extracurriculars after having an offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

extracurriculars after having an offer

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:08 pm

This might be a dumb question, but I was wondering if once you have an offer for the summer, if it matters from that point whether you pursue things like moot court or other extracurricular activities that are looked upon favorably by employers? Right now I'm on a secondary journal and I would prefer to concentrate on grades instead of pursuing additional extracurriculars. Is my lack of outside-of-class ambition something that could jeopardize my chances of a permanent offer at the end of my eventual summer? Is there another reason to pursue additional extracurriculars at this point aside from personal development or long-term resume fluff?

TYIA

OneMoreLawHopeful

Re: extracurriculars after having an offer

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:16 pm

I would say pursuing extracurricular activities is still important for two reasons:

1) You have no way of knowing whether or not you will be involved in 3L OCI. This includes you hating the firm while you work for it over the summer and deciding that you really need to do something else.

2) As a 2L, I found the extracurricular stuff has already helped me quite a bit vis-a-vis networking. I already knew people who had summered at the firms I had CBs with, and in at least one case someone was even kind enough to advocate for me with a firm they had accepted a full time offer from. I never would have known the relevant upperclassmen except for joining various student orgs. I certainly wouldn't have been able to get an offered summer to advocate for me. Networking is a really powerful tool and it works in mysterious ways, don't pass up the opportunities when you have them.

That said...it's not like you're quitting the journal, right? Lots of people only do 1 or 2 activities, so you probably don't need to go nuts either.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:18 pm

OneMoreLawHopeful wrote:I would say pursuing extracurricular activities is still important for two reasons:

1) You have no way of knowing whether or not you will be involved in 3L OCI. This includes you hating the firm while you work for it over the summer and deciding that you really need to do something else.

2) As a 2L, I found the extracurricular stuff has already helped me quite a bit vis-a-vis networking. I already knew people who had summered at the firms I had CBs with, and in at least one case someone was even kind enough to advocate for me with a firm they had accepted a full time offer from. I never would have known the relevant upperclassmen except for joining various student orgs. I certainly wouldn't have been able to get an offered summer to advocate for me. Networking is a really powerful tool and it works in mysterious ways, don't pass up the opportunities when you have them.

That said...it's not like you're quitting the journal, right? Lots of people only do 1 or 2 activities, so you probably don't need to go nuts either.

Thank you, these are two good points. Thanks for the thoughtful input.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:33 am

Any advice regarding quitting a secondary journal? I have leadership positions in other activities, offers in hand, and am considering dropping the journal stuff. Do you think that matters?

Return to “Legal Employment”