Bad Interview Moments Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Chicago_Dog

New

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by Chicago_Dog » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:11 pm

I interviewed with the satellite office of a larger firm. Office had about 50 attorneys.

During my callback I met with 7 or 8 attorneys -- Jim, Scott, Brian, Eric, Ivan, Ben, Bill, and Mark. I thought it was a bit odd to meet with all dudes since, as a female candidate, firms usually make a point of putting me with one or two women who talk about how the firm is a great place for women.

So after meeting with all those guys in the morning I went to lunch with two female associates. When we sat down to lunch, they asked me who I met with and after telling them the list of guys I jokingly said, "so, are you two the only women who work here?"

Their response: yes, actually, we are the only 2 female attorneys in this office. All of the senior level women walked out in protest recently after every one failed to make partner (for those interested, the firm gave paid maternity leave BUT didn't reduce the billable hour requirements for associates on maternity leave. So a bunch of lady attorneys took a month or two off after having a kid then went back to billing 200 hours a month as usual. They only realized that the 200+ hours they didn't bill while they were out on leave DID count against them when they were up for partnership and got passed over).

My face said it all. Did not recover from it. Did not get an offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:15 pm

Chicago_Dog wrote:I interviewed with the satellite office of a larger firm. Office had about 50 attorneys.

During my callback I met with 7 or 8 attorneys -- Jim, Scott, Brian, Eric, Ivan, Ben, Bill, and Mark. I thought it was a bit odd to meet with all dudes since, as a female candidate, firms usually make a point of putting me with one or two women who talk about how the firm is a great place for women.

So after meeting with all those guys in the morning I went to lunch with two female associates. When we sat down to lunch, they asked me who I met with and after telling them the list of guys I jokingly said, "so, are you two the only women who work here?"

Their response: yes, actually, we are the only 2 female attorneys in this office. All of the senior level women walked out in protest recently after every one failed to make partner (for those interested, the firm gave paid maternity leave BUT didn't reduce the billable hour requirements for associates on maternity leave. So a bunch of lady attorneys took a month or two off after having a kid then went back to billing 200 hours a month as usual. They only realized that the 200+ hours they didn't bill while they were out on leave DID count against them when they were up for partnership and got passed over).

Is this not a prima facie case for pregnancy discrimination?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Chicago_Dog wrote:I interviewed with the satellite office of a larger firm. Office had about 50 attorneys.

I thought so. Crazy behavior for a law firm, right?

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Just so you know before you start working L+E, that isn't pregnancy discrimination at all. HTH

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:39 pm

Me: so why did you pick this firm?

Interviewer/Associate: I just needed a job. This was the only place I got an offer from. [babbles for a bit about horrible callback interviews she had then asks me if I'm judging her then tells me about how she cries at work all the time because its stressful]

No offer. To be fair, I just sat there looking dumbfounded for a few seconds because I didn't know how to respond right away.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:38 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Just so you know before you start working L+E, that isn't pregnancy discrimination at all. HTH
It should be though.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Me: so why did you pick this firm?

Interviewer/Associate: I just needed a job. This was the only place I got an offer from. [babbles for a bit about horrible callback interviews she had then asks me if I'm judging her then tells me about how she cries at work all the time because its stressful]

No offer. To be fair, I just sat there looking dumbfounded for a few seconds because I didn't know how to respond right away.
Bullet dodged.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:15 pm

I was at a firm and had 5 20- or 30-minute interviews with various partners, associates, etc. One associate asked me a few perfunctory questions about myself that took a few minutes, then asked if I had any questions for her. I kept asking her questions, aware that we had only been talking for a short time. After my third question she said, you know it's ok to not ask questions, right? I took the hint and told her she had covered everything. She brought me to my next interview early, which threw off everyone's schedule for the rest of the rotation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:16 pm

I was at a firm and had 5 20- or 30-minute interviews with various partners, associates, etc. One associate asked me a few perfunctory questions about myself that took a few minutes, then asked if I had any questions for her. I kept asking her questions, aware that we had only been talking for a short time. After my third question she said, you know it's ok to not ask questions, right? I took the hint and told her she had covered everything. She brought me to my next interview early, which threw off everyone's schedule for the rest of the rotation.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:16 pm

Interviewer: Do you have any questions for me?
Me: Yes -- why did you choose to come to this firm?
Interviewer: Because it was the next rung up on the ladder.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:16 pm

Screener. I was saying why I liked his firm, and the partner busted out laughing at my answer. Then he asked me about my work experience and said "I doubt it" about three times in a row.

I kept my cool but wow, was I pissed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:37 pm

Me: *Question about capital markets practice

Interviewer: Let me just stop you there. It's been ten minutes and you haven't even asked about our international work. I don't think you're a good fit for *firm*. I'm gonna stop the interview and just give you some advice. I'll try to be as nice as possible. We're looking for internationally minded people and frankly I'm worried that your Midwestern personality wouldn't make it in a big New York firm. Are there any lawyers in your family?

Me: No, none.

Interviewer: I see.

Me: Can I just go to my next screener so I'm not late, please?

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Screener. I was saying why I liked his firm, and the partner busted out laughing at my answer. Then he asked me about my work experience and said "I doubt it" about three times in a row.

This is great.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Screener. I was saying why I liked his firm, and the partner busted out laughing at my answer. Then he asked me about my work experience and said "I doubt it" about three times in a row.

At Penn, interviewed with a couple Philly firms without much reason to (although I do kind of like the city). Gave one of the guys my rehearsed "why Philly" bit when asked and he stopped me after about 10 words with "I know you're bullshitting me but it's ok" -> CB

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

At Penn, interviewed with a couple Philly firms without much reason to (although I do kind of like the city). Gave one of the guys my rehearsed "why Philly" bit when asked and he stopped me after about 10 words with "I know you're bullshitting me but it's ok" -> CB
The thing that pissed me off the most is that it was my least bullshit screener.

I have the unfortunate quality of seeming more sincere when I'm bullshitting because my "natural self" is a weirdo (see also: aspie). Oh well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The thing that pissed me off the most is that it was my least bullshit screener.

I have the unfortunate quality of seeming more sincere when I'm bullshitting because my "natural self" is a weirdo (see also: aspie). Oh well.
I can definitely relate as well--when I'm being sincere I tend to babble and probably is very unconvincing (also aspie)

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:20 pm

At a callback, one partner started talking about his new car. I reflexively said, "Cool story, bro" because I'm so used to saying it to my friends.

No offer. To be fair it was a very uninteresting story.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:23 pm

An older partner from Seward & Kissel asked me "what were you like in high school" within the first couple minutes of a screener.

no CB and I ended up at a firm in the same (fairly small) building for 1L summer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:32 pm

JenDarby wrote:An older partner from Seward & Kissel asked me "what were you like in high school" within the first couple minutes of a screener.

no CB and I ended up at a firm in the same (fairly small) building for 1L summer
Hah. This is especially funny because all of the ones I met were massive nerds. Which way were they discriminating, I wonder?

I had an interview moment with them that I enjoyed, but that was probably technically "bad." I expressed an interest in a certain practice group, and my interviewer said, totally seriously, "they'll be happy to hear that, because no one ever wants to work with them." I thought it was funny, but when I told the story to a friend, he looked horrified.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:32 pm

Screener and the interviewer asked: "So tell me about the arguments you made in X project on your resume?

Me: Well, I argued X, Y, and Z for these reasons. [I won't bore you to death with what I actually argued in this undergrad project.]

Interviewer: I could probably tear all those arguments apart... *laughter*

Me: *Most fake haha of my life*... Yeah.

Rejection letter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:17 pm

Interviewer took me down to the firm cafeteria to talk over coffee. I swallowed some coffee down the wrong pipe and spent half the interview coughing violently while trying to talk at the same time. Still got the offer

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I can definitely relate as well--when I'm being sincere I tend to babble and probably is very unconvincing (also aspie)
Yep same. It's a similar phenomenon to being able to effortlessly flirt with girls once you're married. If the pressure is completely off it's so easy to be normal and likable. Once you want something, forget it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:31 am

Professional poker on resume.

Interviewer opens with he is in gamblers anonymous.

I jumped straight to my volunteer (no other professional) experiences but I could tell he kept looking at the professional poker line.

No surprise I was dinged.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:46 pm

First callback. Didn't know wtf i was doing when first receiving CBs, so I scheduled an out-and-back in the same day. I have to wake up around 3:30am for my flight. I purchased 5 hour energy extra shots ahead of time so I don't have to pee a lot, but decided to steep some cold brew overnight to get me going in the morning, since it's early. My flight is delayed, so despite not planning to have coffee, I bought some starbucks. On the plane, I was feeling groggy so I got some more coffee. Then, as planned, and despite having had all this coffee, I take a 5 hour extra shot while descending. When we land I was feeling a bit out of it—light headed and a bit nauseous. Figured it must be the time of day, so I have the other 5 hour energy extra shot...

I get near baggage claim and head into the bathroom and start puking my guts out into a trashcan. Janitor pats me on the back and tells me to "get it all out, brother." I'm flush, my heart is racing, and I can't stop dry heaving... After doing the math on everything I drank, I realize I seriously fucked up and essentially OD'd on caffeine. (I should add, I'm not a breakfast guy, so all this was on an empty stomach.)

Thankfully I landed way early and it had mostly worn off by the interview. However, it did not help that my first interview was in a windowless room, teleconferencing with the recruiter in another office.

TL;DR—First call back; OD'd on caffeine

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:47 am

Damn, hope ya brought a toothbrush
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”