Latham LA vs. OMM LA/CC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Latham LA vs. OMM LA/CC

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:11 pm

Generally, I'm interested in corporate work, and I know OMM CC is heavily entertainment. Is there other work there aside from entertainment, or should I go Downtown if I go the OMM route?

Then, Latham vs. OMM. I'm concerned about both in terms of financial stability / job security, in addition to what's the better corporate practice.

Any thoughts / personal stories are much appreciated!

anon168

Re: Latham LA vs. OMM LA/CC

Postby anon168 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Generally, I'm interested in corporate work, and I know OMM CC is heavily entertainment. Is there other work there aside from entertainment, or should I go Downtown if I go the OMM route?

Then, Latham vs. OMM. I'm concerned about both in terms of financial stability / job security, in addition to what's the better corporate practice.

If you want to do corporate in LA, go to Latham.

If you are deciding between OMM in CC or LA for corporate work, go to OMM LA.

Why are you concerned about either firm's financial stability? Neither are going under in the next 5-10 years.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:32 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Generally, I'm interested in corporate work, and I know OMM CC is heavily entertainment. Is there other work there aside from entertainment, or should I go Downtown if I go the OMM route?

If you want to do corporate in LA, go to Latham.

If you are deciding between OMM in CC or LA for corporate work, go to OMM LA.

Why are you concerned about either firm's financial stability? Neither are going under in the next 5-10 years.

So, OMM in CC is a good option only for entertainment?

As for financial stability, that was linked in with job security. Latham had massive layoffs a couple of years ago. OMM recently laid off staff, and a ton of partners left the NY office last year. Just things I'm keeping in mind as I make my decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:40 pm

OMM CC is apparently a brutal, brutal work environment. Not saying that Latham is a lifestyle firm by any means, but I know multiple summers at OMM CC who say that they - as well as the associates - were regularly working till 4 AM, day in and day out. OMM LA is supposedly somewhat better, but still sweatshoppy. In any event, neither of these firms is as good for corporate stuff as Latham, so I think you have a pretty easy choice.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
So, OMM in CC is a good option only for entertainment?

No, but the CC office is very entertainment-centric, both in terms of corporate and litigation. People who go to that office either want to focus on servicing the entertainment industry clients, or prefer living on the westside.

Anonymous User wrote:As for financial stability, that was linked in with job security. Latham had massive layoffs a couple of years ago. OMM recently laid off staff, and a ton of partners left the NY office last year. Just things I'm keeping in mind as I make my decision.

Everyone had layoffs a few years back -- that was driven more by the economy than any firm's particular financial health. In other words, it was a systemic issue. And to use "massive" with layoffs in relation to LW is a bit misleading. The pure numbers may be big, but on a percentage basis the bloodletting was not nearly as astronomical when compared to firms of similar size.

And as far as partners leaving or staff being laid off, that happens all the time at all firms. Just a fact of life. People leave, people come. Don't read too much into it.

Reading tea leaves will only leave you near-sighted. No one really saw the Dewey debacle coming until it hit.

fish52

Postby fish52 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:56 pm

anon168 wrote:
Everyone had layoffs a few years back -- that was driven more by the economy than any firm's particular financial health. In other words, it was a systemic issue. And to use "massive" with layoffs in relation to LW is a bit misleading. The pure numbers may be big, but on a percentage basis the bloodletting was not nearly as astronomical when compared to firms of similar size.

I really don't understand this perspective. The layoffs were objectively massive--we are talking bout HALF of their first year class in NYC and a THIRD of their first year class in LA being axed at one time, without any evidence that they made any effort to pursue alternative response strategies. Looking at layoffs as a percentage of the size of the firm cuts both ways--it makes a good talking point for Latham recruiters when faced with rightfully cautious recruits, but it should make anyone skeptical of Latham's growth model. They were clearly growing too big, too fast (*ahem* Quinn). I think OP is rightfully concerned about going to work for a firm that won't hesitate to ruin the lives of 200 of its most vulnerable associates in order to keep PPP up. This is especially true given the gloomy outlook for the future of the legal market. http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... ekly_email

anon168

Postby anon168 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:05 pm

fish52 wrote:
anon168 wrote:

I really don't understand this perspective. The layoffs were objectively massive--we are talking bout HALF of their first year class in NYC and a THIRD of their first year class in LA being axed at one time, without any evidence that they made any effort to pursue alternative response strategies. Looking at layoffs as a percentage of the size of the firm cuts both ways--it makes a good talking point for Latham recruiters when faced with rightfully cautious recruits, but it should make anyone skeptical of Latham's growth model. They were clearly growing too big, too fast (*ahem* Quinn). I think OP is rightfully concerned about going to work for a firm that won't hesitate to ruin the lives of 200 of its most vulnerable associates in order to keep PPP up. This is especially true given the gloomy outlook for the future of the legal market. http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... ekly_email

And which biglaw firm would hesitate? I can probably think of 1, maybe 2 if I really strain all of my 60 IQ points.

And more pertinent to this post, OMM certainly would not hesitate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:01 pm

Sorry to hijack, but can anyone share more about OMM CC's sweatshoppy reputation? I have an upcoming CB there.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to hijack, but can anyone share more about OMM CC's sweatshoppy reputation? I have an upcoming CB there.

I think it's overblown and a bit of myth. Know people there and it is not more of a sweatshop than any other biglaw firm with a CC outpost.

Return to “Legal Employment”