Alston + Bird or Sutherland?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sparker47

Alston + Bird or Sutherland?

Postby sparker47 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:13 pm

G
Last edited by sparker47 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Alston + Bird or Sutherland?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:11 am

a+b because i would love to take your offer @ sutherland.

(this is the kind of advice you can expect to get from a message board)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:14 pm

Does anyone know what the offer rate for Alston + Bird was this past summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what the offer rate for Alston + Bird was this past summer?

My understanding is that if you don't burn the place down, Alston + Bird will make an offer. Not sure the exact offer rate from last summer, but I'm at a T14 and the summers from last year said everyone they knew in the program got an offer.

Plus, there are so many laterals in Atlanta who started at A + B, that your exit opportunities would be endless.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:41 pm

When did you guys get offers from A+B? I did callback the week before labor day holiday so its not looking so hot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:47 pm

Atlanta or otherwise? What practice group? Tax or no?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know what the offer rate for Alston + Bird was this past summer?

My understanding is that if you don't burn the place down, Alston + Bird will make an offer. Not sure the exact offer rate from last summer, but I'm at a T14 and the summers from last year said everyone they knew in the program got an offer.

Plus, there are so many laterals in Atlanta who started at A + B, that your exit opportunities would be endless.

It's not quite that automatic.

I knew a guy two years ago who didn't get an offer simply because there wasn't enough space in corporate. Then they gave him an offer for a non-Atlanta office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:38 pm

Sutherland!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:08 pm

a&b!! i think the people are happier there! (this is just my opinion though)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:15 pm

sutherland!!!! i loved that place....if only they had given me an offer :-/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Certainly seemed that way, associates spent all summer telling me just to be competent (low bar for a summer) and not sweat it

Anonymous User wrote:a&b!! i think the people are happier there! (this is just my opinion though)
Objective fact

Anonymous User wrote:sutherland!!!! i loved that place....if only they had given me an offer :-/
Absolute 180 reverse takedown

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:sutherland!!!! i loved that place....if only they had given me an offer :-/

Did you hear from the DC office by chance? Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:47 pm

Sutherland DC no offered 2 people this past summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:06 pm

What is the longest callback to offer timeframe anyone has heard of with the big atlanta firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sutherland DC no offered 2 people this past summer.

Are you sure that is accurate? I went on a CB and am pretty sure that they told me that they extended offers to all summer associates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:48 am

If this is Atlanta, and there are nothing special you are not telling us, A+B is the only move here. Sutherland has some nice people, but from talking with people I don't think the work is anywhere close.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If this is Atlanta, and there are nothing special you are not telling us, A+B is the only move here. Sutherland has some nice people, but from talking with people I don't think the work is anywhere close.

Agreed. I interviewed with Sutherland and A+B in Atlanta. I really liked Sutherland and everyone I met at the Atlanta office, but when I asked about particular projects associates (and a couple of partners) were working on, the A+B work seemed more exciting and meaningful. And by exciting and meaningful, I mean an A+B lawyer may be drafting a contract for a fortune 500 transaction, and the Sutherland lawyer would be drafting a contract for a local school district transaction. I did have a partner at Sutherland tell me he averaged 1900 billable hours for his first 7 years and was made partner on time, actually ahead of his classmates who went to NYC firms. It just depends on what kind of work you consider prestigious and how much you factor that into your decision. I think I could be very happy at either of those, but I ultimately chose a third firm instead.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If this is Atlanta, and there are nothing special you are not telling us, A+B is the only move here. Sutherland has some nice people, but from talking with people I don't think the work is anywhere close.

Agreed. I interviewed with Sutherland and A+B in Atlanta. I really liked Sutherland and everyone I met at the Atlanta office, but when I asked about particular projects associates (and a couple of partners) were working on, the A+B work seemed more exciting and meaningful. And by exciting and meaningful, I mean an A+B lawyer may be drafting a contract for a fortune 500 transaction, and the Sutherland lawyer would be drafting a contract for a local school district transaction. I did have a partner at Sutherland tell me he averaged 1900 billable hours for his first 7 years and was made partner on time, actually ahead of his classmates who went to NYC firms. It just depends on what kind of work you consider prestigious and how much you factor that into your decision. I think I could be very happy at either of those, but I ultimately chose a third firm instead.

This. Assuming Atlanta and not a die-hard tax associate, no reason to choose Sutherland over A&B. You can likely move A&B -> Sutherland in 3 years if you feel you made the wrong call. Probably can't go the other way unless you develop a niche practice, a book of business, or are truly exceptional.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sutherland DC no offered 2 people this past summer.

Are you sure that is accurate? I went on a CB and am pretty sure that they told me that they extended offers to all summer associates.

It's accurate.

Return to “Legal Employment”