Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
grand inquisitor

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby grand inquisitor » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:59 pm

best example of casual interview body language i have seen:

Companion Cube

Postby Companion Cube » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:39 pm

In the middle of a CB interview I found myself just staring out of the guy's window while he was talking to me. I know he noticed because he looked out the window too, I suppose to see what I was looking at. I don't know why I did what I did. I think he just had a nice view and I couldn't help myself

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:42 pm

Companion Cube wrote:In the middle of a CB interview I found myself just staring out of the guy's window while he was talking to me. I know he noticed because he looked out the window too, I suppose to see what I was looking at. I don't know why I did what I did. I think he just had a nice view and I couldn't help myself

I've definitely been in interviews when you have that moment where your brain just goes "la la la I don't want to pay attention to this any more" and you're desperately hoping the fact that you have no idea what the interviewer is saying isn't obvious. That's when things like pretty views suddenly become irresistible.

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewer: what would your process be when a client comes to you with a legal question and you're the only one available in the office.
Me: well, I would look at the question, think of ways to research it... Mumble mumble... Look at the restatement of the law so I get informed... Mumble mumble...
*Several seconds of silence before next question*
*I realize I just said the restatement of law and feel stupid.
Interviewer: what if the client tells you they need an answer right away?
Me: It depends on whether it's one of two situations. *i go on to describe first way*.
Interviewer: is that it?
Me: yes.
*i realize I completely forgot to address the second way and I'm about to excuse myself so I can punch myself in the face*
Interview continues before I can fix my error.

Surprisingly... Offer.

"I'd run a conflicts check"

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:05 pm

TheoO wrote:Oh and my friend forgot his padfolio in the hotel room, so he went back to get it. He knocked several times but decided to go in since the door wasn't fully closed. When he picked up his padfolio, he saw that the partner was taking a dump in the bathroom and didn't close the bathroom door. No cb.

This is awesome

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:18 pm

"Why our firm?"

"Because your firm has three offices in X, Y and Z." (However, the firm has seven offices, which include neither Y nor Z!)

The interview ended about ten minutes earlier . . . OCI moment. Priceless!

shredderrrrrr

Postby shredderrrrrr » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:31 am

Broscientist wrote:
I quite literally burst out laughing in my corporations class. The professor just asked why I was laughing at a peer's answer. I said it was funny because it wasn't just wrong, but the most wrong answer he could have given. She looks at me like a lioness about to pounce.... then says "I agree." There is hope.

P.S.

I have no idea what the question or answer given was.

That happened

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:48 am

TheoO wrote:Oh and my friend forgot his padfolio in the hotel room, so he went back to get it. He knocked several times but decided to go in since the door wasn't fully closed. When he picked up his padfolio, he saw that the partner was taking a dump in the bathroom and didn't close the bathroom door. No cb.

I don't get why the dude wouldn't just close the bathroom door when taking a dump. What if housekeeping came?

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:21 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Companion Cube wrote:In the middle of a CB interview I found myself just staring out of the guy's window while he was talking to me. I know he noticed because he looked out the window too, I suppose to see what I was looking at. I don't know why I did what I did. I think he just had a nice view and I couldn't help myself

I've definitely been in interviews when you have that moment where your brain just goes "la la la I don't want to pay attention to this any more" and you're desperately hoping the fact that you have no idea what the interviewer is saying isn't obvious. That's when things like pretty views suddenly become irresistible.

Oh god yes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:27 am

Interviewer: What movie character would you say you are most like.

Me: Well, I sort of use movies as an escape, to see the types of characters we can never be. For example, no one could ever be as brave as some of the heroes you see in these movies. So I love movies precisely because I could never do or be like the people I'm watching (I'm thinking that was a good enough brush away to get him to move on).

Interviewer: Nah, I'd like to hear what movie character you are most like.

Me: Um, I'm not really sure.

Interviewer: Ok, well how about you email me once you have an answer.

Me: Uh, ok.

benwyatt

Post removed.

Postby benwyatt » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:32 am

Post removed.
Last edited by benwyatt on Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FSK

Postby FSK » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:38 am

benwyatt wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interviewer: What movie character would you say you are most like.

Me: Well, I sort of use movies as an escape, to see the types of characters we can never be. For example, no one could ever be as brave as some of the heroes you see in these movies. So I love movies precisely because I could never do or be like the people I'm watching (I'm thinking that was a good enough brush away to get him to move on).

Brutal.

Should have Harvey Specter, obviously.

King Dong

Postby King Dong » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:42 am

flawschoolkid wrote:
benwyatt wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interviewer: What movie character would you say you are most like.

Brutal.

Should have Harvey Specter, obviously.

Neo, from the matrix. Because Im the one. for this job

smallfirmassociate

Postby smallfirmassociate » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:53 pm

Tough question to spring on someone last minute. I'd probably panic and say Karl Childers or Walter Kurtz or something.

JusticeJackson

Postby JusticeJackson » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:11 pm

Last edited by JusticeJackson on Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:21 pm

I got that question at OCI from an interviewer too! I didn't know what to say, so I went "Forrest Gump? I kind of just derp through life and try to keep my head down and good and interesting stuff keeps happening, so I'm down with that."

Offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:28 pm

I actually tried to back my way into an answer, saying that, while I couldn't think of a character, I know what kind of traits the character would have. I said he would be genuine, friendly, patient, enthusiastic, etc. And I kind of made light of whole thing by noting how, given those characteristics, it was essentially impossible to peg them to a particular movie character. Yet the D-bag still was like "if you think of someone, email me."

whats an updog

Postby whats an updog » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I actually tried to back my way into an answer, saying that, while I couldn't think of a character, I know what kind of traits the character would have. I said he would be genuine, friendly, patient, enthusiastic, etc. And I kind of made light of whole thing by noting how, given those characteristics, it was essentially impossible to peg them to a particular movie character. Yet the D-bag still was like "if you think of someone, email me."

Did you email him later?

star fox

Postby star fox » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:10 pm

Tony Montana

smallfirmassociate

Postby smallfirmassociate » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I actually tried to back my way into an answer, saying that, while I couldn't think of a character, I know what kind of traits the character would have. I said he would be genuine, friendly, patient, enthusiastic, etc. And I kind of made light of whole thing by noting how, given those characteristics, it was essentially impossible to peg them to a particular movie character. Yet the D-bag still was like "if you think of someone, email me."

That's when you say, "Right now, I feel a bit like Peter Gibbons."

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:46 pm

King Dong wrote:Neo, from the matrix. Because Im the one. for this job

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:50 pm

whats an updog wrote:

Did you email him later?

I wrote him a thank you email after the interview, and I think I suggested 1 or 2 movie characters with some fluff, nonsensical justification for why they are like me (none of them were in the slightest). Never got a response.

Pretty sure that, if I watched a movie about a character like me, it would be boring as shit by movie standards (or by most standards in general, essentially)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:54 pm

Oddly enough, while a movie question led to my worst interview moment, it also helped me nail other interviews. Some old partner was asking me about my fav classic sci fi movies. I listed off a few, and hit on one that made him say "that's the movie I took my now-wife to on our first date! I like your taste!" Got offer like a day later.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:00 pm

Screener interview:

Interviewer: so what kind of practice are you interested in?

Me: I'm interested in transactional IP, but also generally corporate.

Interviewer: but if you had to pick one, which?

Me: well I guess transactional IP.

Interviewer: I'm going to be honest, we pretty much only do that in [other office]

(Well then why did your website say otherwise???)

No offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:27 pm

Confession:

Two CBs in one day, in the 8th or 9th interview of the day my brain shut down. Interview w/ Partner (who btw went on to tell me the "most important characteristic" you can have as a lawyer is to "take your work home with you and think about it constantly").

Ask partner what factors have led them to join the firm, and then what has made them stay w/ the firm. Partner answers. Brain dead me follows up with the EXACT same question.

Response: "You just asked that." Silence.

This all occurred two minutes into the interview. A long 28 minutes followed

Return to “Legal Employment”