreled through because they HAD TO KNOW. No CB.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby North » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:When I first came across FF, "Fried (as in fried chicken) Frank" just stuck in my head even though I later learned that wasn't the correct pronunciation. During interview, brain farted for a sec and started to say "fry..[began to correct myself immediately]..Fried Frank!!" Interviewer had already noticed and was laughing.

That's not how you pronounce it? Okay that explains that ding from forever ago

User avatar
cannibal ox
Posts: 2921
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby cannibal ox » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:57 am

FREE-d Frank for anyone wondering.

lawman84
Posts: 3275
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby lawman84 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:02 am

cannibal ox wrote:FREE-d Frank for anyone wondering.


Is it really that big of a deal? I mispronounced Weil a few times during an interview. The interviewer acted like I had murdered her cat.

User avatar
cannibal ox
Posts: 2921
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby cannibal ox » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:23 am

in b4 "if you can't be bothered to learn how to pronounce a firm name, how can you be trusted to move commas correctly when working here?"

Seriously though, it isn't that hard to go to the pronunciation guide when you're doing your research pre-interview.

lawman84
Posts: 3275
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby lawman84 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:56 am

cannibal ox wrote:in b4 "if you can't be bothered to learn how to pronounce a firm name, how can you be trusted to move commas correctly when working here?"

Seriously though, it isn't that hard to go to the pronunciation guide when you're doing your research pre-interview.


I knew how to pronounce it, but my brain resorted to pronouncing it the way I thought it should be pronounced rather than the correct way.(since my mind was on other things) I probably would have done the same thing with Fried Frank if I had interviewed there.

User avatar
mjb447
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby mjb447 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:14 am

cannibal ox wrote:in b4 "if you can't be bothered to learn how to pronounce a firm name correctly when it counts, how can you be trusted to move commas correctly when working here?"

User avatar
butlerraider1
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:53 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby butlerraider1 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:20 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Partner: schools (law) ranked at the top are ranked at the top because they have been around the longest.

Me: (Thinking about undergrad like H, which was founded in the 1900s) yea I know like a hundred years.

Partner: Well not hundreds of years....

Me: .....

Partner: ....

(Missed the chance to explain I meant undergrad.

Me: ......


I'm confused, H = Harvard? HLS was founded in 1817, so that would quite literally be "hundreds of years." YLS was 1824 and SLS was 1893. Know-it-all partners...

It's worse than that. Anon poster thought Harvard undergrad was founded in the 1900s. Harvard is the oldest college in the United States. It's almost 400 years old.


Has the anon poster clarified this yet? Unless there are typos or something, there are so many confusing things about that post.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273203
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:53 pm

Me: "I actually transferred to my undergrad."

Interviewer/partner: [laughing under his breath]

Me: [Continues to genuinely wax poetic for 5 minutes about how much I loved my undergrad experience and that transferring was the right decision for my circumstance.]

Interviewer: ". . . And how did that work out for you?"

Me: "Um . . . Very well?"

gfd973
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:36 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby gfd973 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:36 pm

lawman84 wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:FREE-d Frank for anyone wondering.


Is it really that big of a deal? I mispronounced Weil a few times during an interview. The interviewer acted like I had murdered her cat.


I mean, yeah. It's straight up retarded. You're thinking about this like "well, there are just so many firms." Classic law student entitlement. Your interviewer is almost always thinking about this like "yeah, there are a lot of firms, but if you know how to pronounce even one firm, it better goddamn be mine."

Anonymous User
Posts: 273203
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:48 pm

At the GDC post-screener dinner I was trying to cut this fried wafer thing into smaller pieces and it fucking exploded all over the partner next to me.

No callback.

User avatar
First Offense
Posts: 6400
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby First Offense » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At the GDC post-screener dinner I was trying to cut this fried wafer thing into smaller pieces and it fucking exploded all over the partner next to me.

No callback.

GDC's pre-CB dinner is kind of weird imo. At least mine was.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273203
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:14 pm

First Offense wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At the GDC post-screener dinner I was trying to cut this fried wafer thing into smaller pieces and it fucking exploded all over the partner next to me.

No callback.

GDC's pre-CB dinner is kind of weird imo. At least mine was.


I found it pretty awful (not related to the wafer-explosion incident), which was a good sign the firm wasn't right for me.

lawman84
Posts: 3275
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby lawman84 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:35 pm

gfd973 wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:FREE-d Frank for anyone wondering.


Is it really that big of a deal? I mispronounced Weil a few times during an interview. The interviewer acted like I had murdered her cat.


I mean, yeah. It's straight up retarded. You're thinking about this like "well, there are just so many firms." Classic law student entitlement. Your interviewer is almost always thinking about this like "yeah, there are a lot of firms, but if you know how to pronounce even one firm, it better goddamn be mine."


Hilarious. You don't even recognize how hypocritical this is. It has nothing to do with law student entitlement. Both sides think of each other that way. If anything, law students tend to look at things more "romantically" than law firms.

So no, I don't feel guilty or bad about mispronouncing their name. Not when we all know the biglaw business model.

FedFan123
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:13 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby FedFan123 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:47 pm

lawman84 wrote:
gfd973 wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:FREE-d Frank for anyone wondering.


Is it really that big of a deal? I mispronounced Weil a few times during an interview. The interviewer acted like I had murdered her cat.


I mean, yeah. It's straight up retarded. You're thinking about this like "well, there are just so many firms." Classic law student entitlement. Your interviewer is almost always thinking about this like "yeah, there are a lot of firms, but if you know how to pronounce even one firm, it better goddamn be mine."


Hilarious. You don't even recognize how hypocritical this is. It has nothing to do with law student entitlement. Both sides think of each other that way. If anything, law students tend to look at things more "romantically" than law firms.

So no, I don't feel guilty or bad about mispronouncing their name. Not when we all know the biglaw business model.


Just out of curiosity, how did you mispronounce Weil? It's a four-letter, one-syllable word lol. Only thing I can think of is maybe you said it like "wheel" but that would make no sense based on the spelling.

lawman84
Posts: 3275
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby lawman84 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:44 pm

FedFan123 wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
gfd973 wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:FREE-d Frank for anyone wondering.


Is it really that big of a deal? I mispronounced Weil a few times during an interview. The interviewer acted like I had murdered her cat.


I mean, yeah. It's straight up retarded. You're thinking about this like "well, there are just so many firms." Classic law student entitlement. Your interviewer is almost always thinking about this like "yeah, there are a lot of firms, but if you know how to pronounce even one firm, it better goddamn be mine."


Hilarious. You don't even recognize how hypocritical this is. It has nothing to do with law student entitlement. Both sides think of each other that way. If anything, law students tend to look at things more "romantically" than law firms.

So no, I don't feel guilty or bad about mispronouncing their name. Not when we all know the biglaw business model.


Just out of curiosity, how did you mispronounce Weil? It's a four-letter, one-syllable word lol. Only thing I can think of is maybe you said it like "wheel" but that would make no sense based on the spelling.


I said "wheel" instead of "while." That's how it reads to me.

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Me: "I actually transferred to my undergrad."

Interviewer/partner: [laughing under his breath]

Me: [Continues to genuinely wax poetic for 5 minutes about how much I loved my undergrad experience and that transferring was the right decision for my circumstance.]

Interviewer: ". . . And how did that work out for you?"

Me: "Um . . . Very well?"

Huh? This seems like it would be very funny if I understood it.

I have an ambiguous firm name and I do hold it against interviewees when they mispronounce it. They can overcome it, but it is a small strike. If you don't have the common sense and forethought to recognize that it is ambiguous and look it up, it makes me uneasy. A junior associate who doesn't think things through will be bad news for me.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.