Etiquette For Rejecting An Offer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fingersxd

Silver

Etiquette For Rejecting An Offer

Post by fingersxd » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:25 am

Who do I reach out to? The hiring partner, the partner who called me to give me the offer, or the recruitment coordinator?

And what exactly do you say?

DCDuck

Bronze

Re: Etiquette For Rejecting An Offer

Post by DCDuck » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:30 am

"Something better came along, suckers! See you when I'm more successful than you!"

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:31 am

fingersxd wrote:Who do I reach out to? The hiring partner, the partner who called me to give me the offer, or the recruitment coordinator?

Call the hiring partner. Thank him/her for the offer and the terrific opportunity to join the firm for the summer. Say that it was an extremely difficult decision but that you just felt that another firm was a better fit for you and more suitable to your interests. Then thank him/her again.

Follow up with either a call or e-mail to the recruiting coordinator.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:24 pm

anon168 wrote:
fingersxd wrote:Who do I reach out to? The hiring partner, the partner who called me to give me the offer, or the recruitment coordinator?

Call the hiring partner. Thank him/her for the offer and the terrific opportunity to join the firm for the summer. Say that it was an extremely difficult decision but that you just felt that another firm was a better fit for you and more suitable to your interests. Then thank him/her again.

I'm going to disagree with this and just say email the recruiting coordinator, unless you have been in continuous contact with a partner (in which case an email or call to the partner will suffice, based on the amount of contact). If all the contact has just been a phone call giving you the offer, just email someone in recruiting. Just like you wouldn't want someone wasting your time with a rejection phone call, neither do busy partners when it's not necessary. All you have to say is "Thank you for your offer but I've decided to go in a different direction." They may ask you where; at that point it's your choice (but I normally told them, because really, what's the harm).

Loose Seal

New

Post by Loose Seal » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:

I'm going to disagree with this and just say email the recruiting coordinator, unless you have been in continuous contact with a partner (in which case an email or call to the partner will suffice, based on the amount of contact). If all the contact has just been a phone call giving you the offer, just email someone in recruiting. Just like you wouldn't want someone wasting your time with a rejection phone call, neither do busy partners when it's not necessary. All you have to say is "Thank you for your offer but I've decided to go in a different direction." They may ask you where; at that point it's your choice (but I normally told them, because really, what's the harm).

Agreed. Don't call the hiring partner. Email the recruiter, and if you had a strong connection with the hiring partner then drop him/her an email as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:37 pm

Loose Seal wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:

Agreed. Don't call the hiring partner. Email the recruiter, and if you had a strong connection with the hiring partner then drop him/her an email as well.
+1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:08 pm

I have the same question as the OP. Everyone I've talked to said I should call. Email seems easier for all parties, but I also don't want to burn any bridges as I really enjoyed my summer firm.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:26 pm

I would email the person who extended the offer as well as the recruiting coordinator. If you need to bark up that same tree later down the road, I think you will be glad you did.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:04 pm

IAFG wrote:I would email the person who extended the offer as well as the recruiting coordinator. If you need to bark up that same tree later down the road, I think you will be glad you did.
Would you suggest calling as well or just do 2 emails?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:I would email the person who extended the offer as well as the recruiting coordinator. If you need to bark up that same tree later down the road, I think you will be glad you did.
Would you suggest calling as well or just do 2 emails?
I would personally email because you don't want to get caught in phone tag to turn someone down. Shit's annoying for all involved.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:44 pm

Take a rejection letter that you got from a different firm. Copy it in an email, except make adjustments as necessary.

Rejection Example: Thanks for interviewing with firm X. While you are an excellent candidate, we are unable to extend to you an invitation for a callback due to the small limited program size. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Your Example: Thanks for interviewing with me. While [YYY] is an excellent firm, I am unable to accept your invitation for a offer due to [whatever reason]. I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Take a rejection letter that you got from a different firm. Copy it in an email, except make adjustments as necessary.

Rejection Example: Thanks for interviewing with firm X. While you are an excellent candidate, we are unable to extend to you an invitation for a callback due to the small limited program size. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Your Example: Thanks for interviewing with me. While [YYY] is an excellent firm, I am unable to accept your invitation for a offer due to [whatever reason]. I wish you the best in your future endeavors.
You forgot to add "I'm sure you will have a wonderful and successful career in the law."

lukertin

Silver

Post by lukertin » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:41 pm

You should take a rejection letter from a law firm and edit it to reflect the change in position, then send that to them.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Take a rejection letter that you got from a different firm. Copy it in an email, except make adjustments as necessary.

You forgot to add "I'm sure you will have a wonderful and successful career in the law."
I recommend something like this: A firm with your reputation and expertise will have little difficulty in finding other excellent summer associates.
While flattering them, you also get to brag about being excellent.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”