Bad Interview Moments Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
El Pollito

Diamond

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by El Pollito » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:29 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
drmguy wrote:
luckyme wrote:"Do you have any questions for us?"

"I think your website pretty much covered everything."
I prefaced a really in depth question with something like this. The interviewer didn't know the answer to any of my questions. I learned that the conventional advice of "don't ask something you can find on the website" doesn't apply to firms with really detailed websites. No CB
Aside from having to proof my bio page, I have not looked at a single page on my firm's web site since joining the firm. I think the same is true of most attorneys.

Seriously, I often learn things about my own firm when an interviewee asks me a question about something they've read on the firm's web site. Typical conversation:

Interview candidate: "I saw you guys were awarded X firm of the year by Z magazine for your work in Y. Are you guys getting more Y cases these days?"

Me: "Really? Cool! Uh, yeah, our Y practice is going strong."
This is pretty evident from a candidate's perspective as well. We had a "mock" interview program at my school last year and, not one, but two interviewers provided bios that contained multiple and flagrant spelling errors (one even had his name misspelled within his own bio- think "Mr. Simth is particularly accomplished in..." And these were essentially just screenshots from the firm website.

Stakes were low so I called the interviewers' attention to the mistakes. They responded predictably, and I did not do the same during actual OCI (even though errors were equally abundant).
yeah but no one cares about the candidate's perspective

WashingtonIrving

New

Post by WashingtonIrving » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:34 pm

BizBro wrote:to be fair, you could have simply asked the question differently; i.e. "can you tell me a bit about your practice?"
Totally, I just like to give them the opportunity to be assholes.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:41 am

WashingtonIrving wrote:I mean, there are several ways that an interviewer can handle that without making things awkward. She could just answer the question in the first place, for example. If an interviewer asks me, "So, what did you do this summer?" I don't generally respond, "You don't know? Did you read my resume?"
I had a pre-OCI callback with a mid-sized firm in my home market. The interviewer's first question was "It wasn't clear from your materials why you're interviewing in this market. We usually only take people from the Y area."

I seriously had to suppress the urge to say "Well, I guess if you had spent literally ten seconds on my resume you would've noticed I went to college here. Or that I have three jobs listed here. Or that I have a home address listed here. And there was that cover letter whose second sentence was 'I'm from Market Y and am really interesting in returning to begin my career there.' Or failing all of that, you might have noticed when you called me that you were dialing a number with the same area code as your firm. But, you know, guess you were busy."

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:22 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
WashingtonIrving wrote:I mean, there are several ways that an interviewer can handle that without making things awkward. She could just answer the question in the first place, for example. If an interviewer asks me, "So, what did you do this summer?" I don't generally respond, "You don't know? Did you read my resume?"
I had a pre-OCI callback with a mid-sized firm in my home market. The interviewer's first question was "It wasn't clear from your materials why you're interviewing in this market. We usually only take people from the Y area."

I seriously had to suppress the urge to say "Well, I guess if you had spent literally ten seconds on my resume you would've noticed I went to college here. Or that I have three jobs listed here. Or that I have a home address listed here. And there was that cover letter whose second sentence was 'I'm from Market Y and am really interesting in returning to begin my career there.' Or failing all of that, you might have noticed when you called me that you were dialing a number with the same area code as your firm. But, you know, guess you were busy."
Not a horror story

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:25 pm

baal hadad wrote:

Not a horror story
also lol at people thinking they're entitled to have busy attorneys know their resumes in and out

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:27 pm

baal hadad wrote:

Not a horror story
Could also have been written by anyone who interviewed in an insular market hometown.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:41 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
baal hadad wrote:

Not a horror story
Could also have been written by anyone who interviewed in an insular market hometown.
I got the same question at every firm I interviewed with in my secondary (tertiary?) market and honestly I took that as an opportunity to show how much I wanted to work there

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:12 pm

How about this one:

Interviewer: How are you?
Me: oh you know, lots of interviews, but I'm excited to meet you.
Interviewer: Yes it's a tiring process, how many firms have you interviewed with?
Me: 11 this week, and 11 last week. But you know I can't complain... White people problems.

* One of the interviewers was black.

Did not get a CB.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:14 pm

incredible. way to get this thread back on track.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Companion Cube

Silver

Post by Companion Cube » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How about this one:

Interviewer: Yes it's a tiring process, how many firms have you interviewed with?
Me: 11 this week, and 11 last week. But you know I can't complain... White people problems.

Did not get a CB.
[INSERT "YOU DON'T SAY" MEME HERE]

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:45 pm

Haha wow, did everyone just roll with it like you hadn't said anything?

Nekrowizard

Bronze

Post by Nekrowizard » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How about this one:

Did not get a CB.
AUTISM
U
T
I
S
M

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:30 pm

El Pollito wrote:also lol at people thinking they're entitled to have busy attorneys know their resumes in and out
It was more funny they didn't look at the one thing they apparently cared about, but yeah, this shit happens all the time; I can't blame them when I've entirely forgotten which firm I'm interviewing with before.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Wustlmike19

New

Post by Wustlmike19 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:42 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:Haha wow, did everyone just roll with it like you hadn't said anything?
Yup, literally just kept in going like nothing happened, the rest of the interview actually went quite well.

Serett

Post by Serett » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:06 pm

El Pollito wrote:
baal hadad wrote:

Not a horror story
also lol at people thinking they're entitled to have busy attorneys know their resumes in and out
lol at thinking you're soooo busy you don't have 10 seconds to glance at the universities an interviewee attended or that this constitutes "know[ing] their resumes in and out"

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:20 pm

lol at thinking you're soooo busy you don't have 10 seconds to glance at the universities an interviewee attended or that this constitutes "know[ing] their resumes in and out"
We do glance. Jn fact, we glance at everything on the page. We just don't remember because you're all fungible.

Serett

Post by Serett » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:26 pm

Old Gregg wrote:
We do glance. Jn fact, we glance at everything on the page. We just don't remember because you're all fungible.
As are associates. And frankly most partners. So great, we've established that we're all replaceable cogs in the machine. Now can you stop being shitheads on the forum where people are still actively worrying about getting jobs?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:26 pm

Serett wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
baal hadad wrote:

Not a horror story
yeah there's no way i pay attention to their undergraduate institution, sorry buddy

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:39 pm

As are associates. And frankly most partners. So great, we've established that we're all replaceable cogs in the machine. Now can you stop being shitheads on the forum where people are still actively worrying about getting jobs?
This is a thread about bad interviews, so I think you calling for the end of shitheadery is not apropos here...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:48 pm

I made a joke during a call-back about how terrible company X is.

Learned later in the day that company X had just retained the firm for a huge lit case.

Offer.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I made a joke during a call-back about how terrible company X is.

Learned later in the day that company X had just retained the firm for a huge lit case.

Offer.
I work in lit and think most of the companies we represent are terrible. In fact, I'm more likely to think our clients are terrible because I've been exposed--through defensive discovery--to all the stupid things the company's execs say in emails.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:59 pm

Interviewer started singing a song during my interview and expected me to continue the lyrics for the chorus once he stopped. I didn't know what it was even though it was a popular/common song. Tells me what song it is and the chorus lyrics. Near the end of the interview he whips out his phone and finds a mp3 of it. Starts jamming to it and asked me to finish the lyrics again, but I had forgotten it from the beginning of the interview. Felt like an idiot.

Got the CB.

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:50 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I made a joke during a call-back about how terrible company X is.

Offer.
I work in lit and think most of the companies we represent are terrible. In fact, I'm more likely to think our clients are terrible because I've been exposed--through defensive discovery--to all the stupid things the company's execs say in emails.
From what I gather, most people in lit know their companies are evil.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewer started singing a song during my interview and expected me to continue the lyrics for the chorus once he stopped. I didn't know what it was even though it was a popular/common song. Tells me what song it is and the chorus lyrics. Near the end of the interview he whips out his phone and finds a mp3 of it. Starts jamming to it and asked me to finish the lyrics again, but I had forgotten it from the beginning of the interview. Felt like an idiot.

Got the CB.
Hahaha that's awesome

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewer started singing a song during my interview and expected me to continue the lyrics for the chorus once he stopped. I didn't know what it was even though it was a popular/common song. Tells me what song it is and the chorus lyrics. Near the end of the interview he whips out his phone and finds a mp3 of it. Starts jamming to it and asked me to finish the lyrics again, but I had forgotten it from the beginning of the interview. Felt like an idiot.

Got the CB.
That sounds like the sort of person I'd like to work with

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”