Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SplitMyPants

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:34 pm

At a CB lunch sitting at a booth. I'm on one side, and two associates are on the other. One associate gets some type of bisque for a starter. He decides to pick up the bowl and sip from the edge. Not sure if it was too hot or if it went down the wrong pipe, but he immediately proceeds to cough into the bowl of bisque, spraying it across the table and onto me. This was last year and I still occasionally manage to find a small speck of cream colored bisque on my brief case here and there. (My brief case was sitting on the bench next to me, bc again, I inexplicably scheduled an out-and-back...)

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:41 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:At a CB lunch sitting at a booth. I'm on one side, and two associates are on the other. One associate gets some type of bisque for a starter. He decides to pick up the bowl and sip from the edge. Not sure if it was too hot or if it went down the wrong pipe, but he immediately proceeds to cough into the bowl of bisque, spraying it across the table and onto me. This was last year and I still occasionally manage to find a small speck of cream colored bisque on my brief case here and there. (My brief case was sitting on the bench next to me, bc again, I inexplicably scheduled an out-and-back...)

Offer?

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:50 pm

Yeah

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:21 pm

I have a reference to motorcycles on my resume.

Interviewer: So what kind of bikes are you into?
Me: Well, I'm not really a Harley guy, I like XYZ.
Interviewer: Well, you picked the wrong office *Points at corner full of Harley memorabilia directly behind my head*

Still got an offer 8) :D

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a reference to motorcycles on my resume.

Interviewer: Well, you picked the wrong office *Points at corner full of Harley memorabilia directly behind my head*

It's shocking you managed to still get an offer despite sharing an interest with the interviewer. I'm glad you survived that bad interview moment!

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:58 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have a reference to motorcycles on my resume.

It's shocking you managed to still get an offer despite sharing an interest with the interviewer. I'm glad you survived that bad interview moment!

loool

LaLiLuLeLo

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:16 pm

I had "basketball" on my interests section. During one interview, the attorney asked about this and I professed I was a Lakers fan. He then narrowed his eyes and said, "Look behind you." His entire wall was covered in Celtics gear. I couldn't believe it!

Amazingly, still got an offer! :lol: :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:10 am

Not a bad interview moment, but had a first year associate ask about my brief I used as my writing sample for 20 minutes that I hadn't read in 4 months. Wanted to know the most interesting case I researched...I made one up on the spot.

Genius

Postby Genius » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:49 am

2L OCI. Interviewed with the most stereotypical Orange County surfing douchebag who was as bad as he looked. It was my first interview. I sit down, and immediately realize his facial expression filled with disdain. He goes on for about 2 minutes talking about how successful his firm is, then asks me if i have any questions.i ask about 2 and the interview ends in about 5 minutes. No CB.

3L OCI the same guy interviews. FML. He asks "have we met before? Your resume looks familiar." I knew this wasnt going to work out so I tell him, "Yeah last year you interviewed me, but before we could you had to take care of some business and left early." He then says sorry that happened. Then proceeds to talk about how successful his firm is for about 2 minutes and this time ends it by saying, "Good luck to you."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:42 am

Interview with a DC firm that came to our non DC OCI.

"So why do you want to work in DC."
"Well I have a lot of family in DC and have visited a number of times and loved it. Also I'm interested in regulatory work, Antitrust work, and white collar work, which is abundant in DC."
"Great. So we are a Mass Torts firm ..."

No CB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:51 am

Not necessarily a bad interview moment, but just a horrible moment in general: got an offer, then 5 mins later a partner calls me saying they had the wrong person.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:12 am

On my interests section I had a few things along the lines of homebrewing, wine making, martial arts, patriots (and a few other things). The interviewer looked at my resume and asked "You have some interesting activities here, how will they help you as a lawyer?" Since that section is usually there to, you know, make a personal connection I was dumbfounded for a good ten seconds while I try to come up with something of an answer. There is nothing about homebrewing that will help me as a lawyer (aside from saving money from an inevitable habit) but I think I rattled something off about close attention to detail.

This was also my number one firm. No CB.

Winter is Coming

Postby Winter is Coming » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not necessarily a bad interview moment, but just a horrible moment in general: got an offer, then 5 mins later a partner calls me saying they had the wrong person.

Shit sorry, how did this turn out?

Joscellin

Postby Joscellin » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not necessarily a bad interview moment, but just a horrible moment in general: got an offer, then 5 mins later a partner calls me saying they had the wrong person.

Yikes :(

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:On my interests section I had a few things along the lines of homebrewing, wine making, martial arts, patriots (and a few other things). The interviewer looked at my resume and asked "You have some interesting activities here, how will they help you as a lawyer?" Since that section is usually there to, you know, make a personal connection I was dumbfounded for a good ten seconds while I try to come up with something of an answer. There is nothing about homebrewing that will help me as a lawyer (aside from saving money from an inevitable habit) but I think I rattled something off about close attention to detail.

"patriots" uncapitalized threw me there for a moment - I thought at first you were admitting to being some kind of militia/vigilante in your interests. (I need to wake up!)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:14 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:On my interests section I had a few things along the lines of homebrewing, wine making, martial arts, patriots (and a few other things). The interviewer looked at my resume and asked "You have some interesting activities here, how will they help you as a lawyer?" Since that section is usually there to, you know, make a personal connection I was dumbfounded for a good ten seconds while I try to come up with something of an answer. There is nothing about homebrewing that will help me as a lawyer (aside from saving money from an inevitable habit) but I think I rattled something off about close attention to detail.

"patriots" uncapitalized threw me there for a moment - I thought at first you were admitting to being some kind of militia/vigilante in your interests. (I need to wake up!)

I have "causes of state failure" in my interests (I studied things like insurgency, civil war, military coup in undergrad). I've gotten asked about it a lot and one interviewer said he first read it as "causing state failure"

NoBladesNoBows

Postby NoBladesNoBows » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I have "causes of state failure" in my interests (I studied things like insurgency, civil war, military coup in undergrad). I've gotten asked about it a lot and one interviewer said he first read it as "causing state failure"

lol

lawman84

Postby lawman84 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:54 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I would have rejected him/her just for being a Patriots fan. :lol:

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:03 pm

lawman84 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Eh, who'd want to work for sore losers anyway? ( :lol: )

omar1

Postby omar1 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:14 pm

Not really a bad interview moment, but a while ago, after interviewing with a mid size firm, received a ding through voicemail, email and snail mail- all three from the same firm :lol:

lawman84

Postby lawman84 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:21 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Eh, who'd want to work for sore losers anyway? ( :lol: )

People with working cell phones. :wink:

barkschool

Postby barkschool » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:19 am

lawman84 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Op should have made a belicheck/ cheating/ rules joke

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:53 am

Called Pillsbury "Pissbury" in my screeners. Twice.

Ding, obvi.

Genius

Postby Genius » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:41 pm

2L OCI. 3 person panel interviewer vs me. They do insurance defense exclusively and I gave no fucks. They ask if insurance litigation is something I would be interested in doing.

Of course not but I say, "Yea."

Didnt elaborate. Silence.

I dont remember the rest but that guy's "what the shit" face I still remember and lol.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:19 pm

Was told a story by my interviewer - candidate was so nervous during CB that he started shaking and actually burst a blood vessel in his nose and blood started running down onto his (white) shirt.

Return to “Legal Employment”