Bad Interview Moments Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:01 pm

Just received a phone call from a firm I mass-mailed. I was asked whether I was leaning towards litigation or transactional work. I replied that I was interested in both but had a leaning towards litigation. She responded that the firm was almost solely transactional. Tried to recover as best I could by mentioning that I was very interested in transactional work and was taking a negotiations class this coming semester. Fawk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just received a phone call from a firm I mass-mailed. I was asked whether I was leaning towards litigation or transactional work. I replied that I was interested in both but had a leaning towards litigation. She responded that the firm was almost solely transactional. Tried to recover as best I could by mentioning that I was very interested in transactional work and was taking a negotiations class this coming semester. Fawk.
Yeah, that was unfair of her to ask the question like that IMO. One, rising 2Ls don't even really know what litigation or transaction mean. Two, she asked it all sneakily as if you had a choice.

Hope you can recover, bro.

I've spoken with several interviewers, and sometimes they say that they just ask that question to get a feel for the student but don't see it as a commitment or anything because they know that most 1Ls don't know what the fuck lit or corp is.

Randomnumbers

Bronze

Post by Randomnumbers » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:21 pm

Yeah but the least you should do before you interview with a firm is know what kind of work they do. It's not too much to ask - just check the nalp practice areas. That's a pretty low bar to expect an applicant to reach.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just received a phone call from a firm I mass-mailed. I was asked whether I was leaning towards litigation or transactional work. I replied that I was interested in both but had a leaning towards litigation. She responded that the firm was almost solely transactional. Tried to recover as best I could by mentioning that I was very interested in transactional work and was taking a negotiations class this coming semester. Fawk.
Anonymous User wrote:Interviewer: "with your background, it looks like you are well-suited for a corporate practice"
Me "absolutely. Blah, blah, love corporate"
Interviewer: "you do realize our firm is almost entirely litigation, right?"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, that was unfair of her to ask the question like that IMO. One, rising 2Ls don't even really know what litigation or transaction mean. Two, she asked it all sneakily as if you had a choice.

Hope you can recover, bro.

I've spoken with several interviewers, and sometimes they say that they just ask that question to get a feel for the student but don't see it as a commitment or anything because they know that most 1Ls don't know what the fuck lit or corp is.
Yeah, it's the equivalent of asking whether I want a ham sandwich or a turkey sandwich and then saying they don't have turkey. Oh well, another one bites the dust...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:26 am

Randomnumbers wrote:Yeah but the least you should do before you interview with a firm is know what kind of work they do. It's not too much to ask - just check the nalp practice areas. That's a pretty low bar to expect an applicant to reach.
Yeah, but it seems like the firm recruiter just called him and asked him the question. It's not like he walked into the interview room blind.

I would be the same way. I mass mail a ton of firms. If one random one from Smith, Jones, and Brown called me, I wouldn't be able to recall of the top of my head whether they did lit or not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Randomnumbers wrote:Yeah but the least you should do before you interview with a firm is know what kind of work they do. It's not too much to ask - just check the nalp practice areas. That's a pretty low bar to expect an applicant to reach.
Yeah, but it seems like the firm recruiter just called him and asked him the question. It's not like he walked into the interview room blind.

I would be the same way. I mass mail a ton of firms. If one random one from Smith, Jones, and Brown called me, I wouldn't be able to recall of the top of my head whether they did lit or not.
Original anon. I've mass mailed ~200 firms thus far and haven't been discriminating with regards to practice area(s). I wasn't able to pull up their NALP profile before the question was asked. Regardless, it was probably a fatal mistake. I won't be holding my breath for this one. Sucks, though, because it's a great mid-sized firm and in the market closest to my hometown.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:35 am

In a callback, meeting with the hiring partner. Asked him if he could change anything about the firm, what it would be. For future reference, I'm a suburban white male, k-JD.

He starts talking about how the firm is really trying to improve its diversity, how they're really committed to their diversity programs, how important it is to get people of different backgrounds and experiences, how the clientele is changing and it's important to have associates who can make a personal connection with them, how they bring a different lens to view complicated legal issues with, yada yada yada.

Me: Could you maybe forget about that when you decide whether to hire me?

Offer.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:07 am

Did you get an interview, or was she just like "mmkay bye."

If it was just a recruiting person who called, and you got an interview, then I wouldn't sweat it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:21 am

Before you comment on another person's post, reading the actual post and having a comprehension of it at a level better than a five year old is an even lower bar to expect of someone on a forum frequented almost entirely by law school students and lawyers.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:In a callback, meeting with the hiring partner. Asked him if he could change anything about the firm, what it would be. For future reference, I'm a suburban white male, k-JD.

He starts talking about how the firm is really trying to improve its diversity, how they're really committed to their diversity programs, how important it is to get people of different backgrounds and experiences, how the clientele is changing and it's important to have associates who can make a personal connection with them, how they bring a different lens to view complicated legal issues with, yada yada yada.

Me: Could you maybe forget about that when you decide whether to hire me?

Offer.
As a URM I find this absolutely hilarious. Glad you had the balls to say it and even happier you got an offer from it lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:35 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:

If it was just a recruiting person who called, and you got an interview, then I wouldn't sweat it.
The firm is in a different city than my school, so she asked if I had plans to be in the area at any point in the near future. I said I didn't. She told me to let her know if I ended up being in the area so that they could schedule an interview. She then said that they would be making callback decisions soon and that perhaps I would hear from them. Not sure how to interpret all that...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:50 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Strangest interview ever. Struck out at OCI, so did the mass mail gig and played to my strengths. Targeted offices abroad by directly emailing partners after preliminary research on whose practices were expanding.

So one night I am dead asleep and get a phone call around 3:00am. My gal at the time lived abroad. I see the number and it looks like a standard foreign call. Must be the gal.

Pick up. "Hey babe, how are you? [insert random sexual comment]."

"Hi...this is [Partner X from Firm Y], who were you expecting?"

I nearly shit myself. Met most of the staff at that outpost via Skype that evening. Offer came in.

No planning or forewarning on the call btw.

NOT a flame.
Did you take the offer? If so, I wonder what your interactions with him will be like this summer.
OP here. Took it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

El Dangeroso

New

Post by El Dangeroso » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:00 pm

At a CB in a room with a panel of four or five partners, several of whom are alums of my school. We're discussing professors and one of the partners is talking about his favorite professor and how he made an impact on him, yada yada. The name of the professor sounded vaguely familiar to me, so I say "I've never had professor so and so but I've heard from my classmates that he is phenomenal." After an awkward silence one of the partners says "professor so and so died several years ago." I can't remember if that was before or after my phone went off. No offer.

At lunch following a CB one of the associates made a passing remark about drug use in professional athletics. I spent the next five minutes recounting, in detail, the story of Dock Ellis's no hitter, which he claimed to have thrown while tripping on LSD. Awkward silence, followed by forced topic change. No offer.

horseradish

New

Post by horseradish » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

The firm is in a different city than my school, so she asked if I had plans to be in the area at any point in the near future. I said I didn't. She told me to let her know if I ended up being in the area so that they could schedule an interview. She then said that they would be making callback decisions soon and that perhaps I would hear from them. Not sure how to interpret all that...

Umm...that sounds like they want to schedule an interview with you. You should probably call back and tell them you will travel to x city for an interview (assuming you want the job).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Partner spends 80% of the interview talking about how profits per partner are down and the most important thing for the firm is to keep the rainmakers sated so they won't bail on the firm and ruin everything, how they've overexpanded and now have to cut but it's tough because it's people blah blah blah.

Last 20% of the interview is me fumbling his only question "so, tell me why you want to work here..."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Partner spends 80% of the interview talking about how profits per partner are down and the most important thing for the firm is to keep the rainmakers sated so they won't bail on the firm and ruin everything, how they've overexpanded and now have to cut but it's tough because it's people blah blah blah.

Last 20% of the interview is me fumbling his only question "so, tell me why you want to work here..."
Do you mind posting what firm this was?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

frankc

New

Post by frankc » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:21 pm

El Dangeroso wrote:At lunch following a CB one of the associates made a passing remark about drug use in professional athletics. I spent the next five minutes recounting, in detail, the story of Dock Ellis's no hitter, which he claimed to have thrown while tripping on LSD. Awkward silence, followed by forced topic change. No offer.
The reason you didn't get the offer isn't the drug content, it's because you told a boring-ass story and it was probably super awkward. That is not a five minutes story, that is a 1-2 sentence story, especially if you're just going off of a passing remark.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:32 pm

Screener for a twin cities firm, when I'm actually targeting other markets. I think I sold my (completely fictional) desire to live in a mid-sized, friendly midwestern market like MSP pretty well. The interviewer even gave me the great opening "and you play hockey! Of course you would like Minneapolis!"

I responded to that with "Absolutely! In fact, one of my long-time favorite players is now on the Wild...oh, wait, that's in Minnesota." As if MSP were not in Minnesota and the Wild didn't play in St Paul. :|

It was sort of a moment when both interviewers and I were all sort of talking over each other enthusiastically, so I'm hoping they didn't notice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:26 pm

horseradish wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

Umm...that sounds like they want to schedule an interview with you. You should probably call back and tell them you will travel to x city for an interview (assuming you want the job).
I'd like to work for them, but I'm reluctant to spend my own money on airfare for a screener...

El Dangeroso

New

Post by El Dangeroso » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:42 pm

frankc wrote:
El Dangeroso wrote:At lunch following a CB one of the associates made a passing remark about drug use in professional athletics. I spent the next five minutes recounting, in detail, the story of Dock Ellis's no hitter, which he claimed to have thrown while tripping on LSD. Awkward silence, followed by forced topic change. No offer.
The reason you didn't get the offer isn't the drug content, it's because you told a boring-ass story and it was probably super awkward. That is not a five minutes story, that is a 1-2 sentence story, especially if you're just going off of a passing remark.
Does that somehow mean it's not a "bad interview moment?" What the what?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

frankc

New

Post by frankc » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:09 am

El Dangeroso wrote:
frankc wrote:
Does that somehow mean it's not a "bad interview moment?" What the what?
No it's totally a bad interview moment, I just got the sense that the poster was trying to imply that him discussing drugs led to him not getting an offer rather than his weird tangent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:06 am

Not quite a bad interview moment, but I was pretty sure at some point this past week at a callback that a senior associate at a V10 firm was hitting on me HARD. (I'm a relatively attractive and slightly effete gay boy...) I thought I was hallucinating at first, but there were too many suggestive sentences for it to be a coincidence: "So we're looking for a candidate who might be... *receptive* to our needs..." and "Are you a team player?" (asked with a mischievous grin)

Once I figured it out, I had to quickly acknowledge what he was saying with a straight face: "Yes, evidently I am receptive, and I am of course willing to do whatever might be required to fulfill expectations. If a partner -- or a senior associate -- has work needs, of course he should feel free to, you know, pull me aside into his office and give it to me. Anything I can do to be of service, I am of course willing to do -- I am a team player." And when leaving: "It would be my pleasure to work under you next summer." (My downward gaze flickers upwards to meet his only upon pronouncing the word "under")

Offer. What can I say? V10 is V10.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not quite a bad interview moment, but I was pretty sure at some point this past week at a callback that a senior associate at a V10 firm was hitting on me HARD. (I'm a relatively attractive and slightly effete gay boy...) I thought I was hallucinating at first, but there were too many suggestive sentences for it to be a coincidence: "So we're looking for a candidate who might be... *receptive* to our needs..." and "Are you a team player?" (asked with a mischievous grin)

Once I figured it out, I had to quickly acknowledge what he was saying with a straight face: "Yes, evidently I am receptive, and I am of course willing to do whatever might be required to fulfill expectations. If a partner -- or a senior associate -- has work needs, of course he should feel free to, you know, pull me aside into his office and give it to me. Anything I can do to be of service, I am of course willing to do -- I am a team player." And when leaving: "It would be my pleasure to work under you next summer." (My downward gaze rises to meet his only upon pronouncing the word "under")

Offer. What can I say? V10 is V10.
If true, fucking BAWSS

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I'd like to work for them, but I'm reluctant to spend my own money on airfare for a screener...
So you already have an offer then since you are passing up an interview opportunity? An opportunity at a place you would want to work?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”