Cleary vs. Skadden vs. Paul Weiss - exit options to govt'?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cleary vs. Skadden vs. Paul Weiss - exit options to govt'?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:57 pm

I am fortunate enough to have offers from each of these firms (NY offices). I enjoyed the people I met during each of my callbacks, and am interested in litigation (unsure of specific area). However, I know I will probably want to get a government job (in DC, ideally) after 4 or 5 years if possible. Is there a significant difference in opportunities coming from any of these firms that I should be factoring in? All thoughts are appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: Cleary vs. Skadden vs. Paul Weiss - exit options to govt'?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:39 pm

Paul Weiss probably has the best connections with government and despite its lower V ranking, its litigation department is one of the best.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:46 pm

I strongly advise you to run far, far away from Skadden Litigation. Every single friend and classmate I have who went there at any point in the past 6 years is very, very full of regret.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:59 pm

I think a clear choice for Paul Weiss. In my mind, easily one of the top five biglaw firms for litigation. I didn't end up going there, but really liked the people I met during my callback and have heard good things about the culture.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Anyone know about where STB or Debevoise stack up on the same question - govt exit options?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:01 pm

I am also curious re: Debevoise/Paul Weiss/DPW (all NY) on exit options to gov't, particularly to USAOs in NY. Thanks all!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am also curious re: Debevoise/Paul Weiss/DPW (all NY) on exit options to gov't, particularly to USAOs in NY. Thanks all!

I would probably go with DPW in this situation. Exit opportunities to government, especially USAO, are incredible from Davis Polk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am also curious re: Debevoise/Paul Weiss/DPW (all NY) on exit options to gov't, particularly to USAOs in NY. Thanks all!

I would probably go with DPW in this situation. Exit opportunities to government, especially USAO, are incredible from Davis Polk.

Better than Paul, Weiss? Intriguing. Please elaborate...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Better than Paul, Weiss? Intriguing. Please elaborate...

Not much for me to elaborate on. I've talked to a ton of lawyers from a lot of different firms in NYC, and the consensus seems to be that Davis Polk is at the top of the game of placing people into things like USAO. I think that for the most recent year—I forget if this is for EDNY or SDNY or both—more USAO-incoming lawyers came from DPW than any other firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”