Bad Interview Moments Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ymmv

Diamond

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by ymmv » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2 more:

1. Had a skype screener about 2 weeks ago with a regional firm from my home state. I was not that into it and was really just hoping to cancel it before hand after getting an OCI offer but had not gotten one yet. It is going normally and until she prefaces the last question with the following: "This is a really weird question but . . . ." She proceeds to ask me "If you could get away with any crime what would it be?"

I am like ummmmmm, and start panicking because while the obvious answer probably has to do with stealing, I figured that was what they were looking for so I proceed to say, "I would go to Iraq and kill everyone in ISIS." So yeah..... she thinks I am a sociopath. I figured it was a decent answer because it was not stealing and was patriotic but yeah.... I think I pulled that one out of my ass because I had a blow out with a friend about Gitmo the night before.

2. I had an OCI interview that I signed up for in a market I was not that interested in. I noticed before hand that one of the interviewers went to a small private school I was familiar with. I have either a distant relative or family friend (shows how "familiar" I am with the school) who played quarterback there like 20 years ago. I proceed to tell him about it and then I completely blanked on the guys name when he asked me "Oh nice what is his name?" I looked him straight in the eye and just blurted out "Mike Johnson." 99.8% sure he knew I was straight up bullshitting.
Did she follow up on how killing people in ISIS is a crime, because pretty sure that's what Barry O. and the US armed forces intend to do...

ETA: btw, I would have said robbing a bank to pay off my loans without hesitation
I actually prefaced my answer by saying "not sure if this is a crime but...." I kind of wish I had an offer in hand before that screener so I could have said something totally off the wall just for kicks. Something like "Id rape all the victoria secret models" probably would have done the trick
Not funny bro.

PvblivsScipio

Bronze

Post by PvblivsScipio » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:42 pm

ymmv wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

1. Had a skype screener about 2 weeks ago with a regional firm from my home state. I was not that into it and was really just hoping to cancel it before hand after getting an OCI offer but had not gotten one yet. It is going normally and until she prefaces the last question with the following: "This is a really weird question but . . . ." She proceeds to ask me "If you could get away with any crime what would it be?"

I am like ummmmmm, and start panicking because while the obvious answer probably has to do with stealing, I figured that was what they were looking for so I proceed to say, "I would go to Iraq and kill everyone in ISIS." So yeah..... she thinks I am a sociopath. I figured it was a decent answer because it was not stealing and was patriotic but yeah.... I think I pulled that one out of my ass because I had a blow out with a friend about Gitmo the night before.

2. I had an OCI interview that I signed up for in a market I was not that interested in. I noticed before hand that one of the interviewers went to a small private school I was familiar with. I have either a distant relative or family friend (shows how "familiar" I am with the school) who played quarterback there like 20 years ago. I proceed to tell him about it and then I completely blanked on the guys name when he asked me "Oh nice what is his name?" I looked him straight in the eye and just blurted out "Mike Johnson." 99.8% sure he knew I was straight up bullshitting.
Did she follow up on how killing people in ISIS is a crime, because pretty sure that's what Barry O. and the US armed forces intend to do...

ETA: btw, I would have said robbing a bank to pay off my loans without hesitation
I actually prefaced my answer by saying "not sure if this is a crime but...." I kind of wish I had an offer in hand before that screener so I could have said something totally off the wall just for kicks. Something like "Id rape all the victoria secret models" probably would have done the trick
Not funny bro.
What, didn't you know off the wall meant fucking creepy/rapey? How aspie are you?

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Are you sure you're not a sociopath?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:55 pm

Off-the-wall is "I'd rob a bank so I could buy all the plastic sheeting and baby oil on the west coast and turn Telegraph Hill into the world's largest slip-n-slide."

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:02 pm

Last edited by WhirledWorld on Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I actually prefaced my answer by saying "not sure if this is a crime but...." I kind of wish I had an offer in hand before that screener so I could have said something totally off the wall just for kicks. Something like "Id rape all the victoria secret models" probably would have done the trick

Druid

Silver

Post by Druid » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:08 pm

Yeah I wouldn't even hesitate to say "steal and sell the Crown Jewels." Also the rape thing was funny for it's shock value but c'mon bro NAGL

Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Post by Single-Malt-Liquor » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:45 pm

dafuq happened to this thread?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:46 pm

yeah seriously, pretty obvious I was joking and thinking of the most outrageous hypo that would make the interviewer as uncomfortable as possible. Considering how it got most of your panties in a twist, it would have worked well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Druid

Silver

Post by Druid » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:47 pm

Ah, the double down.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:yeah seriously, pretty obvious I was joking and thinking of the most outrageous hypo that would make the interviewer as uncomfortable as possible. Considering how it got most of your panties in a twist, it would have worked well.
lolitrollu

PvblivsScipio

Bronze

Post by PvblivsScipio » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:yeah seriously, pretty obvious I was joking and thinking of the most outrageous hypo that would make the interviewer as uncomfortable as possible. Considering how it got most of your panties in a twist, it would have worked well.
Master ruseman over here

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I kind of wish I had an offer in hand before that screener so I could have said something totally off the wall just for kicks. Something like "Id rape all the toys-r-us models" probably would have done the trick
Anonymous User wrote:pretty obvious I was joking and thinking of the most outrageous hypo that would make the interviewer as uncomfortable as possible.
FTFY

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:32 pm

Walk in and the lady has clearly been crying. I sit down, she asks me how I'm doing, say that I'm great, and ask her how she's doing. "Well, it's been a pretty rough day actually. Really rough." Then she sighs. She asks me one question and then, so what do you want to know about the firm? No problem, I've got a ton of questions. But I realize that she knows nothing about the firm that is applicable. She's a lateral, within a year or two, who doesn't know anything about the summer program, firm events, doesn't know anything outside of her tiny bubble of a couple attorneys in a practice area I know nothing about and have no interest in. I tried asking questions about that, and that didn't work. Ended up trying to pull teeth with questions about her hobbies and what she liked to do in the city to keep talking as much as possible before I could get the hell out of there.

notgreat

Silver

Post by notgreat » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:00 pm

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:dafuq happened to this thread?
Some bro wants to rape all of the Victoria Secret's models or something. People are understandably upset.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:08 am

You know when you walk into OCI in the middle of the afternoon since it's the only time that works with your class schedule and the interviewer is pissed that his afternoon replacement bailed on him?

Well, maybe not. But this guy was in a shit mood for having to conduct interviews from 9 AM through 6 PM, and having the 4:30 slot did not help. Sucks that it was my top choice in where I'd want to work.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 am

What kind of TTT has OCI during class?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:34 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:What kind of TTT has OCI during class?
And why wouldn't you just skip class? Professors universally understand that interviews > class.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:35 am

fundamentallybroken wrote:
Professors universally understand that interviews > class.
False

I had one threaten to dock my letter grade (during 1L) if I missed one more class for an interview with a firm. I had missed 2 classes previously, also for interviews. upper t14

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
False

I had one threaten to dock my letter grade (during 1L) if I missed one more class for an interview with a firm. I had missed 2 classes previously, also for interviews. upper t14
1L interviews are not 2L interviews

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:45 am

FKASunny wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
False

1L interviews are not 2L interviews

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:39 am

Screener with Gibson. Asked why I wanted to work at Gibson. Started talking about why I wanted to do litigation and then blurted out "And Gibson Dunn has litigation written all over it!" This was immediately followed by a moment of silence. No CB.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:47 am

Stanford4Me wrote:
FKASunny wrote: 1L interviews are not 2L interviews
Are you guys joking? A job interview is a job interview.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:31 am

Tanicius wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:
:roll:

McAvoy

Gold

Post by McAvoy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:33 am

ymmv wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Stanford4Me wrote:
:roll:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”