Bad Interview Moments

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jbagelboy

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Somehow the conversation of recently severed long term relationships was brought up during a callback lunch. I mentioned I had recently ended a three-year relationship and a second-year associate said he recently had ended a three-year relationship, also. For some reason, I said (thinking it would be funny), "what I forgot to tell everyone is that me and (second year associate) were actually dating." Not sure why I said that.

That's pretty funny actually, unless you're male and the associate is a more attractive female. Anyone who appreciates Office-style humor wouldn't hold it against you.

redindianjoe

Postby redindianjoe » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:17 pm

i got into an interview during my first year, i had been called by the student affairs department.
with four interviewers in front of me and the room was so fucking small, everyone just starring at me. before they could ask me anything my heart was already pumbing , idk maybe 10000 strokes a second, i was even failing to speak properly. that was so fuckin embarrassing!!!! what kind of a lawyer will i be?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:21 pm

redindianjoe wrote:i got into an interview during my first year, i had been called by the student affairs department.
with four interviewers in front of me and the room was so fucking small, everyone just starring at me. before they could ask me anything my heart was already pumbing , idk maybe 10000 strokes a second, i was even failing to speak properly. that was so fuckin embarrassing!!!! what kind of a lawyer will i be?

One with a tenuous grasp of the English language, from the looks of it.

redindianjoe

Postby redindianjoe » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:26 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
redindianjoe wrote:i got into an interview during my first year, i had been called by the student affairs department.

it was really not my moment, since then i hate interviews

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:32 pm

Danger Zone wrote:

Arboreal

Postby Arboreal » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:39 pm

Opening paragraphs of acclaimed (but apparently unwelcome) novel in which the main action consist of an interview.
Last edited by Arboreal on Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:44 pm

You're so worldly, quoting Infinite Jest.

h2go

Postby h2go » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:53 pm

I had an screener with Kirkland a couple years ago. It was towards the end of the day, so I was kind of tired. I forget what we were talking about, but I was trying to say something along the lines of "I'm really interested in Kirkland because of X." I got halfway through the sentence and I blanked on what firm I was interviewing for, so it came out "I'm really interested in..................literally 5-10 seconds of awkward pausing as I was trying to remember who I was talking to slash figure out what to say next......YOUR FIRM because ...."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:55 pm

I had a CB where I didn't know who had interviewed me for the screener when I was asked. Lets see how that goes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:44 pm

Not terribly juicy but stated interest in the Palo Alto office of a firm in Menlo Park yesterday.

stupid stupid stupid

always say silicon valley

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:39 pm

I can't remember if I already posted this so I will again:

Two stories from my very first ever callback.

I think these things are supposed to be like interviews, right? Person asks a question, I answer it, they ask another, I answer, etc.

What I did not realize was that most people just want to chat, and that I should look for moments to just have a normal conversation or respond like a normal human being.

So the first person I talk to is a named partner (small firm), and all he does is tell me about the exciting social events. "We go to baseball games. We have poker nights. Etc." After each one he looks at me, seeming to expect a response. The whole time I'm thinking "when is he going to ask me a question?" so instead of saying "I love baseball. Going to the games is fun, etc..." I just smile and go "uh-huh."
He never asked me a question, I never a said a word to him besides "thank you" at the end.

Second story:

I go to lunch with two partners (again, small firm). During lunch I completely blank on their names. It bugs me. I ALWAYS think people can sense when I forget their name. It distracts me from the conversation. I decide to excuse myself to the restroom and I frantically pull up the firm website on my phone. They have a page with everyone's name and picture. Awesome. The only problem: both guys are middle-aged chubby white guys and I cannot for the life of me tell them apart from the photos. I can't even narrow it down to which two of the 5 or 6 chubby white guys i am having lunch with. After 15 minutes, I just give up and go back to lunch.

Ding

cron1834

Postby cron1834 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:49 pm

Micdiddy wrote:I can't remember if I already posted this so I will again:

I think these things are supposed to be like interviews, right? Person asks a question, I answer it, they ask another, I answer, etc.

What I did not realize was that most people just want to chat, and that I should look for moments to just have a normal conversation or respond like a normal human being.

So the first person I talk to is a named partner (small firm), and all he does is tell me about the exciting social events. "We go to baseball games. We have poker nights. Etc." After each one he looks at me, seeming to expect a response. The whole time I'm thinking "when is he going to ask me a question?" so instead of saying "I love baseball. Going to the games is fun, etc..." I just smile and go "uh-huh."
He never asked me a question, I never a said a word to him besides "thank you" at the end.

Second story:

I go to lunch with two partners (again, small firm). During lunch I completely blank on their names. It bugs me. I ALWAYS think people can sense when I forget their name. It distracts me from the conversation. I decide to excuse myself to the restroom and I frantically pull up the firm website on my phone. They have a page with everyone's name and picture. Awesome. The only problem: both guys are middle-aged chubby white guys and I cannot for the life of me tell them apart from the photos. I can't even narrow it down to which two of the 5 or 6 chubby white guys i am having lunch with. After 15 minutes, I just give up and go back to lunch.

Ding

I enjoyed this. I assume a ding from story #1 as well?

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:51 pm

Second story:

Ding

I'm pretty sure I got a ding at one firm for spending too much time in the restroom at lunch during my callback.

If you're going to lunch on your callback, don't excuse yourself during the meal folks. It's basically like leaving in the middle of an interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:59 pm

I had a screener where the interviewer talked about herself the entire time. I'm not sure she asked me a single question.

Callback.

iamgeorgebush

Postby iamgeorgebush » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:02 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

Second story:

Ding

I'm pretty sure I got a ding at one firm for spending too much time in the restroom at lunch during my callback.

If you're going to lunch on your callback, don't excuse yourself during the meal folks. It's basically like leaving in the middle of an interview.

Uh, I don't know that using the restroom during lunch is taboo. I've done it on multiple CBs myself, and I got an offer from one. The way most CBs are set up, interviews beforehand are back-to-back, and they can't expect you to abstain from using the restroom for three (or more) hours.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:02 pm

cron1834 wrote:

Second story:

Ding

I enjoyed this. I assume a ding from story #1 as well?

Same callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:10 pm

iamgeorgebush wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:

Second story:

Ding

Uh, I don't know that using the restroom during lunch is taboo. I've done it on multiple CBs myself, and I got an offer from one. The way most CBs are set up, interviews beforehand are back-to-back, and they can't expect you to abstain from using the restroom for three (or more) hours.

I assume he meant just during lunch, not the entire callback.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:04 pm

Danger Zone wrote:You're so worldly, quoting Infinite Jest.

glad i saw this before i approached the wall of text

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:59 am

Not sure if this is exactly a bad interview moment, but I feel like my theater background turned me into a compulsive liar in interviews. I've done so much improv that when asked a question, I will just find myself answering automatically, even if it involves a major stretch of the truth. I'm putting all my energy into always being "on" and charming, and very little energy into making sure that whatever answer pops out of my mouth is completely truthful. And then I find myself reusing these same half-truths so that when asked the same question by another interview, I'll answer the same way - but better, since now I've rehearsed the story. How do I turn this off? I know this will hurt me in my career and I never noticed this habit until law firm interviews.

TLDR - I think I'm a compulsive liar and that terrifies me. Help.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had a screener where the interviewer talked about herself the entire time. I'm not sure she asked me a single question.

Callback.

Idk why you posted this in bad interciew moments

People, esp lawyers, love talking about themselves. Of course you got a CB

swampman

Postby swampman » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure if this is exactly a bad interview moment, but I feel like my theater background turned me into a compulsive liar in interviews. I've done so much improv that when asked a question, I will just find myself answering automatically, even if it involves a major stretch of the truth. I'm putting all my energy into always being "on" and charming, and very little energy into making sure that whatever answer pops out of my mouth is completely truthful. And then I find myself reusing these same half-truths so that when asked the same question by another interview, I'll answer the same way - but better, since now I've rehearsed the story. How do I turn this off? I know this will hurt me in my career and I never noticed this habit until law firm interviews.

TLDR - I think I'm a compulsive liar and that terrifies me. Help.

Just start telling them "I came to law school because I want a high-paying job and have no marketable skills," and "I like your firm because they pay 160k a year and I place a low value on my personal/social life" and "in five years I see myself having paid off my loans and as far from your firm as physically possible."

Or, you know, keep lying your ass off. This is how law firm interviews work, this is what they want, this is what everyone does.

Kratos

Postby Kratos » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:49 am

MyNameIsFlynn! wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I had a screener where the interviewer talked about herself the entire time. I'm not sure she asked me a single question.

Callback.

Idk why you posted this in bad interciew moments

People, esp lawyers, love talking about themselves. Of course you got a CB

yeah this sounds like my dream interview. do nothing and still get the desired result

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:49 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:

I got a bloody nose during a callback, got blood on my interviewer's desk, got up and left to go to the bathroom in the middle of the actual interview, and was in there for at least 10 minutes trying to get the blood to stop flowing.

Offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:08 pm

Had a few funky interviews, but one of them was just with a complete weirdo. I know law is full of funny people, but it's more of a laughable weird/awkward for most and none of my other interviewers can even close. Just a very strange person in the way they described their background, interests, and why they joined the firm. Felt like I was talking to a tape recorder barely holding it together.

totesTheGoat

Postby totesTheGoat » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:04 pm

I got to an OCI interview about 5 minutes early, and heard them talking with the prior interviewee. The sign on the door says "knock 5 minutes before your scheduled time" but I would always knock right at my scheduled time. No point in annoying them 5 minutes early. So I knocked at my time and they just kept going. 10 minutes later I knock again... no response. 10 minutes more I knock again. It's now the middle of my interview slot, and I'm starting to get annoyed. I didn't have an interview right after, but I had somewhere to be after the interview. Finally, 30 minutes after my 20 minute slot started (35 after I got there), I knock one final time before I was going to go to the career office and complain. I heard a "that's sooo rude" from the interview room, to which I thought "the rude thing is blowing through my entire interview slot and ignoring my knocks."

Finally, the interview ended, and I got gruffly invited in. They were obviously annoyed with me. I introduced myself and told them that I was the 3:00 interview. Anyway, after a minute we realized that the career office had screwed up and double booked my time, but forgot to inform me that they pushed my interview one slot forward to fix it.

You'd think that this would be the end, but it wasn't. Once the mistake was exposed, they instantly became gracious, only to have it turn back to gruffness when they looked at my resume. My experience is specialized into a certain type of law, and after the first "talk us through your resume" question they say "you know that this is an interview for [certain city] office, and the only office that does [specialization] is in [other city], right?" I tried to salvage the interview, but I knew it was over at that point, and the 20 minute interview ended in 5 minutes. I left the room wondering why they selected me to interview in the first place. Why did they waste my time when they could see full well from a cursory glance at my credentials that I was specialized in a field that they didn't practice??

At least the terrible feeling didn't last long, I got 2 CBs on the drive home.

Return to “Legal Employment”