Bad Interview Moments Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Druid

Silver

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Druid » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:40 pm

It's really fucking unprofessional to ask someone to sing on the spot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote: Under that scenario, a former chef had better be prepared to cook. You do know that the things on your resume are there so that you can talk about them and how the experience might be relevant. A resume isnt a freaking menu of talents that can be called upon at the interview.
I doubt that anyone would equate being a chef with being a performer, unless perhaps you worked on the food network channel. regardless, under that scenario, one would not be prepared to cook for the reason I just mentioned, as well as practicality.

- heavoldgotjuice

heavoldgotjuice

Bronze

Post by heavoldgotjuice » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:44 pm

Druid wrote:It's really fucking unprofessional to ask someone to sing on the spot.
Might as well walk out of the room that moment then huh

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:45 pm

Druid wrote:It's really fucking unprofessional to ask someone to sing on the spot.
It's a little awkward at worst.

Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Post by Single-Malt-Liquor » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Single-Malt-Liquor wrote: Under that scenario, a former chef had better be prepared to cook. You do know that the things on your resume are there so that you can talk about them and how the experience might be relevant. A resume isnt a freaking menu of talents that can be called upon at the interview.
I doubt that anyone would equate being a chef with being a performer, unless perhaps you worked on the food network channel. regardless, under that scenario, one would not be prepared to cook for the reason I just mentioned, as well as practicality.

- heavoldgotjuice
Only if the talent/skill was relevant to the job. While I dont think I would do it, I dont have a problem with an interviewer conducting an interview in a language that the interviewer said they were fluent in. But that's not the scenario with a singer applying for a firm job. Would it be appropriate for someone who put weight-lifting on their resume to be asked to lift something in the room?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Druid

Silver

Post by Druid » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:48 pm

El Pollito wrote:
It can be normal if the personalities at play can handle it. But an interview isn't a talent show, and it seems kind of demeaning to ask someone to put theirs pipes on display in the middle of a white-collar interview.

FKASunny

Gold

Post by FKASunny » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Druid wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
It can be normal if the personalities at play can handle it. But an interview isn't a talent show, and it seems kind of demeaning to ask someone to put theirs pipes on display in the middle of a white-collar interview.
"It says here you're a musician. Did you bring a demo? No? What else can we tell you about the firm?

Druid

Silver

Post by Druid » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:51 pm

heavoldgotjuice wrote:
Fuck no. You sing until they start calling you Maya Angelou.

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:51 pm

Druid wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
Depends on context I guess. Could be aspie AF or totally harmless and lighthearted.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Single-Malt-Liquor

Silver

Post by Single-Malt-Liquor » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:52 pm

You know, this is why I left amateur masseuse off my resume.

heavoldgotjuice

Bronze

Post by heavoldgotjuice » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:54 pm

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:You know, this is why I left amateur masseuse off my resume.
lmao

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:54 pm

Single-Malt-Liquor wrote:You know, this is why I left amateur masseuse off my resume.
:lol:

Druid

Silver

Post by Druid » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:56 pm

El Pollito wrote:
Druid wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
Depends on context I guess. Could be aspie AF or totally harmless and lighthearted.
I was just thinking in the context of your typical wide-eyed 2L, but if the person had 15 years experience as a singer then I bet there's not as much of a power dynamic involved and your original intuition that it's a little awkward at worst is likely the truth.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:57 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:my phone rang twice during an interview once - I had silenced it but its been glitchy recently. partner acted like it was nothing and I almost bought that he sincerely didn't care, but of course, I did not receive an offer. could have been that or any number of other things
If you knew it was being glitchy, you didn't just power it off...why?
I don't really want to belabor the point, but my phone doesn't power off. It's an iPhone 5 with a very badly cracked screen and the power switch on the top right no longer functions. I've been waiting for iPhone 6 to come out next week to replace it.

I take my phone with me for directions to find the offices. Yes, I could leave my phone at home and print directions or something, but it's just getting too convoluted.

Sounds like phone making noise during interview is auto-ding material though from the responses. Kinda figured lol.

HankBashir

Silver

Post by HankBashir » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:26 am

jbagelboy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:my phone rang twice during an interview once - I had silenced it but its been glitchy recently. partner acted like it was nothing and I almost bought that he sincerely didn't care, but of course, I did not receive an offer. could have been that or any number of other things
I don't really want to belabor the point, but my phone doesn't power off. It's an iPhone 5 with a very badly cracked screen and the power switch on the top right no longer functions. I've been waiting for iPhone 6 to come out next week to replace it.

I take my phone with me for directions to find the offices. Yes, I could leave my phone at home and print directions or something, but it's just getting too convoluted.

Sounds like phone making noise during interview is auto-ding material though from the responses. Kinda figured lol.
My iPhone has been randomly switching from silent to ring (I think the switch on the side is fucked) so I just put it on do not disturb and switch it to silent.

heavoldgotjuice

Bronze

Post by heavoldgotjuice » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:28 am

Airplane mode

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:46 am

jbagelboy wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Jeezus when did this thread turn from cool stories about people taking the blame for partner farts

to lame shit like "I didn't turn my phone off and it buzzed whoopsie"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

salix

New

Post by salix » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:48 am

Druid wrote:
heavoldgotjuice wrote:
Fuck no. You sing until they start calling you Maya Angelou.
:twisted:

Sing, and appreciate your cage.

beepboopbeep

Gold

Post by beepboopbeep » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:52 am

I'll share some. Fuck anon posting.

At one screener, got a little too honest and let slip that I'd heard horror stories about the "up-or-out" policies at a particular NYC firm. Interviewers grimace and try to play it off, but were clearly bothered.

At another, was talking bar trivia team names and cool associate let slip that his team in law school was a play on herpes/per stirpes. I proceeded to talk about how I think there actually is a cure for herpes now, in a way that made it sound like I had personal experience with the subject. I do not. Also I'm pretty sure I was wrong about there being a cure for herpes.

At a third, was talking about my undergrad major and how I would probably do something different if given the opportunity to redo. Mentioned that the department was very disorganized and required successful students to be self-starters. Realized that saying this after saying I regretted doing said major = "I am not a self-starter".

heavoldgotjuice

Bronze

Post by heavoldgotjuice » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:15 am

I hocked a loogie during my screener with a Delaware firm. smoked too much the day before

El Pollito

Diamond

Post by El Pollito » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:22 am

Lol at the herpes name and debacle.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:17 pm

2 more:

1. Had a skype screener about 2 weeks ago with a regional firm from my home state. I was not that into it and was really just hoping to cancel it before hand after getting an OCI offer but had not gotten one yet. It is going normally and until she prefaces the last question with the following: "This is a really weird question but . . . ." She proceeds to ask me "If you could get away with any crime what would it be?"

I am like ummmmmm, and start panicking because while the obvious answer probably has to do with stealing, I figured that was what they were looking for so I proceed to say, "I would go to Iraq and kill everyone in ISIS." So yeah..... she thinks I am a sociopath. I figured it was a decent answer because it was not stealing and was patriotic but yeah.... I think I pulled that one out of my ass because I had a blow out with a friend about Gitmo the night before.

2. I had an OCI interview that I signed up for in a market I was not that interested in. I noticed before hand that one of the interviewers went to a small private school I was familiar with. I have either a distant relative or family friend (shows how "familiar" I am with the school) who played quarterback there like 20 years ago. I proceed to tell him about it and then I completely blanked on the guys name when he asked me "Oh nice what is his name?" I looked him straight in the eye and just blurted out "Mike Johnson." 99.8% sure he knew I was straight up bullshitting.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2 more:

1. Had a skype screener about 2 weeks ago with a regional firm from my home state. I was not that into it and was really just hoping to cancel it before hand after getting an OCI offer but had not gotten one yet. It is going normally and until she prefaces the last question with the following: "This is a really weird question but . . . ." She proceeds to ask me "If you could get away with any crime what would it be?"

I am like ummmmmm, and start panicking because while the obvious answer probably has to do with stealing, I figured that was what they were looking for so I proceed to say, "I would go to Iraq and kill everyone in ISIS." So yeah..... she thinks I am a sociopath. I figured it was a decent answer because it was not stealing and was patriotic but yeah.... I think I pulled that one out of my ass because I had a blow out with a friend about Gitmo the night before.

2. I had an OCI interview that I signed up for in a market I was not that interested in. I noticed before hand that one of the interviewers went to a small private school I was familiar with. I have either a distant relative or family friend (shows how "familiar" I am with the school) who played quarterback there like 20 years ago. I proceed to tell him about it and then I completely blanked on the guys name when he asked me "Oh nice what is his name?" I looked him straight in the eye and just blurted out "Mike Johnson." 99.8% sure he knew I was straight up bullshitting.
Did she follow up on how killing people in ISIS is a crime, because pretty sure that's what Barry O. and the US armed forces intend to do...

ETA: btw, I would have said robbing a bank to pay off my loans without hesitation

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:26 pm

Flips88 wrote:

Did she follow up on how killing people in ISIS is a crime, because pretty sure that's what Barry O. and the US armed forces intend to do...

ETA: btw, I would have said robbing a bank to pay off my loans without hesitation
I actually prefaced my answer by saying "not sure if this is a crime but...." I kind of wish I had an offer in hand before that screener so I could have said something totally off the wall just for kicks. Something like "Id rape all the victoria secret models" probably would have done the trick

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

I actually prefaced my answer by saying "not sure if this is a crime but...." I kind of wish I had an offer in hand before that screener so I could have said something totally off the wall just for kicks. Something like "Id rape all the victoria secret models" probably would have done the trick
:|

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”