Bad Interview Moments Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
somewhatwayward

Silver

Re: Bad Interview Moments

Post by somewhatwayward » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:46 am

adammac17 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Screener. Had just transferred from lower T1 with LSAT median around 163 to MVP. Interviewer says something that basically is like "haha now you can go around and tell people you got a 175 on your LSAT and no one will know you're lying." Dumb thing of him to say, and I think he realized as it came out of his mouth that he probably shouldn't say that. Stupid, stupid, stupid, I couldn't let it go. Should have just been like, "yeah, it's nice to be here" and moved on.

Instead, I blurted out "I got a 177."

Silence. Awkward silence.

No CB.
Are you Joefish? Cuz you sound like Joefish irl.......god were glad you transfered
LOL

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:09 pm

had an interview where the person couldn't seem to figure out what type of law the agency I interned at did. The type of law is in the name of the agency (and in my description on my resume). It's a well known federal agency.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:19 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:
adammac17 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Screener. Had just transferred from lower T1 with LSAT median around 163 to MVP. Interviewer says something that basically is like "haha now you can go around and tell people you got a 175 on your LSAT and no one will know you're lying." Dumb thing of him to say, and I think he realized as it came out of his mouth that he probably shouldn't say that. Stupid, stupid, stupid, I couldn't let it go. Should have just been like, "yeah, it's nice to be here" and moved on.

Instead, I blurted out "I got a 177."

Silence. Awkward silence.

No CB.
Are you Joefish? Cuz you sound like Joefish irl.......god were glad you transfered
LOL
180 would read again. I also like how the poaster edited out the last part but it was already too late.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:31 pm

I had an interview recently just with a junior associate who told me he only took this job because he needed any job. He made it seem like this was not a happy place to work and he certainly wasn't happy to be there. It was uncomfortable.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:53 pm

A junior associate at my firm got in trouble ( ie called into the partners office and lectured to) for being honest about his evening and weekend hours in an interview.

If someone tells you the truth as they see it about a firm, don't out them to recruiting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rocío

Bronze

Post by Rocío » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:10 pm

This is from a post-college, pre-law school job interview, but is one of my favorites. My interviewer was a young woman, probably in her late twenties. She asks me about some of my jobs and internships on my resume. I interned for a city councillor for a couple summers in college, and she asks me: "So, I don't know if this is a stupid question, but what does a city councillor do?" I am silent because I am not quite sure what she is getting at. I respond, "what do you mean? As in, generally, what does a city councillor do?" My interviewer responds, "yeah, I mean, I just don't know what city council is. Can you explain it?"

I respond, "Um . . . So I guess think of the mayor of a city like he is the President of the United States. Then the city council would be like Congress, but on a city level. So the mayor is the city executive power, and city council is a city legislature." My interviewer says, "OK, thanks, I just was never really sure." I mutter, "yeah, it's confusing." Also, I was explaining this in the nicest most non-judgmental tone I could muster.

I received a rejection letter in the mail the next day, so she must have overnighted that shit.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:12 pm

of course in a lot of cities the mayor sits on the council and has no formal veto power

Rocío

Bronze

Post by Rocío » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:13 pm

fatduck wrote:of course in a lot of cities the mayor sits on the council and has no formal veto power
Yeah, but this didn't really seem like the time to get into a nuanced discussion about it with her.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:14 pm

Rocío wrote:
fatduck wrote:of course in a lot of cities the mayor sits on the council and has no formal veto power
Yeah, but this didn't really seem like the time to get into a nuanced discussion about it with her.
true, a follow-up memo after the interview seems more appropriate in this situation

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rocío

Bronze

Post by Rocío » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:15 pm

fatduck wrote:
Rocío wrote:
true, a follow-up memo after the interview seems more appropriate in this situation
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:18 am

Last edited by Myself on Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:24 am

sunynp wrote:A junior associate at my firm got in trouble ( ie called into the partners office and lectured to) for being honest about his evening and weekend hours in an interview.

If someone tells you the truth as they see it about a firm, don't out them to recruiting.
I wouldn't out him, but I wish he could have lied to me. I'm desperate for a job too, but I'd like to go into it with a good attitude and liking the firm rather than feeling apprehensive about life there but taking the job anyway because I have no other offers. Honesty only helps those who have other options.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sunynp wrote:A junior associate at my firm got in trouble ( ie called into the partners office and lectured to) for being honest about his evening and weekend hours in an interview.

I wouldn't out him, but I wish he could have lied to me. I'm desperate for a job too, but I'd like to go into it with a good attitude and liking the firm rather than feeling apprehensive about life there but taking the job anyway because I have no other offers. Honesty only helps those who have other options.
You want him to just lie to you and sugar coat it? Tell you it's all gonna be okay and blabber on about how life at the firm is fun, when he knows full well that it isn't? Honestly, if you don't know that law firm work can be and often is miserable with long hours and weekend work, then it was probably good for you to hear this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:20 pm

Rocío wrote:
Yeah. The credited answer may have been "If you ask their constituents, they do as little as possible."

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:47 am

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:17 am

(Caveat: this is a funny and slightly awkward interview moment, not a bad interview moment.)

I'm at an CB dinner for firm X. Prior to the two associates arriving, I'm perusing the wine menu. The associates arrive, see me when the wine menu, and tell me to pick out two bottles, so I did. Later at dinner, the female associate talks about how she's going to be going to a different city fairly frequently, as her boyfriend is lateraling from a firm that she refused to name to a different firm in a different city (Boston). We pressed her on where the boyfriend worked now, but we couldn't get an answer.

The next day, I'm at a CB at firm Y. The regular interviews are over, and I'm about to head to lunch. A male associate, one of the two bringing me to lunch, meets me in a conference room. The conversation starts as follows.

Associate: So I heard you made some great wine selections last night.
Me: So I heard you're moving to Boston.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:33 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Fresh Prince wrote:
Sounds like they made a wise decision.

User has been outed and warned.
Yea. I should have lied on my NALP form to save that firm a few bucks. Career services recommended that I withdraw my application, since their offer to interview me only if someone else paid for it was clearly against NALP guidelines.

You're missing the point. You could have politely declined rather than laughed at the recruiter. The firm did something bad here and you managed to still come out of it not taking the higher ground.
Furthermore, if you didn't have an offer already, you gotta HUSTLE.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:56 pm

Just had an interview with a small firm. When asked "Why didn't you bid on us at OCI?" I responded with: "Quite honestly, because I was overconfident about how OCI would go." It just kind of came out.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just had an interview with a small firm. When asked "Why didn't you bid on us at OCI?" I responded with: "Quite honestly, because I was overconfident about how OCI would go." It just kind of came out.
:shock: :shock:

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just had an interview with a small firm. When asked "Why didn't you bid on us at OCI?" I responded with: "Quite honestly, because I was overconfident about how OCI would go." It just kind of came out.
Your subconscious even gave you time to stop by qualifying it with "quite honestly."

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:19 pm

IMO asking that Q at this point is just douchey... I mean, they know people still interviewing at this point are desperate, and that obviously OCI did not work out... Why even interview the person if you are going to ask that?? I mean, how many people are not giving an HR-game answer to that Q.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:22 pm

Gorki wrote:
IMO asking that Q at this point is just douchey... I mean, they know people still interviewing at this point are desperate, and that obviously OCI did not work out... Why even interview the person if you are going to ask that?? I mean, how many people are not giving an HR-game answer to that Q.
At least one person, apparently.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:25 pm

This is just as bad as if you would have asked them "why are you still interviewing even though you came to campus during OCI?" Bad form on their part.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is just as bad as if you would have asked them "why are you still interviewing even though you came to campus during OCI?" Bad form on their part.
OP here, yeah the more I think about it, the more upset I am that they asked me the question. But still, I should have prepared a lie that would have been more PC--because, I am getting desperate at this point.

TooOld4This

Silver

Post by TooOld4This » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This is just as bad as if you would have asked them "why are you still interviewing even though you came to campus during OCI?" Bad form on their part.
Not bad form. An entirely predictable soft-ball question. It is designed, unfortunately for the person who posted this, to screen out exactly that sort of answer. One of the things law firms are looking for is good judgment. This type of situation comes up all the time in practice. You are often asked entirely obvious questions that are uncomfortable. The interviewer was looking for the prepared response -- the question was designed to see if you could anticipate the obvious. For people who miss the A+ answer (an obviously prepared answer delivered in an easy-going manner), the B+ answer is one that shows that the interviewee was caught off guard, but has good instincts and still answers with grace.

Sorry, OP. Learn from this one and move on. Everyone has a foot-in-mouth interview story.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”