Advice on WilmerHale DC vs Covington DC?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm?

Covington DC
41%
WilmerHale DC
59%

Total votes: 27

Anonymous User

Advice on WilmerHale DC vs Covington DC?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:52 pm

I'm lucky to have offers from both firms but I'm torn between them. I'm interested in litigation. Does anyone have any insight/advice on either firm?

Anonymous User

Re: Advice on WilmerHale DC vs Covington DC?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm lucky to have offers from both firms but I'm torn between them. I'm interested in litigation. Does anyone have any insight/advice on either firm?

I know nothing about wilmer hale, but I know someone that did lit at CB. They were absolutely miserable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:30 pm

I voted Covington because you'll get to start in the brand new office building.

Other than that, I really liked the people I met at both firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:41 pm

In my experience, Covington is a tad more prestigious and Wilmer's people are a bit cooler and more laid-back.

Ultimately, though, TLS orthodoxy applies: go where you felt more comfortable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm lucky to have offers from both firms but I'm torn between them. I'm interested in litigation. Does anyone have any insight/advice on either firm?

I know nothing about wilmer hale, but I know someone that did lit at CB. They were absolutely miserable.

Why were they miserable at Covington?

I really liked the people I met at both firms so I'm having trouble picking one. How about as far as exit options? Would it be easier at either firm to go to the DOJ/government? Is Covington significantly more conservative than Wilmer? Would that impact exit options?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I really liked the people I met at both firms so I'm having trouble picking one. How about as far as exit options? Would it be easier at either firm to go to the DOJ/government? Is Covington significantly more conservative than Wilmer? Would that impact exit options?

Exit options are similar, but there are currently a couple dozen WilmerHale attorneys working in the administration, if you're into that sort of thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:55 pm

Wilmer is quite clearly on the liberal-side of the equation, whereas Covington is a little less branded. They're both obviously comparable, with some slight differences in what practice areas are their biggest strengths. They also seem to have substantially different business models overall.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Exit options are similar, but there are currently a couple dozen WilmerHale attorneys working in the administration, if you're into that sort of thing.

And there are a couple dozen Covington alums working in the administration (Eric Holder, Lanny Breuer).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Rumors that I've heard re: Cov lit is that they are incredibly busy, especially with IP. I've heard that for junior lit associates, it's very difficult to avoid doing at least a little bit of IP work. That said, like any other place, I've heard that it's pretty partner dependent - there are some partners worth avoiding, but others are great to work for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:20 pm

out of curiosity, OP, what is your school, rank, etc?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:And there are a couple dozen Covington alums working in the administration

Link? I found this Wilmer press release boasting "more than 20" working in the government as of 2009:

http://www.wilmerhale.com/about/news/ne ... ?news=1643

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:And there are a couple dozen Covington alums working in the administration

Link? I found this Wilmer press release boasting "more than 20" working in the government as of 2009:

http://www.wilmerhale.com/about/news/ne ... ?news=1643

Personal knowledge.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:22 pm

They are pretty much the same. Standard DC biglaw firms. Both are equally prestigious in DC. Just pick the place you like better. However, both are clearly inferior to places like W&C, Kellogg Huber, and Robins Russell, which are the class of DC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They are pretty much the same. Standard DC biglaw firms. Both are equally prestigious in DC. Just pick the place you like better. However, both are clearly inferior to places like W&C, Kellogg Huber, and Robins Russell, which are the class of DC.

? Wilmer and Cov might be inferior for, say, appellate work, but they also do top notch regulatory work that none of your "class of DC" firms could handle.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:out of curiosity, OP, what is your school, rank, etc?

MVP, I don't want to give anymore info right now but i'd be happy to PM you more info

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:19 pm

Can anyone compare these firms to prestigious NYC firms in terms of culture, hours, and exit options?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:41 am

Could anyone with offers at either firm say how long it came after the CB? Thankss :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Could anyone with offers at either firm say how long it came after the CB? Thankss :(

I think it was right around a week at each firm for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Could anyone with offers at either firm say how long it came after the CB? Thankss :(

Wilmer offer came 2 business days after the callback. Covington, 4 business days.

Return to “Legal Employment”