Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17896
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby El Pollito » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:44 am

lol jfc

try not to schedule stuff on the same day as flying in general, unless it's before a flight

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:48 pm

Headed into a screener with the most prestigious firm at my regional (t-25) school's OCI. Partner 1 seems like a pretty chill older guy. Partner 2 is a stereotype -- maybe early 40's, a brown mop of hair, a haggard face with a reddish tint, fidgety.

The old guy talks about the firm for maybe two minutes, then the young guy cuts him off and goes on some tangent about his practice area and his career. Mercifully, he finally shuts up. It's my turn to ask questions.

"I'm interested in your [practice area]. Specifically, [some work they've done for their biggest client]."

Partner 2's timer finally goes off. He explodes, "WE DON'T REPRESENT [biggest client who apparently JUST left them]. DID YOU KNOW THAT WE ARE THE BIGGEST LAWFIRM IN [MARKET]? WE DON'T NEED [CLIENT]! WE DON'T NEED THEM! WE DO OTHER WORK! WE HAVE [#] ATTORNEYS! WE'VE BEEN THE BEST FIRM HERE FOR 100 YEARS! WE DO A HELL OF A LOT MORE THAN JUST WORK FOR ONE CLIENT!"

I'm tempted to walk out, but out of respect to my CSO and out of my own curiosity, I stay and decide to ask the biggest troll question I can muster off the cuff. "I must have been mistaken that you represent them. What's this other work that you do? -- I don't believe I'm familiar with it."

Pretty sure the dude is about to go postal when old partner quickly intervenes, seemingly aware of my instigation and recognizing that this thing is going down the shitter in a hurry. He politely answers the question about other practice groups, then wraps up the screener about halfway through the allotted time. Middle-aged dude didn't say anything else after his blow-up, just sat there steaming for the final 3-4 minutes.

(No CB.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:31 pm

CB Lunch, Sushi place, V5 NY. Went with two associates - proceeded to knock the wasabi onto my shirt & then in my haste to clean it up spill my water glass onto one of the associates.

.... Day later, got the offer. Answered the partner calling with "wait... really?".

TLDR: I'm socially inept but stumbled into an offer. Yay!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:42 pm

Accidentally said "jerking off" during a callback interview a few years ago.

User avatar
Hikikomorist
Posts: 3106
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Hikikomorist » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Accidentally said "jerking off" during a callback interview a few years ago.

Context?

User avatar
SplitMyPants
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby SplitMyPants » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:09 pm

El Pollito wrote:lol jfc

try not to schedule stuff on the same day as flying in general, unless it's before a flight


I scheduled way too many out-and-backs last year before I learned to schedule a CB but wait to actually book flights until you have a fuller picture of the rest of your week... Learn from my mistakes, 2Ls.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:49 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Accidentally said "jerking off" during a callback interview a few years ago.

Context?

Was in a panel interview with 4 or 5 attorneys, they asked me why I was able to succeed in law school. I took a few years after undergrad before law school, and was comparing myself to K-JDs. I meant to say something like, "while other students were still treating it like undergrad and joking around, I was focused, yadda yadda yadda." Instead of "joking around", I accidentally said jerking off. The one female attorney on the panel didn't seem to appreciate it.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby rpupkin » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Accidentally said "jerking off" during a callback interview a few years ago.

Context?

Was in a panel interview with 4 or 5 attorneys, they asked me why I was able to succeed in law school. I took a few years after undergrad before law school, and was comparing myself to K-JDs. I meant to say something like, "while other students were still treating it like undergrad and joking around, I was focused, yadda yadda yadda." Instead of "joking around", I accidentally said jerking off. The one female attorney on the panel didn't seem to appreciate it.

For what it's worth, it wouldn't have been much better if you had said "joking around." It's generally not a good idea to promote oneself by pointing out the weaknesses of others.

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17896
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby El Pollito » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:13 pm

^ "jerking off" is hardly the problem there

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:40 pm

El Pollito wrote:^ "jerking off" is hardly the problem there


It rarely is.

Anyway, during one callback I had, the last interviewer of my day was clearly having some kind of deep personal issues. He kept staring out his window and trailing off, saying things like, "I just don't know..." and "Sometimes things just get to you..." I was vamping like crazy, trying to fill the space, and just got increasingly flustered. It's been a couple weeks and I haven't heard back. On one hand, I'd be pissed if that one interview sank things; on the other hand, maybe I dodged a bullet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:54 pm

Last interview of OCI, in the last time slot on the last day. Interviewer is probably as tired as I am. I spent a solid 5 minutes rambling about how I had to miss the previous night's reception because my spouse was working late and I needed to take care of the dog, because we didn't want it to pee in the house. the words "furbaby" and "dog parent" were used. CB.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby rpupkin » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Last interview of OCI, in the last time slot on the last day. Interviewer is probably as tired as I am. I spent a solid 5 minutes rambling about how I had to miss the previous night's reception because my spouse was working late and I needed to take care of the dog, because we didn't want it to pee in the house. the words "furbaby" and "dog parent" were used. CB.

You should post this in a thread about "good interview moments." Seriously, this is the kind of conversation you want to have during an interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:38 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:
El Pollito wrote:lol jfc

try not to schedule stuff on the same day as flying in general, unless it's before a flight


I scheduled way too many out-and-backs last year before I learned to schedule a CB but wait to actually book flights until you have a fuller picture of the rest of your week... Learn from my mistakes, 2Ls.


I didn't do out and backs but I still second this advice. I had two weeks last fall of: flying to CB city on Sunday, CB and flying back on Monday, flying to CB city Tuesday, CB and flying back Wednesday, flying to CB city Thursday, CB and flying back Friday. Wish I would have handled it better logistically.

GoneSouth
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:00 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby GoneSouth » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SplitMyPants wrote:
El Pollito wrote:lol jfc

try not to schedule stuff on the same day as flying in general, unless it's before a flight


I scheduled way too many out-and-backs last year before I learned to schedule a CB but wait to actually book flights until you have a fuller picture of the rest of your week... Learn from my mistakes, 2Ls.


I didn't do out and backs but I still second this advice. I had two weeks last fall of: flying to CB city on Sunday, CB and flying back on Monday, flying to CB city Tuesday, CB and flying back Wednesday, flying to CB city Thursday, CB and flying back Friday. Wish I would have handled it better logistically.


Wait why? Even though you screwed up booking travel in the first place, why didn't you just call the firms afterwards and tell them to cancel some of the flights. At least they could have gotten something back out of them

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:55 am

Got the Asian glow at the firm reception the day before the screening interview smh

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:59 am

GoneSouth wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I didn't do out and backs but I still second this advice. I had two weeks last fall of: flying to CB city on Sunday, CB and flying back on Monday, flying to CB city Tuesday, CB and flying back Wednesday, flying to CB city Thursday, CB and flying back Friday. Wish I would have handled it better logistically.


Wait why? Even though you screwed up booking travel in the first place, why didn't you just call the firms afterwards and tell them to cancel some of the flights. At least they could have gotten something back out of them


I initially thought it was a good idea because I could go to some classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. In hindsight... LOL at class in Aug/Sept of 2L. I should have just flown up Sunday and stayed in the city all week when I had three interviews M-W-F, even with dead days there with no interviewing.

I think I also had trepidation about asking the firms to accommodate me because I believed the standard to be one hotel night per interview. Three interviews means Sunday, Monday, Tuesday night... but I would also need Wednesday and Thursday. Again in hindsight, the firms obviously would have accommodated two additional hotel nights in exchange for saving two round trip flights, but as a neurotic interviewing 2L, I didn't want to make any waves. I was offered one hotel night plus one round trip per interview, so I took that deal and made it work.

On the bright side though I quickly racked up a bunch of frequent flier miles on a major carrier and they bumped me to their top status level for the first six months of 2016. But now I am back to living like a peasant in coach.

RaceJudicata
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:06 am

...and back to the bad interview stories. Have to be some good ones from this OCI cycle... Anyone spring for the 5 course meal this go-round?

User avatar
barkschool
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:05 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby barkschool » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:13 am

I want to hear about the inability for 2Ls to ask if associates would like any bread

Winter is Coming
Posts: 301
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:51 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Winter is Coming » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got the Asian glow at the firm reception the day before the screening interview smh


We call this the "Irish tan" in my neck of the woods. #yournenotalone

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:59 am

OCI screener: Managing partner asks why I chose my 1L summer internship so I tell him that my professor worked on a particular case which he discussed in class and got me interested in this particular area of law. Partner then asks what side my professor worked on and I tell him prosecution. He then starts freaking out a little bit and not quite yells "is your professor ashamed of himself? X people lost their jobs because of that case!"
No callback

stoopkid13
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:31 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby stoopkid13 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:01 am

Winter is Coming wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got the Asian glow at the firm reception the day before the screening interview smh


We call this the "Irish tan" in my neck of the woods. #yournenotalone


Take some pepcid 20 min beforehand.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:09 am

First screener, happens to be with my first choice firm. Hand the interviewer my resume and do the usual "the only updates are journal and [other somewhat minor change]"

She says "oh hold on let me write [other change] down." I'm thinking WHY write it down it's right there on the page that I just handed you.

But of course later, when I checked the resumes that I had printed out, the journal was there, but the other update wasn't. Turns out I had updated it, printed a bunch and forgotten to save before closing. So when I opened the file and saw journal I assumed it was the fully updated version and just printed more.

No CB.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:First screener, happens to be with my first choice firm. Hand the interviewer my resume and do the usual "the only updates are journal and [other somewhat minor change]"

She says "oh hold on let me write [other change] down." I'm thinking WHY write it down it's right there on the page that I just handed you.

But of course later, when I checked the resumes that I had printed out, the journal was there, but the other update wasn't. Turns out I had updated it, printed a bunch and forgotten to save before closing. So when I opened the file and saw journal I assumed it was the fully updated version and just printed more.

No CB.

Had a similar issue with probably half of my interviews. Not sure if I should reach out to recruiting with the correct copy.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273311
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:26 am

Strictly speaking this did not happen during an OCI or callback; it happened during the "call" itself. I forgot about the time difference between the east and the west coast, assumed no firm will extend a cb at that time, and forgot to check where the call was from because I was right on the phone and picked it up really quickly...literally screamed excitedly when my interviewer said "this is xx from [my dream firm]."
Now I am reading the career office's advice: "make sure you are ready to speak in a professional way, in a quiet place, and are not caught off-guard."
:oops:

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17896
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby El Pollito » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:Strictly speaking this did not happen during an OCI or callback; it happened during the "call" itself. I forgot about the time difference between the east and the west coast, assumed no firm will extend a cb at that time, and forgot to check where the call was from because I was right on the phone and picked it up really quickly...literally screamed excitedly when my interviewer said "this is xx from [my dream firm]."
Now I am reading the career office's advice: "make sure you are ready to speak in a professional way, in a quiet place, and are not caught off-guard."
:oops:

lol if the person who called you isn't a jerk this is probably a good thing




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.