Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rpupkin

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby rpupkin » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:23 am

Callback at a V35 firm. I'm waiting in the lobby for someone to bring me up to the office. All of a sudden, I let out a sneeze. A man walking by says "bless you." Later, I learned that the man was the managing partner! I was horrified.

Got an offer.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:26 am

Callback at a V20 firm. I'm interviewing with a partner, and he asks me where I'm from. I told him that I'm from New York City. 10 minutes later, he reveals that he was raised in Boston!

Got an offer.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:29 am

Callback at a V75 firm. I had two cups of coffee before the interviews. After the third interview, I really had to pee. As an associate walked me to the office where the fourth interview was held, I asked if she would mind if I used the bathroom. She said "sure," showed me where the bathroom was, and then waited for almost a full minute while I used the bathroom!

Got an offer.

daedalus2309

Postby daedalus2309 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:51 am

rpupkin wrote: All of a sudden, I let out a sneeze.

How do you get past this nightmare scenario? Should I just apologuze and walk out before I waste anyone's time?

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:07 am

Lol pupkin.

tyrant_flycatcher

Postby tyrant_flycatcher » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:53 am

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:21 pm

Group interview yesterday at a DA's office for a DDA position. In the middle of answering a brady hypo a silent but deadly smell wafts through the room. The smell was so bad my nose-hairs were curling.

No one batted an eye.

fauxpsych

Postby fauxpsych » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Group interview yesterday at a DA's office for a DDA position. In the middle of answering a brady hypo a silent but deadly smell wafts through the room. The smell was so bad my nose-hairs were curling.

No one batted an eye.

But did you disclose???

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:10 pm

fauxpsych wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Group interview yesterday at a DA's office for a DDA position. In the middle of answering a brady hypo a silent but deadly smell wafts through the room. The smell was so bad my nose-hairs were curling.

No one batted an eye.

But did you disclose???

Oh hell no! I continued on through the always disclose thought process. I did not, however, disclose I had extra bean chili for breakfast. That wouldn't quite be exculpatory evidence they needed to know. The interview continued for another 45 minutes so thankfully the smell had enough time to disperse so it wasn't specifically attached to me.

Pity them though. Closed interior conference room with marginal circulation.

August Wilson

Postby August Wilson » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Called Pillsbury "Pissbury" in my screeners. Twice.

Ding, obvi.

This is great

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:05 pm

Talked about lemurs for about five minutes without any interjection by either screener. This was followed by 5 seconds of silence. No CB. Worst part is that Lemurs are my go to move...

dylicious

Postby dylicious » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:21 pm

Forgot to wear a belt to a callback. Tried to keep my jacket buttoned, but I could feel their stares. No offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:35 pm

my interviewer held a door for me and told me to go to the right. I turned to the left and took two steps before he said your other right. I was embarrassed and started babbling about not really knowing my left and right which is true but not usually something I admit on interviews

Still waiting
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EncyclopediaOrange

Postby EncyclopediaOrange » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Talked about lemurs for about five minutes without any interjection by either screener. This was followed by 5 seconds of silence. No CB. Worst part is that Lemurs are my go to move...

If it makes you feel better, I would thoroughly enjoy a five-minute conversation on lemurs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:37 pm

"So, can you tell me about what your summer project was about?"

"Yeah--so it was about [x, y, z]."

"Wow. Uh, are you sure you're allowed to say any of that? I'm pretty sure that would be confidential."

"I think it's okay. It's my writing sample, so I think they okayed my talking about it."

"You haven't taken Professional Responsibility yet. These types of things are definitely not okay to describe. I definitely hope our 1L summers don't think it is acceptable to discuss firm work just because we allowed them to use it as a writing sample."

"Oh . . . well, so, yeah, I enjoyed my summer."

clshopeful

Postby clshopeful » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:my interviewer held a door for me and told me to go to the right. I turned to the left and took two steps before he said your other right. I was embarrassed and started babbling about not really knowing my left and right which is true but not usually something I admit on interviews

Still waiting

not a chance ur in law school and dont know ur right/left. Flame

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:my interviewer held a door for me and told me to go to the right. I turned to the left and took two steps before he said your other right. I was embarrassed and started babbling about not really knowing my left and right which is true but not usually something I admit on interviews

Still waiting

not a chance ur in law school and dont know ur right/left. Flame

Wrong. In fact, I would go so far as to say that left/right spatial confusion is positively correlated with law school grades. Not flame.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:00 am

Partner: schools (law) ranked at the top are ranked at the top because they have been around the longest.

Me: (Thinking about undergrad like H, which was founded in the 1900s) yea I know like a hundred years.

Partner: Well not hundreds of years....

Me: .....

Partner: ....

(Missed the chance to explain I meant undergrad.

Me: ......

What the f.supp?

Postby What the f.supp? » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:"So, can you tell me about what your summer project was about?"

"Yeah--so it was about [x, y, z]."

"Wow. Uh, are you sure you're allowed to say any of that? I'm pretty sure that would be confidential."

"I think it's okay. It's my writing sample, so I think they okayed my talking about it."

"You haven't taken Professional Responsibility yet. These types of things are definitely not okay to describe. I definitely hope our 1L summers don't think it is acceptable to discuss firm work just because we allowed them to use it as a writing sample."

"Oh . . . well, so, yeah, I enjoyed my summer."

Perhaps reading fail but I don't understand. How can something they permit you to use as a writing sample be too confidential to later talk about? What if you submit it as part of job application (its chief purpose) and the firm asks you questions about it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:Kind of absurd moment from the perspective of an interviewer happened recently. I was about to enter an office to interview a candidate when I saw he was on the phone. He did that thing where he raised one finger and proceeded to keep talking. I wandered off for a bit, and when I got back, he was gone. Turns out he'd received an offer from another firm and had accepted it on the spot and left.

You dodged a bullet, anyone who does the raised one finger thing doesn't deserve to live, much less work.

TransferHopeful17

Postby TransferHopeful17 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:55 am

If you were talking about a case/issue that was the subject of your writing sample and only getting as descriptive as the sample, I don't see the issue.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:38 am

Was chatting with a recruiter, told her that I was going to rely on the textbooks on reserve and not buy a single textbook.

No CB.

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:17 am

What happened to this thread?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Partner: schools (law) ranked at the top are ranked at the top because they have been around the longest.

Me: (Thinking about undergrad like H, which was founded in the 1900s) yea I know like a hundred years.

I'm confused, H = Harvard? HLS was founded in 1817, so that would quite literally be "hundreds of years." YLS was 1824 and SLS was 1893. Know-it-all partners...

t-14orbust

Postby t-14orbust » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Partner: schools (law) ranked at the top are ranked at the top because they have been around the longest.

I'm confused, H = Harvard? HLS was founded in 1817, so that would quite literally be "hundreds of years." YLS was 1824 and SLS was 1893. Know-it-all partners...

It quite literally is not..yet

Return to “Legal Employment”