Current Law Clerks: Use OSCAR or something else?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Current Law Clerks: Use OSCAR or something else?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:40 am

My judge asked me to start soliciting law clerk applications for next year. He doesn't care about grades, rankings, or law schools and doesn't care how or where I post this job position.

That being said, any current law clerks here have any experience with using OSCAR? I'm trying to tell what the advantages and disadvantages are and whether it is worth the hassle. The old law clerk used OSCAR, but didn't indicate what she thought of it. I figure it has features where you are able to filter applications for grades and rank, but since my judge doesn't care, I wouldn't use it. In the alternative, I was thinking of just sending a clerkship posting to all of the regional schools in the area.

Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Current Law Clerks: Use OSCAR or something else?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:13 am

Just bumping this. Any current clerks out there with OSCAR experience?

nevdash

Postby nevdash » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:33 pm

Why not just solicit the position here? From the looks of this year's clerkship thread, a ton of qualified candidates aren't getting interviews (me being one of them). Plus, you'd be doing a solid for a fellow TLSer.

...Okay, so I'm only half serious.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:29 pm

As a 3L currently going through the process, I think OSCAR is by far the most user friendly platform for applicants... But it probably also results in a deluge for chambers. But as an applicant there's nothing worse than an outdated or greyed out OSCAR listing.

FWIW, I've also received recruiting emails from judges forwarded through my school's (a T14) career office.

(Anon b/c I'm also applying for PI jobs now and I don't want those employers to somehow connect me with my screen name.)

Return to “Legal Employment”