Milbank / Cahill / Jones Day

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Milbank
33%
Cahill
38%
Jones Day
29%

Total votes: 21

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:12 pm

Milbank / Cahill / Jones Day -- New York Offices.

Transactional Work. Not wedded to any particular practice area (finance, cap. mkts, m&a all have their appeal -- though probably in that order if ranking them). Not turned off by free market, nor do I have a strong preference for it. Enjoyed the people I interviewed with (and others I subsequently spoke with) at all 3. Recognize that Cahill compensation is better, but not sufficient to be determinative (esp. as there is no guarantee of it continuing). Like the idea of having good exit options (as I think a lateral move is much more realistic than partnership track).

Need to make a decision ASAP and any advice is welcome. Any general information/scuttlebutt about the firms is also welcome if you think it is useful in making an informed decision.

Anonymous User

Re: Milbank / Cahill / Jones Day

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:50 pm

If you are more leaning towards finance, then go with Milbank.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:02 pm

As far as exit options go, Jones Day probably wins. They finished #2 (just behind Skadden) in the most recent firm brand recognition survey among clients (i.e. clients know the name). Plus, they almost always finish toward the very top in client satisfaction surveys (partners at the firm don't get client origination fees, and partners don't "own" particular clients, so there is much less infighting and reason to just focus on the client service aspect). Thats a winning combo if you ever want to go in-house. Legal departments at all the big firms know the firm's name, and they widely recognize it as having among the best client service.

Keep in mind that Jones Day has its hand in pretty much every practice area, and with the free market system, you can try everything to your heart's content. Also, JD first year associates go "undeclared" and can continue trying out different groups throughout their first year, which cannot be said for the other 2 (or almost any other firm for that matter).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As far as exit options go, Jones Day probably wins. They finished #2 (just behind Skadden) in the most recent firm brand recognition survey among clients (i.e. clients know the name). Plus, they almost always finish toward the very top in client satisfaction surveys (partners at the firm don't get client origination fees, and partners don't "own" particular clients, so there is much less infighting and reason to just focus on the client service aspect). Thats a winning combo if you ever want to go in-house. Legal departments at all the big firms know the firm's name, and they widely recognize it as having among the best client service.

Keep in mind that Jones Day has its hand in pretty much every practice area, and with the free market system, you can try everything to your heart's content. Also, JD first year associates go "undeclared" and can continue trying out different groups throughout their first year, which cannot be said for the other 2 (or almost any other firm for that matter).

well said, JD Recruiting Department, well said.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As far as exit options go, Jones Day probably wins. They finished #2 (just behind Skadden) in the most recent firm brand recognition survey among clients (i.e. clients know the name). Plus, they almost always finish toward the very top in client satisfaction surveys (partners at the firm don't get client origination fees, and partners don't "own" particular clients, so there is much less infighting and reason to just focus on the client service aspect). Thats a winning combo if you ever want to go in-house. Legal departments at all the big firms know the firm's name, and they widely recognize it as having among the best client service.

That is patently false. Not sure about Milbank, but at Cahill you could do lit and corporate for a long time as an associate if you wanted to (although that's completely unwise). There is no such thing as "declaring" there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

That is patently false. Not sure about Milbank, but at Cahill you could do lit and corporate for a long time as an associate if you wanted to (although that's completely unwise). There is no such thing as "declaring" there.

What the above poster said. I know someone who switched teams completely a couple years in and about half my class was listed as in more than one practice area for a long time.

Chances are you'll figure out what you want to do pretty quickly though and pick a team.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Then I was misinformed. Thank you for clarifying on this.

darkarmour

Postby darkarmour » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Seconded, I heard the same thing from an upperclassman.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:47 pm

darkarmour wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Seconded, I heard the same thing from an upperclassman.

You do have to let them know what area(s) you want your name listed under so they can put you on the right mailing lists for library materials and events, but yeah, that's the extent of 'declaring' at CGR. One second year this last year was "listed" as Corp and doing full time Lit until finally getting the switch made official, and no one cared.

Return to “Legal Employment”