CB Interview question: Do you want to clerk?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

CB Interview question: Do you want to clerk?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:27 pm

What's the protocol? They'd want you to clerk, right? Interested specifically for Mayer Brown NYC and O'Melveny NYC. Thanks.

anon168

Re: CB Interview question: Do you want to clerk?

Postby anon168 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the protocol? They'd want you to clerk, right? Interested specifically for Mayer Brown NYC and O'Melveny NYC. Thanks.

Look at the bios of the satellite offices you are interviewing with. If they have a bunch of former clerks in their lit dept., then yes, they probably would want (or like) that you clerk.

Of course, I fully expect the general TLS wisdom to say that it's a covert way for the firm to "defer" your start date.

Good luck, either way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:48 pm

If you want to do litigation and they ask I'd say it was definitely something I'd consider. Clerking looks great for you and would probably look great for the firm.

I don't see any scenario in which saying that you'd be interested or at least consider clerking would be a negative.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:44 am

You may be reading too much into it. I got the question a lot during CBs and answered honestly ("Not really, but if I do decide to, it'll be after a few years in private practice.") It did not stop me from receiving offers at 3/4 firms who asked. I think it's just another question like, "so how do you like X law school?" There's not really a right or wrong answer, just a stock question that's relevant to law students.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:50 am

Sometimes the question also means that they won't seriously consider you for a summer associate position until you have acquired a clerkship. In this situation, you would be a summer associate between 3L and the clerkship.

Return to “Legal Employment”