Split Summer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Split Summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:14 pm

Having a really tough time deciding between two firms. Although I never thought I would do it, I'm now toying with the idea of doing a split summer. Both firms allow split summers, but they both say you must begin the summer with them. Has anyone successfully split a summer with two firms even when this requirement exists? Thanks for your help!

Richie Tenenbaum

Re: Split Summer?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:22 pm

I've heard stories about people in the past being able to bully firms into making things work for the student, but this was back when students had more power in the balance (and the person in particular was EiC of LR, top grades, etc.). I don't think you're going to be too successful convincing either firm to take you for a second half split. (I mean, they might not actually run their summer program that late--if they have a 8-10 week program, you could be essentially asking them to extend their program beyond when it normally ends.) I would decide which one you like better, and then try to see if the second favorite would budge on anything.

Anonymous User

Re: Split Summer?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:53 pm

My honest advice is don't even try. Just pick one and go with it.
Heard if you split summers, especially between two firms, you are less likely to get a permanent offer from either of them.
And probably any marginal benefit you may get from splitting summer won't outweigh this risk of not getting a perm offer.
So long as you have a job, you will never make a "bad" choice. So just pick one.

Return to “Legal Employment”