accepted offer, can i ask to split now?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

accepted offer, can i ask to split now?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:57 pm

i accepted an offer with a firm in Silicon Valley on thurs sept 6. i declined another firm today on friday. firm 2 called me today and asked if i would consider splitting

so can i ask firm 1 to split the summer, even though i fully accepted them now?

what are the pros & cons of splitting between 2 different firms? will i jepordize my chances for a full-time offer later on?

would seriously appreciate any info you guys have

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: accepted offer, can i ask to split now?

Postby fatduck » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:03 pm

you can ask. probably pretty good chance they'll say yes as long as they get first half.

i wouldn't split if it's not a market where splitting is common, though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: accepted offer, can i ask to split now?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:01 pm

bump

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: accepted offer, can i ask to split now?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:13 pm

fatduck wrote:you can ask. probably pretty good chance they'll say yes as long as they get first half.

i wouldn't split if it's not a market where splitting is common, though.


Meh, if you can actually do a full summer at the first firm then I think it's pretty unlikely it will endanger you, i.e. do 8-10 weeks at first firm and then 4-6.
but don't split within same market

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: accepted offer, can i ask to split now?

Postby fatduck » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
fatduck wrote:you can ask. probably pretty good chance they'll say yes as long as they get first half.

i wouldn't split if it's not a market where splitting is common, though.


Meh, if you can actually do a full summer at the first firm then I think it's pretty unlikely it will endanger you, i.e. do 8-10 weeks at first firm and then 4-6.
but don't split within same market

if OP could do a full summer at the first firm, why would he be wringing his hands about asking them to split?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: accepted offer, can i ask to split now?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:56 pm

fatduck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
fatduck wrote:you can ask. probably pretty good chance they'll say yes as long as they get first half.

i wouldn't split if it's not a market where splitting is common, though.


Meh, if you can actually do a full summer at the first firm then I think it's pretty unlikely it will endanger you, i.e. do 8-10 weeks at first firm and then 4-6.
but don't split within same market

if OP could do a full summer at the first firm, why would he be wringing his hands about asking them to split?

not necessarily a full 12 weeks but if you can do 8-10 then it's not a big risk

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: accepted offer, can i ask to split now?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:19 am

OP here. i accepted firm 1 and it seemed like it was a full summer. there was never any mention of splitting. if i ask to split, that would be the first time that it comes up

both firms are in silicon valley. is it common to split there?

but yeah i was thinking 8 wks at the first one and 5 at the second

do ppl frequently split between firms? id personally only thought of splitting offices with the same firm

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: accepted offer, can i ask to split now?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:48 pm

Wow firm 2 ASKED you to consider splitting just to fit you in. That's pretty flattering.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: accepted offer, can i ask to split now?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:02 pm

Splitting is not common in SV, though someone in my last summer class did an 8/7 split (not sure how it turned out for him). Splitting overall is rare, though it's more common in some markets (TX/South/etc).

I think it looks bad going to your first firm and asking this now, but I'm not sure how bad. If I were you and you're certain of splitting, I'd ideally try to do 10/6 where you're still spending a full summer with your first firm. Granted that may not be possible depending on start dates and the like. If you're going to ask definitely talk to recruiting and not a partner/associate.

What I would consider: How much do you like firm 1? What are firm 1's historic offer rates? How much less do you like firm 2?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: accepted offer, can i ask to split now?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:05 pm

Don't do it. Sounds too risky.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273104
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: accepted offer, can i ask to split now?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:22 pm

OP here.
so i dont think im going to split
how should i tell that to firm 2?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18402
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: accepted offer, can i ask to split now?

Postby bk1 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.
so i dont think im going to split
how should i tell that to firm 2?


Thanks, but no thanks?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.