Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:54 pm

At the end of the interview, the interviewer reached over and folded down my coat collar. (which had been, unbeknownst to me, sticking up throughout the entire interview) He said, "Don't sweat it, I hate to dress up."

CB

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:08 pm

On a callback and while talking about my undergraduate school, make a joke about how we just majorly upgraded** our football apparel contract from brand y to x brand after an improved record last year. Mid lunch realize one attorney is wearing a shirt from brand y. :shock:

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:On a callback and while talking about my undergraduate school, make a joke about how we just majorly upgraded** our football apparel contract from brand y to x brand after an improved record last year. Mid lunch realize one attorney is wearing a shirt from brand y. :shock:

An attorney was wearing an Under armor / adidas shirt at a callback? :?

WestWingWatcher

Postby WestWingWatcher » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At the end of the interview, the interviewer reached over and folded down my coat collar. (which had been, unbeknownst to me, sticking up throughout the entire interview) He said, "Don't sweat it, I hate to dress up."

CB

Your interviewer is my hero.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:35 pm

WestWingWatcher wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At the end of the interview, the interviewer reached over and folded down my coat collar. (which had been, unbeknownst to me, sticking up throughout the entire interview) He said, "Don't sweat it, I hate to dress up."

CB

Interesting. I think reaching over to touch an interviewee's clothes--even if it's in the interest of helping--is kind of douchey/creepy. Why not just tell the guy that he needs to fix his collar?

WestWingWatcher

Postby WestWingWatcher » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:20 am

rpupkin wrote:
WestWingWatcher wrote:

CB

Interesting. I think reaching over to touch an interviewee's clothes--even if it's in the interest of helping--is kind of douchey/creepy. Why not just tell the guy that he needs to fix his collar?

True–I'm not a big fan of strangers reaching over and touching my clothing, but the general vibe of 1) wanting someone to not look silly for future interviews where people may be more willing to judge someone for something so trivial and 2) trying to express some sort of solidarity with anon and 3) genuinely meaning the "don't sweat it" as evidenced by the CB, is what I was expressing admiration for. Though I can see certain characters being able to pull off the folding-down of the coat collar in a somewhat not creepy manner.

barkschool

Postby barkschool » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:12 am

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:On a callback and while talking about my undergraduate school, make a joke about how we just majorly upgraded** our football apparel contract from brand y to x brand after an improved record last year. Mid lunch realize one attorney is wearing a shirt from brand y. :shock:

Was the cb on a golf course?

DELG

Postby DELG » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:34 am

barkschool wrote:
MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:

Was the cb on a golf course?

Quinn, probably

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:54 pm

Ripped my pants on a callback. I was climbing into one of the Attorney's vehicle for lunch. Lunch was the first thing on the schedule. I had to go the rest of the day with a big rip in my crotch. The Attorney felt pretty bad and allowed me to use his office to staple my pants shut before my next interview. It was still a pretty large rip lol.

Just to complete the story: I got an offer. lol

grizz20

Postby grizz20 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:47 pm

Interviewer: What type of work are you interested in?
Me: Undecided. I would like to get my feet wet in both patent litigation and prosecution. I like litigation work because...X... And prosecution work sounds very interesting because...Y...
Interviewer: We only do prosecution (as he cocks his head to the right)
Me: ....Yeah. That's right. (Deer in the headlights look and stomach/chest deflated)

Interviewer took it well. He didn't cut me off. After my err, We talked about our lives before law school both knowing full well no offer would be in the future. Didn't get an offer.

RaceJudicata

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ripped my pants on a callback. I was climbing into one of the Attorney's vehicle for lunch. Lunch was the first thing on the schedule. I had to go the rest of the day with a big rip in my crotch. The Attorney felt pretty bad and allowed me to use his office to staple my pants shut before my next interview. It was still a pretty large rip lol.

Just to complete the story: I got an offer. lol

This is a firm I want to work at.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:16 am

I had a really bad callback mid to late in this cycle that resulted in a ding. My first interview was with a partner, and s/he started off by asking me if I had questions about the firm. Not a single question about me. It was really weird. And when I asked my usual questions, I got short answers. It was really awkward. Thankfully, the interviews with associates were not so bad, but then my other partner interview was also weird, as if s/he didn't really care to ask anything about me. Based on the timing of the interview (it was scheduled 3-4 weeks in advance), my guess is that they had already filled their summer class but went through the interview anyway so they wouldn't cause a big fuss. Is that something that happens?

North

Postby North » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had a really bad callback mid to late in this cycle that resulted in a ding. My first interview was with a partner, and s/he started off by asking me if I had questions about the firm. Not a single question about me. It was really weird. And when I asked my usual questions, I got short answers. It was really awkward. Thankfully, the interviews with associates were not so bad, but then my other partner interview was also weird, as if s/he didn't really care to ask anything about me. Based on the timing of the interview (it was scheduled 3-4 weeks in advance), my guess is that they had already filled their summer class but went through the interview anyway so they wouldn't cause a big fuss. Is that something that happens?

All the time. Got to schedule them ASAP.

Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:34 am

Last edited by Desert Fox on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cobretti

Postby Cobretti » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:50 am

Desert Fox wrote:
star fox wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My OCI interviews were overly fratty -- basically "fuck USC!" "The 49ers look great!" "I like to chug beer in my free time!" Etc.

wut

yeah how does that happen unless you take the interview there or put "broing out" in your interest section?

Maybe a west coast thing?

It's a thing if you look like you'll be interested. K&L Gates gave me Cubs tix.

OP is better off not working at a firm with such lapses in judgement that they would consider the niners anything above SPS. And yes, this is from a Bears apologist/defender.

star fox

Postby star fox » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:25 am

Cobretti wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
star fox wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My OCI interviews were overly fratty -- basically "fuck USC!" "The 49ers look great!" "I like to chug beer in my free time!" Etc.

wut

yeah how does that happen unless you take the interview there or put "broing out" in your interest section?

Maybe a west coast thing?

It's a thing if you look like you'll be interested. K&L Gates gave me Cubs tix.

OP is better off not working at a firm with such lapses in judgement that they would consider the niners anything above SPS. And yes, this is from a Bears apologist/defender.

Now that Cubs tickets are worth having again, this free tix policy seems to have ended.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had a really bad callback mid to late in this cycle that resulted in a ding. My first interview was with a partner, and s/he started off by asking me if I had questions about the firm. Not a single question about me. It was really weird. And when I asked my usual questions, I got short answers. It was really awkward. Thankfully, the interviews with associates were not so bad, but then my other partner interview was also weird, as if s/he didn't really care to ask anything about me. Based on the timing of the interview (it was scheduled 3-4 weeks in advance), my guess is that they had already filled their summer class but went through the interview anyway so they wouldn't cause a big fuss. Is that something that happens?

So you were interviewed by two barely engaged, distracted partners and four decent associates? That basically describes half of my callbacks. Although those partner interviews don't sound like they were much fun, your experience wasn't all that unusual.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:51 am

During OCI, I interviewed with a federal government honors program. One of my interviewers was wearing a dress that was riding up a lot while she fidgeted in her seat. Well, she leaned back in her chair, uncrossed her legs, started talking to the other interviewer, and I just happened to glance down. I got a full view of her pubes and vulva. Just her, no underwear and au naturel, and me sitting there awkwardly with a what-kind-of-Basic-Instinct-shit-is-this face.

Companion Cube

Postby Companion Cube » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:During OCI, I interviewed with a federal government honors program. One of my interviewers was wearing a dress that was riding up a lot while she fidgeted in her seat. Well, she leaned back in her chair, uncrossed her legs, started talking to the other interviewer, and I just happened to glance down. I got a full view of her pubes and vulva. Just her, no underwear and au naturel, and me sitting there awkwardly with a what-kind-of-Basic-Instinct-shit-is-this face.

Ahhhhhhhahahaha

Glasseyes

Postby Glasseyes » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:During OCI, I interviewed with a federal government honors program. One of my interviewers was wearing a dress that was riding up a lot while she fidgeted in her seat. Well, she leaned back in her chair, uncrossed her legs, started talking to the other interviewer, and I just happened to glance down. I got a full view of her pubes and vulva. Just her, no underwear and au naturel, and me sitting there awkwardly with a what-kind-of-Basic-Instinct-shit-is-this face.

What a world where people can't afford underwear on a government salary

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:55 pm

Get a callback?

grand inquisitor

Postby grand inquisitor » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:12 pm

does this woman look like what I would imagine a female government attorney would look like?

tomorrowperson

Postby tomorrowperson » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:19 pm

baal hadad wrote:

Get a callback?

Nope.

grand inquisitor wrote:does this woman look like what I would imagine a female government attorney would look like?

She wasn't bad looking. She just didn't know how to dress.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:21 pm

tomorrowperson wrote:
grand inquisitor wrote:does this woman look like what I would imagine a female government attorney would look like?

She wasn't bad looking. She just didn't know how to dress.

Follow up: was it difficult to concentrate with your raging hard on

smallfirmassociate

Postby smallfirmassociate » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:30 pm

tomorrowperson wrote:She wasn't bad looking. She just didn't know how to dress.

I disagree.

Return to “Legal Employment”