Can I bring a LOR to a callback

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Can I bring a LOR to a callback

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:41 am

Is it ok to include a very elaborate, flattering, and well-written LOR from a former employer at a callback? It was not written for law school, but for OCI (legal hiring). It was not written for any one specific person, but as something that I can give to interviewers.

johndhi

Re: Can I bring a LOR to a callback

Postby johndhi » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:31 am

sounds pretty weird to me. you say "include" it, but what would that physically mean, handing a copy of the letter to everybody who interviews you? it just doesn't sound like a splendid idea to me. maybe you can bring some copies with you and offer it if they ask - sometimes you get asked for a writing sample and you could offer a letter at the same time. but I wouldn't force it on people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:09 pm

What about just handing it to the recruiter at the end?

lr1995

Postby lr1995 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:55 pm

This could turn into a really awkward, desperate plea at the end of your CB. Best thing to do, if you want to do this without the firm's specific request, would be to give them a list of references, that's how it's usually done in the pro world. Also, LORs are generally sent directly from the recommender, so it would be an unconventional move in this respect too.

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:51 pm

lr1995 wrote:This could turn into a really awkward, desperate plea at the end of your CB. Best thing to do, if you want to do this without the firm's specific request, would be to give them a list of references, that's how it's usually done in the pro world. Also, LORs are generally sent directly from the recommender, so it would be an unconventional move in this respect too.

great points here, too. If I recall correctly I brought a list of references to CBs, too. that's probably your best bet.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it ok to include a very elaborate, flattering, and well-written LOR from a former employer at a callback? It was not written for law school, but for OCI (legal hiring). It was not written for any one specific person, but as something that I can give to interviewers.

No, this is a bad idea.

Return to “Legal Employment”