Asking a Firm to Consider a Summer Split

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fingersxd

Asking a Firm to Consider a Summer Split

Postby fingersxd » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:29 am

What are people's thoughts on asking a firm to consider letting you split the summer?

I know most firms (particularly in NY) explicitly state that they don't allow this, unless for instance it is with a firm you did a 1L SA with. That said, I've heard (anecdotally, of course) of this working. Has anyone else heard of something similar? And how would you go about making this request?

Of course, TCR is for me to sack up and make a decision, but other than that I'd love some insight on my actual question(s).

anon168

Re: Asking a Firm to Consider a Summer Split

Postby anon168 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:35 am

Ever consider the search function? Or maybe just scrolling down a bit?

Re: Asking a Firm to Consider a Summer Split

Postby 09042014 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:15 pm

fingersxd wrote:What are people's thoughts on asking a firm to consider letting you split the summer?

I know most firms (particularly in NY) explicitly state that they don't allow this, unless for instance it is with a firm you did a 1L SA with. That said, I've heard (anecdotally, of course) of this working. Has anyone else heard of something similar? And how would you go about making this request?

Of course, TCR is for me to sack up and make a decision, but other than that I'd love some insight on my actual question(s).

Don't try to split at firms in markets where that is not the norm. It's a path to being no offer pwnd.

Return to “Legal Employment”