Davis Polk v Skadden

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Davis Polk v Skadden

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:56 pm

I started a previous thread on this but it's come down to these two options. This is my plan: I would love to work in London for a couple of years, then come back to NY and join an IP practice group, do IP for a couple more years, then go in-house in media or another big corporation (not a bank) in NY or London.

My most realistic options at this point are DPW and Skadden. Both allow me to split the summer NY/London and both are likely to allow me to start in London (though Skadden more likely). Skadden has big M&A work in Europe, while DPW is mostly cap markets. Don't know which of those I would prefer. Skadden has an enormous IP practice in NY, while DPW is very small. DPW gets high rankings across the board for associate morale and quality of life, while Skadden seems like a festering pool of misery, but I wonder if a foreign office rotation for a couple of years would allow me to escape the horror of junior associate life?

Thoughts appreciated - my deadline is today and I still can't decide...

Old Gregg

Re: Davis Polk v Skadden

Postby Old Gregg » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:58 pm

You're not going to do general corp work in the UK for a few years and then transfer to an ip group.

Anonymous User

Re: Davis Polk v Skadden

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:26 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:You're not going to do general corp work in the UK for a few years and then transfer to an ip group.

Okay, not necessarily "a few." What about for firms that have you do two one-year rotations before joining a group? Wouldn't it make sense to do general corporate during that time and then put in my request for a certain group (even if transferring offices would be difficult)?

Any advice on a way to better structure this, given my firm choices and general goals?

Return to “Legal Employment”