How not to sound like a prick when mentioning my firm? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
EvilClinton

Bronze

Re: How not to sound like a prick when mentioning my firm?

Post by EvilClinton » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:27 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:I have the opposite problem.

When I talk to non-law students they always ask where I am working. I tell them the name of my firm (a V100) and since they have not heard of it they assume it sucks. They say things like "oh well you can always transfer" or "well at least you aren't one of those ambulance chasers". In reality my firm is one of the top in this market but non-lawyers never hear about it.
You're either 1) a douche bag prestige whore or 2) you've surrounded yourself with douche bag prestige whores. I think your problem is harder to fix than OP's.
Why?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:28 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
That works too. I was just trying to provide "The Idiot's Guide to Basic Human Interaction Skills." Your example might get too complicated for some apparently (like OP) if they are overly nonchalant (when saying the city) and appear to be elusive about saying the firm's name.
Well, I agree if you are saying it the wrong way, no words can save you! But then it's hard to coach a natural not to be one...

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:31 pm

EvilClinton wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

When I talk to non-law students they always ask where I am working. I tell them the name of my firm (a V100) and since they have not heard of it they assume it sucks. They say things like "oh well you can always transfer" or "well at least you aren't one of those ambulance chasers". In reality my firm is one of the top in this market but non-lawyers never hear about it.
You're either 1) a douche bag prestige whore or 2) you've surrounded yourself with douche bag prestige whores. I think your problem is harder to fix than OP's.
Why?
Because you give a shit about what people think about the prestige level of your firm.

An idea: You could always print out the chambers rankings for your area and hand them a copy when you tell them your firm. That way they know how awesome your firm is (and, thus, you are). Bonus points if your firm is the #1 firm in the vault regional rankings.

ETA:
-Bonus points if you hand out salary info. But keep in mind you lose points if 1) your firm doesn't pay at least market and 2) your firm doesn't pay competitive bonuses.
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EvilClinton

Bronze

Post by EvilClinton » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Why is this a problem? If I go to the University of Chicago and some people think it's a crappy state school, who cares? My self-confidence is not built upon what other people think.
It isn't a big problem. I was just trying to show the contrast to the OP's situation. I don't sound like a "prick" to my friends because they have no idea what biglaw firms are.

EvilClinton

Bronze

Post by EvilClinton » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:35 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Because you give a shit about what people think about the prestige level of your firm.

An idea: You could always print out the chambers rankings for your area and hand them a copy when you tell them your firm. That way they know how awesome your firm is (and, thus, you are). Bonus points if your firm is the #1 firm in the vault regional rankings.
That isn't what I said at all. I was just trying to say that no one knows what I am talking about when I mention my firm. In fact, most of my friends assume it is crappy because they have not heard of it. It takes too much effort to explain how biglaw works so I just usually agree with whatever comments they make.

Also, most of them are medical students or medical residents so they think they are better than me no matter what I am doing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:37 pm

EvilClinton wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

That isn't what I said at all. I was just trying to say that no one knows what I am talking about when I mention my firm. In fact, most of my friends assume it is crappy because they have not heard of it. It takes too much effort to explain how biglaw works so I just usually agree with whatever comments they make.

Also, most of them are medical students or medical residents so they think they are better than me no matter what I am doing.
Leave your paystub out on your coffee table. Or tape it to your fridge.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:40 pm

EvilClinton wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

Well I allowed for the option that you've surrounded yourself with douche bag people in my first reply to you. My apologies for thinking your problem was entirely the first option.
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:44 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

Well I allowed for the option that you've surrounded yourself with douche bag people in my first reply to you. My apologies for thinking your problem was entirely the first option.
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
I've enjoyed this conversation. that is all.

EvilClinton

Bronze

Post by EvilClinton » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:44 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
I don't think they are D-bags but there is something about going into the medical field that gives you a God complex.

They all seem to think they are doing the most important thing in the world. In their eyes anything that makes more money is not as noble and anything more noble does not make enough money.

Okay they do sound like D-bags...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Byakuya769

New

Post by Byakuya769 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:45 pm

Similar annoyance with many of my friends and my T14 school. Might as well went to the local private school because it wasn't Harvard or "Princeton Law."

KidStuddi

Bronze

Post by KidStuddi » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:17 pm

Byakuya769 wrote:

Similar annoyance with many of my friends and my T14 school. Might as well went to the local private school because it wasn't Harvard or "Princeton Law."
... Lol. Why does the opinion of anyone, let alone those who clearly know so little about the legal profession, actually annoy you? Your life must be hard; so many people to impress.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:28 pm

Also, it is easier if you happen not to be a prick.

HTH

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Tell 'em you work for Bender & Bender.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fraught

New

Post by fraught » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:03 pm

Stanford4Me wrote:Tell 'em you work for Bender & Bender.
the cochran firm FTW.

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:10 pm

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Byakuya769

New

Post by Byakuya769 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:49 pm

KidStuddi wrote:
Byakuya769 wrote:

... Lol. Why does the opinion of anyone, let alone those who clearly know so little about the legal profession, actually annoy you? Your life must be hard; so many people to impress.
Who hurt you? You're asking me why friends not knowing about my goals is a minor annoyance, while seemingly being annoyed by a post from a random stranger? Ok. You must be a joy to be around.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:23 pm

This thread is also funny, because before I even started researching firms this summer, they were all just one big blur to me. Cravath? Bender & Bender? I would have said, "Awesome!" to them all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This thread is also funny, because before I even started researching firms this summer, they were all just one big blur to me. Cravath? Bender & Bender? I would have said, "Awesome!" to them all.
Anyone who would turn down Bender & Bender is a fool.

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:29 pm

Speaking of which, I went to see a play tonight (The Kite Runner), and we got to shmoozing with the old people behind us during intermission and after the play. So's she asks me if I'm in school here, and I say yes, in HLS.

So she tells me that when her daughter went there you would just say "a local school" and it was considered more humble.

Moral of the story: you can't win, when you're winning.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:37 pm

ben4847 wrote:Speaking of which, I went to see a play tonight (The Kite Runner), and we got to shmoozing with the old people behind us during intermission and after the play. So's she asks me if I'm in school here, and I say yes, in HLS.

So she tells me that when her daughter went there you would just say "a local school" and it was considered more humble.

LOL seriously? There was a thread about this also. DF was annoyed by people who say "a school in Boston" instead of Harvard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:17 am

I think trying to hide where you are working makes you sound like more of a prick. Kinda like when you ask somewhere where they went to school and they say "Boston." You should be proud of where you are working.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:19 am

ben4847 wrote:Speaking of which, I went to see a play tonight (The Kite Runner), and we got to shmoozing with the old people behind us during intermission and after the play. So's she asks me if I'm in school here, and I say yes, in HLS.

Lol that's dumb. By "being humble" and not naming your school you are assuming that people will be jealous of your school and that you need to not offend these people--which is consequently not humble at all.

shredderrrrrr

Gold

Post by shredderrrrrr » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:20 am

Byakuya769 wrote:
KidStuddi wrote:
Byakuya769 wrote:

Who hurt you? You're asking me why friends not knowing about my goals is a minor annoyance, while seemingly being annoyed by a post from a random stranger? Ok. You must be a joy to be around.
You seem to have a really good grasp of how TLS operates.

fraught

New

Post by fraught » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:31 am

shredderrrrrr wrote:

Lol that's dumb. By "being humble" and not naming your school you are assuming that people will be jealous of your school and that you need to not offend these people--which is consequently not humble at all.
THIS. The idea that you can't say "Harvard" or whatever because you don't want to alienate people makes you a bigger d-bag than if you just walked around yakking about going to Harvard.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:44 am

Fresh Prince wrote:You should just say something like this:

1: where are you working?
2: oh just at a law firm in new York.
1: which firm?
2: it's just a firm in manhattan
1: which firm in manhattan?
2: it's in midtown
1: which firm in midtown?
2: just across the street from the moma
1: orrick?
2: no, wachtell.

Works like a fuckin charm for those harvard kids
As someone who went to college "in Boston," this made me lol.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”