Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
UnamSanctam
Posts: 7167
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:17 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby UnamSanctam » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:51 am

DELG wrote:IDK I think the lunch story about weirdly eating too much food while everyone talks over your head like you're a toddler is pretty bad


Yeah I think it's awkward.

User avatar
El Pollito
party fowl
Posts: 17890
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby El Pollito » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:11 am

it's awkward and he should get no offered for it but why was it so fucking long

User avatar
Tanicius
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Tanicius » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:16 am

El Pollito wrote:it's awkward and he should get no offered for it but why was it so fucking long


Well we needed to know what the weather was because that's why they went out to get country food.

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1394
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:56 am

grand inquisitor wrote:eating ridiculous amounts of food as an SA is what you are supposed to do. its like the partners whose metabolisms have gone to shit live vicariously through it. i cherished those awkward moments when the partner forced me to order and eat dessert alone while he/she watched and drank decaf.


I ate a shit ton of Ruebens during my SA, food memories are sorta great.

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby rpupkin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:37 am

In retrospect, I was too harsh on that post. It's full of 180 lines, such as:

They hire 1L SA's because they only offer about one SA every 7 years, on average.

I eat the beautiful tomatoes, all of them.

Hell, I'm almost full. I don't even care about acting smart or sneaking in a response to a partner's long conversation about the enforceability of a contract with multiple contingent material terms including a commodity price that changed in a way not contemplated by the parties at formation.

JusticeJackson
Posts: 454
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:26 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby JusticeJackson » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:35 pm

.
Last edited by JusticeJackson on Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DELG
Posts: 2936
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 7:15 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby DELG » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:41 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:The dude ordered the family meal, didn't realize it, didn't offer to share, and ate it all. I don't care that he didn't join the conversation about law -- in general 1L summers don't have much to add in that department -- I'm honestly amazed that he was able to eat that much food. He probably won't get an offer, but I'd bet $100 people at the firm are talking about this lunch in 5 years.

Yep

User avatar
baal hadad
Posts: 3168
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby baal hadad » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:42 pm

I wouldn't say it's a horror story but I found just reading that to be awkward

User avatar
rpupkin
Posts: 3864
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby rpupkin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:10 pm

JusticeJackson wrote:The dude ordered the family meal, didn't realize it, didn't offer to share, and ate it all.

He didn't offer to share "because math." Yeah, there's no way he's copping that once-every-seven-years offer after that gaffe.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273234
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:40 am

Change of pace for this thread so a little bit of setup.

Prosecutor interviews nearly always have a hypothetical of what would you do/what's your ethical obligation. They constantly adjust the facts as it goes and generally challenge you on everything you say in the interview and try to trip you up or paint you in a corner. They want to see you improvise an argument and defend a point.
2nd Round Panel interview for a major metro DA's office (My top choice).
So I'm 20 minutes into the hypothetical that has gone far beyond the original fact pattern and procedural posture, and I think I'm nailing it with my Brady obligations.

LEFT: "Well, guess what? The judge overrules your objection because she's pissed you didn't disclose the existence of a Confidential Informant before the hearing and the Officer has to say the C.I.'s name in open court."
ME: Uh--
MIDDLE: "Someone in the courtroom has just sent a text out and C.I. Chunky is dead."
LEFT: "Is your answer the same NOW?"
ME (trying to gracefully backtrack): "Well I can see now there may be strategic reasons to disclose the existence of a C.I. that depart from one's obligations. I'll chalk this one up to my lack of experience working with C.I.'s, which given Chunky's demise, is probably a good thing for them."
{awkward, polite chuckles}

Later in the interview

RIGHT: "So that's pretty much everything, do you have any questions for us?"
ME: "How long until I get to work with C.I.s?"
{silence}
ME: "OK. Sounds good. I look forward to hearing back from your office."

Still waiting...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273234
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:23 pm

This happened a few months ago...but at the end of my interview with a V20 firm, I went to the standard lunch with 2 associates. One of them made a 3/5 compromise joke out of nowhere in the middle of conversation. I shook my head with a grin and said "you're horrible"...but like what can I do? Can't act super offended...can't laugh. It was an automatic no-offer moment. Wouldn't have gotten one no matter what my reaction. Didn't get one.


Going to a different V20 firm so its ok.

User avatar
Old Gregg
Posts: 5413
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:This happened a few months ago...but at the end of my interview with a V20 firm, I went to the standard lunch with 2 associates. One of them made a 3/5 compromise joke out of nowhere in the middle of conversation. I shook my head with a grin and said "you're horrible"...but like what can I do? Can't act super offended...can't laugh. It was an automatic no-offer moment. Wouldn't have gotten one no matter what my reaction. Didn't get one.


Going to a different V20 firm so its ok.



you're an idiot. thank you for the useless vault ranks and the useless fucking story thats not that bad

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby fats provolone » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:15 am

that post was physically painful to read

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7305
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:24 am

Image

User avatar
baal hadad
Posts: 3168
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby baal hadad » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:06 am

Danger Zone wrote:Image

This image macro gave me cancer

Anonymous User
Posts: 273234
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Change of pace for this thread so a little bit of setup.

Prosecutor interviews nearly always have a hypothetical of what would you do/what's your ethical obligation. They constantly adjust the facts as it goes and generally challenge you on everything you say in the interview and try to trip you up or paint you in a corner. They want to see you improvise an argument and defend a point.
2nd Round Panel interview for a major metro DA's office (My top choice).
So I'm 20 minutes into the hypothetical that has gone far beyond the original fact pattern and procedural posture, and I think I'm nailing it with my Brady obligations.

LEFT: "Well, guess what? The judge overrules your objection because she's pissed you didn't disclose the existence of a Confidential Informant before the hearing and the Officer has to say the C.I.'s name in open court."
ME: Uh--
MIDDLE: "Someone in the courtroom has just sent a text out and C.I. Chunky is dead."
LEFT: "Is your answer the same NOW?"
ME (trying to gracefully backtrack): "Well I can see now there may be strategic reasons to disclose the existence of a C.I. that depart from one's obligations. I'll chalk this one up to my lack of experience working with C.I.'s, which given Chunky's demise, is probably a good thing for them."
{awkward, polite chuckles}

Later in the interview

RIGHT: "So that's pretty much everything, do you have any questions for us?"
ME: "How long until I get to work with C.I.s?"
{silence}
ME: "OK. Sounds good. I look forward to hearing back from your office."

Still waiting...

:lol:

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7305
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:11 am

baal hadad wrote:This image macro gave me cancer

Image

RaceJudicata
Posts: 708
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:This happened a few months ago...but at the end of my interview with a V20 firm, I went to the standard lunch with 2 associates. One of them made a 3/5 compromise joke out of nowhere in the middle of conversation. I shook my head with a grin and said "you're horrible"...but like what can I do? Can't act super offended...can't laugh. It was an automatic no-offer moment. Wouldn't have gotten one no matter what my reaction. Didn't get one.


Going to a different V20 firm so its ok.



If it was a V5 would your reaction have been different?!

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:This happened a few months ago...but at the end of my interview with a V20 firm, I went to the standard lunch with 2 associates. One of them made a 3/5 compromise joke out of nowhere in the middle of conversation. I shook my head with a grin and said "you're horrible"...but like what can I do? Can't act super offended...can't laugh. It was an automatic no-offer moment. Wouldn't have gotten one no matter what my reaction. Didn't get one.


Going to a different V20 firm so its ok.


Yeah, how unfortunate that there's no middle ground between "HAHAHAHA BLACKS AM I RIGHT" and "YOUR COMMENT HAS TRIGGERED ME, THIS IS NO LONGER A SAFE SPACE, SOUND THE PRIVILEGE ALARM" that, you know, non-aspies would've gone for.

User avatar
Danger Zone
Posts: 7305
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:36 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:32 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This happened a few months ago...but at the end of my interview with a V20 firm, I went to the standard lunch with 2 associates. One of them made a 3/5 compromise joke out of nowhere in the middle of conversation. I shook my head with a grin and said "you're horrible"...but like what can I do? Can't act super offended...can't laugh. It was an automatic no-offer moment. Wouldn't have gotten one no matter what my reaction. Didn't get one.


Going to a different V20 firm so its ok.


Yeah, how unfortunate that there's no middle ground between "HAHAHAHA BLACKS AM I RIGHT" and "YOUR COMMENT HAS TRIGGERED ME, THIS IS NO LONGER A SAFE SPACE, SOUND THE PRIVILEGE ALARM" that, you know, non-aspies would've gone for.

All he said was "you're horrible." I imagine he said it with a laugh and smile, not like "OMG YOU'RE HORRIBLE AND I'M TRIGGERED." Doesn't seem that bad at all.

AReasonableMan
Posts: 1504
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby AReasonableMan » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:55 am

lawman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can't decide if this was bad:

Have pittsburgh sports fan on resume. AM fan, but it was early monday and hadn't watched the game on sunday or read about it. Interviewer says "how about rothelesburger" who had just had season ending injury. I dislike the player, since he's a rapist, and gave sort of a dissapointed "yeah...." and we moved on to have a lovely interview otherewise.

This is an honors program so I've had plenty of time to stew on this. Bad?


So I take it you aren't a Steelers fan?

Anonymous User wrote:If all of your SA is a job interview, as is the common wisdom, then this lunch during my 1L SA should count. General background: It's a small but well-respected firm where I'd really like to get a job. The partners are laid-back but very intelligent and sophisticated, as well as at least somewhat judgmental. They're looking for a personality fit and similar traits. They hire 1L SA's because they only offer about one SA every 7 years, on average. My law school OCI director told me it's the best job that comes to campus in terms of pay vs. hours worked. The point? I want this job. Interview, check, callback, done, two weeks of summer OCI go great, and then...today.

It's a June day with perfect weather, and the partners are particularly talkative. Owing to that and sheer caprice and coincidence with various schedules, we head to lunch with a large group for us: three partners, two senior associates, and me. We're in the firm lobby, shooting the shit about where to go to lunch, and an "important" call comes for someone, then another, and then everyone (still in good spirits) decides we all just need to leave because we're 20 minutes late to lunch and fucking hungry. We hop in a partner's Yukon and hightail it to the outskirts of town, just for the hell of it, where we go to what is basically a truck stop / diner that is known to have great comfort food. It's packed, like 200 people in there. We find a table, and on the way I notice a chalkboard with SPECIAL at the top and several listings, too many to read as we quickly walk by. I do, however, notice at the very bottom there is listed: 2-pc Walleye with sides - $x.xx.

Now, I've always been a believer that you should order the special when you're out to lunch in this type of situation. I mean, it's the special, what could go wrong? It's all ready, it won't take long, they won't screw it up, and you won't stand out for ordering something strange. Besides, walleye sounded great. What a perfect day. Everyone in a great mood, going to this cool greasy spoon off the beaten path, laughing about it, and I ordered the special.

Well, shit. You know where this is heading.

The first problem is when the waitress nearly immediately brings the bread. Not bread for the table, but bread in a basket for one and handed directly to me. Despite the small basket, it's way too much bread. Like four hot wheat rolls with butter. Well, I'm cutting into the bread because goddamnit I'm going to eat whatever I get because IT'S THE SPECIAL, and all the lawyers are talking about real lawyer stuff and I'm trying to get in a word to offer this delicious hot pile of starch to other people. Then I realize that I don't have enough bread for everyone to get one, so this could get really awkward. So I'm eating bread. And the lawyers are talking. And looking at me. And talking. And I'm not offering anyone bread because they're talking and it's awkward and because math. But it's pretty good. And they're still looking at me because it's at least 45 minutes after everyone normally eats lunch and people are hungry.

Then comes a lengthy wait during which a few folks mention how busy it is and that they are hungry and could use some food. Alas, here comes the salad! Uh, turns out it's not for everyone. It's actually not for anyone else but me. Great, I love salad for lunch. So 90 seconds later the conversation between the real lawyers hits that awkward waiting-for-food lull when everyone has a conversation bubble above their heads that reads "I enjoyed that conversation, I guess, but I really want my french dip," and the managing partner breaks the silence by loudly asking me, with a special artificial, trochaic joviality reserved for cynical career litigators, "HOW'S the SAL-ad?" And I'm thinking "IT'S FUCKING DELICIOUS AND YOU WOULD LOVE IT" but I really just kind of meekly shrug and mutter, "Yeah, it's, uh, yeah, I think it's got homemade ranch." Silence. "And the tomatoes are ... beautiful." *poke at a cherry tomato* *fucking poke, poke, roll, look around* *shitthey'restilllookingatme, poke, it rolllllls away, STAB, roll, pick that bitch up with fingers, om nom*

I eat the beautiful tomatoes, all of them. And the ranch and romaine and whatever. The next ten minutes are awesome for me. Hell, I'm almost full. I don't even care about acting smart or sneaking in a response to a partner's long conversation about the enforceability of a contract with multiple contingent material terms including a commodity price that changed in a way not contemplated by the parties at formation. My eyes are open but my brain is saying, "Nap time, bitch."

Then the walleye comes. Two huge fillets with homemade creamy coleslaw on a 14" plate that dwarfs every other meal at the table. It's delicious. I eat it all. Don't get me wrong: I don't want to. I'm utterly stuffed after eating 52% of it, but I ordered this goddamned thing and I'm not going to be ungrateful on the firm's dime.

Moral of the story: Ordering the special for lunch at a greasy spoon is a good idea. Not noticing that you personally, individually ordered something under the "Family Dinner Special" heading at one of the most important lunches of your life is not such a good idea.


None of this sounds bad.

They're a very good writer. It is an entertaining read despite the fact that nothing interesting happens.

User avatar
Monochromatic Oeuvre
Posts: 1929
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:15 pm

Danger Zone wrote:All he said was "you're horrible." I imagine he said it with a laugh and smile, not like "OMG YOU'RE HORRIBLE AND I'M TRIGGERED." Doesn't seem that bad at all.


I don't think I would've said anything, but yeah, not that awful a response if that's really what it was. Definitely wouldn't have been the reason he didn't get an offer, so I don't know why he's saying it absolutely was.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273234
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:22 pm

Part of me thinks they probably knew he was going to get rejected anyway. I had callbacks where the last interviewer brought up inappropriate subjects. Even the people they send to lunch seem to be impacted by how the prior interviews went. At some places I got rejected from, I had utter weirdos. At others, the opposite. When I say weirdos, I refer to individuals who are objectively weirdos so it's not a matter of fit.

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1394
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:10 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can't decide if this was bad:

Have pittsburgh sports fan on resume. AM fan, but it was early monday and hadn't watched the game on sunday or read about it. Interviewer says "how about rothelesburger" who had just had season ending injury. I dislike the player, since he's a rapist, and gave sort of a dissapointed "yeah...." and we moved on to have a lovely interview otherewise.

This is an honors program so I've had plenty of time to stew on this. Bad?


So I take it you aren't a Steelers fan?

Anonymous User wrote:If all of your SA is a job interview, as is the common wisdom, then this lunch during my 1L SA should count. General background: It's a small but well-respected firm where I'd really like to get a job. The partners are laid-back but very intelligent and sophisticated, as well as at least somewhat judgmental. They're looking for a personality fit and similar traits. They hire 1L SA's because they only offer about one SA every 7 years, on average. My law school OCI director told me it's the best job that comes to campus in terms of pay vs. hours worked. The point? I want this job. Interview, check, callback, done, two weeks of summer OCI go great, and then...today.

It's a June day with perfect weather, and the partners are particularly talkative. Owing to that and sheer caprice and coincidence with various schedules, we head to lunch with a large group for us: three partners, two senior associates, and me. We're in the firm lobby, shooting the shit about where to go to lunch, and an "important" call comes for someone, then another, and then everyone (still in good spirits) decides we all just need to leave because we're 20 minutes late to lunch and fucking hungry. We hop in a partner's Yukon and hightail it to the outskirts of town, just for the hell of it, where we go to what is basically a truck stop / diner that is known to have great comfort food. It's packed, like 200 people in there. We find a table, and on the way I notice a chalkboard with SPECIAL at the top and several listings, too many to read as we quickly walk by. I do, however, notice at the very bottom there is listed: 2-pc Walleye with sides - $x.xx.

Now, I've always been a believer that you should order the special when you're out to lunch in this type of situation. I mean, it's the special, what could go wrong? It's all ready, it won't take long, they won't screw it up, and you won't stand out for ordering something strange. Besides, walleye sounded great. What a perfect day. Everyone in a great mood, going to this cool greasy spoon off the beaten path, laughing about it, and I ordered the special.

Well, shit. You know where this is heading.

The first problem is when the waitress nearly immediately brings the bread. Not bread for the table, but bread in a basket for one and handed directly to me. Despite the small basket, it's way too much bread. Like four hot wheat rolls with butter. Well, I'm cutting into the bread because goddamnit I'm going to eat whatever I get because IT'S THE SPECIAL, and all the lawyers are talking about real lawyer stuff and I'm trying to get in a word to offer this delicious hot pile of starch to other people. Then I realize that I don't have enough bread for everyone to get one, so this could get really awkward. So I'm eating bread. And the lawyers are talking. And looking at me. And talking. And I'm not offering anyone bread because they're talking and it's awkward and because math. But it's pretty good. And they're still looking at me because it's at least 45 minutes after everyone normally eats lunch and people are hungry.

Then comes a lengthy wait during which a few folks mention how busy it is and that they are hungry and could use some food. Alas, here comes the salad! Uh, turns out it's not for everyone. It's actually not for anyone else but me. Great, I love salad for lunch. So 90 seconds later the conversation between the real lawyers hits that awkward waiting-for-food lull when everyone has a conversation bubble above their heads that reads "I enjoyed that conversation, I guess, but I really want my french dip," and the managing partner breaks the silence by loudly asking me, with a special artificial, trochaic joviality reserved for cynical career litigators, "HOW'S the SAL-ad?" And I'm thinking "IT'S FUCKING DELICIOUS AND YOU WOULD LOVE IT" but I really just kind of meekly shrug and mutter, "Yeah, it's, uh, yeah, I think it's got homemade ranch." Silence. "And the tomatoes are ... beautiful." *poke at a cherry tomato* *fucking poke, poke, roll, look around* *shitthey'restilllookingatme, poke, it rolllllls away, STAB, roll, pick that bitch up with fingers, om nom*

I eat the beautiful tomatoes, all of them. And the ranch and romaine and whatever. The next ten minutes are awesome for me. Hell, I'm almost full. I don't even care about acting smart or sneaking in a response to a partner's long conversation about the enforceability of a contract with multiple contingent material terms including a commodity price that changed in a way not contemplated by the parties at formation. My eyes are open but my brain is saying, "Nap time, bitch."

Then the walleye comes. Two huge fillets with homemade creamy coleslaw on a 14" plate that dwarfs every other meal at the table. It's delicious. I eat it all. Don't get me wrong: I don't want to. I'm utterly stuffed after eating 52% of it, but I ordered this goddamned thing and I'm not going to be ungrateful on the firm's dime.

Moral of the story: Ordering the special for lunch at a greasy spoon is a good idea. Not noticing that you personally, individually ordered something under the "Family Dinner Special" heading at one of the most important lunches of your life is not such a good idea.


None of this sounds bad.

They're a very good writer. It is an entertaining read despite the fact that nothing interesting happens.


Why did you just slip in a "whoa, didn't realize this was family sized! Who wants to help me kill this bread?"

User avatar
fats provolone
Posts: 7125
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:44 pm

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby fats provolone » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:19 pm

BECAUSE MATH HEEHEE




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.