Bad Interview Moments Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Ally Mcbeal

Bronze

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Ally Mcbeal » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:02 pm

In the middle of an interview last week and my interviewer gets a text from his wife that her water broke. I screamed so...probably not getting hired lol.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:03 pm

Ally Mcbeal wrote:In the middle of an interview last week and my interviewer gets a text from his wife that her water broke. I screamed so...probably not getting hired lol.
You... screamed? So like did he describe the text to you and then you just AHHHH
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

totesTheGoat

Silver

Post by totesTheGoat » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:04 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
Ally Mcbeal wrote:In the middle of an interview last week and my interviewer gets a text from his wife that her water broke. I screamed so...probably not getting hired lol.
You... screamed? So like did he describe the text to you and then you just AHHHH
Curious as well... was this a "oh, i'm excited for you" yip, or was it a "that's horrifying" screech?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:04 pm

Great story. On the bright side, your screaming is probably low on the list of things that the interviewer will remember from that day. Also, he probably bolted from the office and thus didn't have time to submit an eval of your interview.

Ally Mcbeal

Bronze

Post by Ally Mcbeal » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:05 pm

Danger Zone wrote:
I basically was like "OMG!" and then excitedly (probably overly) congratulated him. Not like I shrieked or anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:07 pm

I had something much more hilarious going down in my head but that sounds like a normal reaction for a girl to have.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ally Mcbeal

Bronze

Post by Ally Mcbeal » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:09 pm

Danger Zone wrote:I had something much more hilarious going down in my head but that sounds like a normal reaction for a girl to have.
It probably could have been worse, but it was just so random. Also semi-awkward because another attorney took over for him and so I had to continue on with the interview as if nothing happened.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:26 pm

Can't decide if this was bad:

Have pittsburgh sports fan on resume. AM fan, but it was early monday and hadn't watched the game on sunday or read about it. Interviewer says "how about rothelesburger" who had just had season ending injury. I dislike the player, since he's a rapist, and gave sort of a dissapointed "yeah...." and we moved on to have a lovely interview otherewise.

This is an honors program so I've had plenty of time to stew on this. Bad?

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can't decide if this was bad:

Have pittsburgh sports fan on resume. AM fan, but it was early monday and hadn't watched the game on sunday or read about it. Interviewer says "how about rothelesburger" who had just had season ending injury. I dislike the player, since he's a rapist, and gave sort of a dissapointed "yeah...." and we moved on to have a lovely interview otherewise.

Not at all a horror story

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:59 pm

We are here to revel in bad interview stories, not help you cope with your insecurities.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:04 am

Weird anonybrag

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:10 am

El Pollito wrote:Weird anonybrag
Yeah, I was waiting for the part where the interviewee called out the interviewer for supporting a rapist. That would've been thread-worthy. But instead we just got a story about a "lovely interview." Not cool, anon.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:36 am

If all of your SA is a job interview, as is the common wisdom, then this lunch during my 1L SA should count. General background: It's a small but well-respected firm where I'd really like to get a job. The partners are laid-back but very intelligent and sophisticated, as well as at least somewhat judgmental. They're looking for a personality fit and similar traits. They hire 1L SA's because they only offer about one SA every 7 years, on average. My law school OCI director told me it's the best job that comes to campus in terms of pay vs. hours worked. The point? I want this job. Interview, check, callback, done, two weeks of summer OCI go great, and then...today.

It's a June day with perfect weather, and the partners are particularly talkative. Owing to that and sheer caprice and coincidence with various schedules, we head to lunch with a large group for us: three partners, two senior associates, and me. We're in the firm lobby, shooting the shit about where to go to lunch, and an "important" call comes for someone, then another, and then everyone (still in good spirits) decides we all just need to leave because we're 20 minutes late to lunch and fucking hungry. We hop in a partner's Yukon and hightail it to the outskirts of town, just for the hell of it, where we go to what is basically a truck stop / diner that is known to have great comfort food. It's packed, like 200 people in there. We find a table, and on the way I notice a chalkboard with SPECIAL at the top and several listings, too many to read as we quickly walk by. I do, however, notice at the very bottom there is listed: 2-pc Walleye with sides - $x.xx.

Now, I've always been a believer that you should order the special when you're out to lunch in this type of situation. I mean, it's the special, what could go wrong? It's all ready, it won't take long, they won't screw it up, and you won't stand out for ordering something strange. Besides, walleye sounded great. What a perfect day. Everyone in a great mood, going to this cool greasy spoon off the beaten path, laughing about it, and I ordered the special.

Well, shit. You know where this is heading.

The first problem is when the waitress nearly immediately brings the bread. Not bread for the table, but bread in a basket for one and handed directly to me. Despite the small basket, it's way too much bread. Like four hot wheat rolls with butter. Well, I'm cutting into the bread because goddamnit I'm going to eat whatever I get because IT'S THE SPECIAL, and all the lawyers are talking about real lawyer stuff and I'm trying to get in a word to offer this delicious hot pile of starch to other people. Then I realize that I don't have enough bread for everyone to get one, so this could get really awkward. So I'm eating bread. And the lawyers are talking. And looking at me. And talking. And I'm not offering anyone bread because they're talking and it's awkward and because math. But it's pretty good. And they're still looking at me because it's at least 45 minutes after everyone normally eats lunch and people are hungry.

Then comes a lengthy wait during which a few folks mention how busy it is and that they are hungry and could use some food. Alas, here comes the salad! Uh, turns out it's not for everyone. It's actually not for anyone else but me. Great, I love salad for lunch. So 90 seconds later the conversation between the real lawyers hits that awkward waiting-for-food lull when everyone has a conversation bubble above their heads that reads "I enjoyed that conversation, I guess, but I really want my french dip," and the managing partner breaks the silence by loudly asking me, with a special artificial, trochaic joviality reserved for cynical career litigators, "HOW'S the SAL-ad?" And I'm thinking "IT'S FUCKING DELICIOUS AND YOU WOULD LOVE IT" but I really just kind of meekly shrug and mutter, "Yeah, it's, uh, yeah, I think it's got homemade ranch." Silence. "And the tomatoes are ... beautiful." *poke at a cherry tomato* *fucking poke, poke, roll, look around* *shitthey'restilllookingatme, poke, it rolllllls away, STAB, roll, pick that bitch up with fingers, om nom*

I eat the beautiful tomatoes, all of them. And the ranch and romaine and whatever. The next ten minutes are awesome for me. Hell, I'm almost full. I don't even care about acting smart or sneaking in a response to a partner's long conversation about the enforceability of a contract with multiple contingent material terms including a commodity price that changed in a way not contemplated by the parties at formation. My eyes are open but my brain is saying, "Nap time, bitch."

Then the walleye comes. Two huge fillets with homemade creamy coleslaw on a 14" plate that dwarfs every other meal at the table. It's delicious. I eat it all. Don't get me wrong: I don't want to. I'm utterly stuffed after eating 52% of it, but I ordered this goddamned thing and I'm not going to be ungrateful on the firm's dime.

Moral of the story: Ordering the special for lunch at a greasy spoon is a good idea. Not noticing that you personally, individually ordered something under the "Family Dinner Special" heading at one of the most important lunches of your life is not such a good idea.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:If all of your SA is a job interview, as is the common wisdom, then this lunch during my 1L SA should count. General background: It's a small but well-respected firm where I'd really like to get a job. The partners are laid-back but very intelligent and sophisticated, as well as at least somewhat judgmental. They're looking for a personality fit and similar traits. They hire 1L SA's because they only offer about one SA every 7 years, on average. My law school OCI director told me it's the best job that comes to campus in terms of pay vs. hours worked. The point? I want this job. Interview, check, callback, done, two weeks of summer OCI go great, and then...today.

It's a June day with perfect weather, and the partners are particularly talkative. Owing to that and sheer caprice and coincidence with various schedules, we head to lunch with a large group for us: three partners, two senior associates, and me. We're in the firm lobby, shooting the shit about where to go to lunch, and an "important" call comes for someone, then another, and then everyone (still in good spirits) decides we all just need to leave because we're 20 minutes late to lunch and fucking hungry. We hop in a partner's Yukon and hightail it to the outskirts of town, just for the hell of it, where we go to what is basically a truck stop / diner that is known to have great comfort food. It's packed, like 200 people in there. We find a table, and on the way I notice a chalkboard with SPECIAL at the top and several listings, too many to read as we quickly walk by. I do, however, notice at the very bottom there is listed: 2-pc Walleye with sides - $x.xx.

Now, I've always been a believer that you should order the special when you're out to lunch in this type of situation. I mean, it's the special, what could go wrong? It's all ready, it won't take long, they won't screw it up, and you won't stand out for ordering something strange. Besides, walleye sounded great. What a perfect day. Everyone in a great mood, going to this cool greasy spoon off the beaten path, laughing about it, and I ordered the special.

The first problem is when the waitress nearly immediately brings the bread. Not bread for the table, but bread in a basket for one and handed directly to me. Despite the small basket, it's way too much bread. Like four hot wheat rolls with butter. Well, I'm cutting into the bread because goddamnit I'm going to eat whatever I get because IT'S THE SPECIAL, and all the lawyers are talking about real lawyer stuff and I'm trying to get in a word to offer this delicious hot pile of starch to other people. Then I realize that I don't have enough bread for everyone to get one, so this could get really awkward. So I'm eating bread. And the lawyers are talking. And looking at me. And talking. And I'm not offering anyone bread because they're talking and it's awkward and because math. But it's pretty good. And they're still looking at me because it's at least 45 minutes after everyone normally eats lunch and people are hungry.

Then comes a lengthy wait during which a few folks mention how busy it is and that they are hungry and could use some food. Alas, here comes the salad! Uh, turns out it's not for everyone. It's actually not for anyone else but me. Great, I love salad for lunch. So 90 seconds later the conversation between the real lawyers hits that awkward waiting-for-food lull when everyone has a conversation bubble above their heads that reads "I enjoyed that conversation, I guess, but I really want my french dip," and the managing partner breaks the silence by loudly asking me, with a special artificial, trochaic joviality reserved for cynical career litigators, "HOW'S the SAL-ad?" And I'm thinking "IT'S FUCKING DELICIOUS AND YOU WOULD LOVE IT" but I really just kind of meekly shrug and mutter, "Yeah, it's, uh, yeah, I think it's got homemade ranch." Silence. "And the tomatoes are ... beautiful." *poke at a cherry tomato* *fucking poke, poke, roll, look around* *shitthey'restilllookingatme, poke, roll, pick that bitch up with fingers, om nom*

I eat the beautiful tomatoes, all of them. And the ranch and romaine and whatever. The next ten minutes are awesome for me. Hell, I'm almost full. I don't even care about acting smart or sneaking in a response to a partner's long conversation about the enforceability of a contract with multiple contingent material terms including a commodity price that changed in a way not contemplated by the parties at formation. My eyes are open but my brain is saying, "Nap time, bitch."

Then the walleye comes. Two huge fillets with homemade creamy coleslaw on a 14" plate that dwarfs every other meal at the table. It's delicious. I eat it all. Don't get me wrong: I don't want to. I'm utterly stuffed after eating 52% of it, but I ordered this goddamned thing and I'm not going to be ungrateful on the firm's dime.

Moral of the story: Ordering the special for lunch at a greasy spoon is a good idea. Not noticing that you personally, individually ordered something under the "Family Dinner Special" heading at one of the most important lunches of your life is not such a good idea.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:If all of your SA is a job interview, as is the common wisdom, then this lunch during my 1L SA should count. General background: It's a small but well-respected firm where I'd really like to get a job. The partners are laid-back but very intelligent and sophisticated, as well as at least somewhat judgmental. They're looking for a personality fit and similar traits. They hire 1L SA's because they only offer about one SA every 7 years, on average. My law school OCI director told me it's the best job that comes to campus in terms of pay vs. hours worked. The point? I want this job. Interview, check, callback, done, two weeks of summer OCI go great, and then...today.

Then comes a lengthy wait during which a few folks mention how busy it is and that they are hungry and could use some food. Alas, here comes the salad! Uh, turns out it's not for everyone. It's actually not for anyone else but me. Great, I love salad for lunch. So 90 seconds later the conversation between the real lawyers hits that awkward waiting-for-food lull when everyone has a conversation bubble above their heads that reads "I enjoyed that conversation, I guess, but I really want my french dip," and the managing partner breaks the silence by loudly asking me, with a special artificial, trochaic joviality reserved for cynical career litigators, "HOW'S the SAL-ad?" And I'm thinking "IT'S FUCKING DELICIOUS AND YOU WOULD LOVE IT" but I really just kind of meekly shrug and mutter, "Yeah, it's, uh, yeah, I think it's got homemade ranch." Silence. "And the tomatoes are ... beautiful." *poke at a cherry tomato* *fucking poke, poke, roll, look around* *shitthey'restilllookingatme, poke, it rolllllls away, STAB, roll, pick that bitch up with fingers, om nom*

I kept waiting for the punchline, but it never came. You owe me 3 minutes of my life back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:45 am

Sorry, homie, you don't always get a punchline. You weren't promised comedy, just awkwardness.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry, homie, you don't always get a punchline. You weren't promised comedy, just awkwardness.
It's like, only mildly awkward and could have been described in about one paragraph instead of 8.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:48 am

My bad, what I meant to post is: I ordered a big meal at lunch once and got served a bunch of food and it was awkward. Anonymous poster over and out.

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:56 am

now when s/he gets no-offered s/he'll never know if its for the awkward lunch or being absurdly long-winded and wasting everyone's time

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:57 am

^accidental anon

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:26 am

So I take it you aren't a Steelers fan?

None of this sounds bad.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hdunlop

Bronze

Post by hdunlop » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:20 am

Walleye is delicious

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:42 am

eating ridiculous amounts of food as an SA is what you are supposed to do. its like the partners whose metabolisms have gone to shit live vicariously through it. i cherished those awkward moments when the partner forced me to order and eat dessert alone while he/she watched and drank decaf.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:44 am

wtf was that lunch story all about?

DELG

Gold

Post by DELG » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:49 am

IDK I think the lunch story about weirdly eating too much food while everyone talks over your head like you're a toddler is pretty bad

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”